JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Nope I do not regret buying it! Bought it new!

I have a supermatch, it's about 3 years old. Runs like a top. I have put allot of rounds downrange with it. Don't mess around with any scope mounts other than Sadlak. Just bit the bullet, spend the money on the Sadlak steel mount, and enjoy :D Iron sights also work just fine..

I set up steel plates at ranges from 75-600 yards, just good fun!

Con's, are my wife also likes shooting it. And full mags become empty pretty quick.

Im an AK fan. I like piston systems with a charging handle I can really work. STEEL baby, steel!

Mags can be a little hard to insert depending on the manufacturer OR the magwell in the stock. Its an easy fix and eventually becomes smoother but thats if you're really working the rifle. For range use, its just fine.

I owned a PTR91, Cetme, C91 and C93 .. The roller lock system gave me more issues than I would have liked, enough to turn me off of them for good.
Hence the prefrence for a piston driven ststem with a reciprocating charging handle, WAY more reliable.

I think the best of both worlds would be a Squad Scout. Its got an 18" barrel so it has a little more velocity than the socom and its not as unwieldy like the longer barrel of the M1A.

Pros:
Accurate
Plentiful mags on the market
Different optics mounts
Not picky with ammo
Lastly with the market saturated with chassis systems if you want to change the look and feel (it'll cost you) but they are out there.
3 (standard) types of setups to choose from (barrel length wise) Im sure there are more, Im just referencing the Socom, Scout and Standard

Cons:
Scout and socom are pricey compared to a standard and even loaded M1A (basic models I mean)
A little heavy for some
Obnoxiously long (the standard M1A)
Sometimes a tight magwell
Spews gas out from under the barrel and can coat your Molle pack that your rifle is resting on as you dial in your new optic with a nice carbon circle haha.
Also they're addictive, once you have one you'll want the other model(s) you DONT have which is probably the biggest con..

Seriously, buy one.. You may not have a lot of time.

I like my M14 just not as much as my AR10. It's fun to shoot and the recoil is more manageable when getting back on target due to heft and op-rod system. I like both of your options that you are deciding between but find it kind of an odd fork in the road choosing between a nice 1911 and an M14/M1A. Good luck on your decision. Either one will be fun.

Ill add, high end 1911s are a waste of time unless you're a collector or a pistol only shooter.

If you're collection is diverse, a 1911 is a drop in the hat.. An M1A is where its at. ;)

Ive had an M1A for almost 20 years. I used it for service rifle matches. Picked up a Colt HBAR and I havent competed with my M1A in 10 years and havent shot it in 8 years.

I am more likely to buy a rifle for what it is, like my 1903 Springfield or an M1 Garand. I like pre-64 Model 70s too. Im a rifle nut and thats all there is to it.

Handguns, on the other hand, are bought for one purpose only. I have a great 1911 I bought 11 years ago. Every modification to it has been to make it a fighting gun, nothing else. I carry a Glock.

I love my M1A. I shoot it in High power rifle matches out to 600 yards.
I use the iron sights have never put a scope on it. Mine is custom built
on a Springfield receiver and with a heavy Douglas barrel. The NM M1A is
superior in accuracy compared to other 308 rifles. In my experience. :rolleyes:
P1000062.JPG

P1000062.JPG

Thanks for the time guys. Presently, I am eyeballing a 1979 Springfield super-match. I haven't yet put my hands on it as it is about a 3 1/2 hour drive from me.
I am having trouble deciding if I want a full size one or a scout squad though. If I could find a 18" as accurate and not more than 2300 I would jump on it.

My first was an M1A Scout, all the rest have been custom built by Smith Enterprise on forged Norinco & Poly Tech M14 receivers that I supplied. The 18" barrel length is the best non-22" barrel out there, and it is battle proven. BTW, I owned a nice AR10, and sold it to fund another M14 build - no regrets.

I have injured my hand an wrist enough that a Monte Carlo stock is painful for me to shoot so I use stocks with pistol grips, I've tried just about every pistol grip stock out there. The factory Iron sights on a 22" barrel are awesome, RDS & magnification scopes are best on the shorter barrels.
I prefer an Aimpoint on my CQB-16 in a lightweight Blackfeather "RS" with "LSP" & other accessories.

Watch Tony Ben's excellent videos on YouTube to learn more about the M14 & M1A.
https://www.youtube.com/user/tonyben3

5-14s.JPG BF-RS.SFU.12.06.JPG IMG_4336.JPG

Last Edited:
My first was an M1A Scout, all the rest have been custom built by Smith Enterprise on forged Norinco & Poly Tech M14 receivers that I supplied. The 18" barrel length is the best non-22" barrel out there, and it is battle proven. BTW, I owned a nice AR10, and sold it to fund another M14 build - no regrets.

I have injured my hand an wrist enough that a Monte Carlo stock is painful for me to shoot so I use stocks with pistol grips, I've tried just about every pistol grip stock out there. The factory Iron sights on a 22" barrel are awesome, RDS & magnification scopes are best on the shorter barrels.
I prefer an Aimpoint on my CQB-16 in a lightweight Blackfeather "RS" with "LSP" & other accessories.

Watch Tony Ben's excellent videos on YouTube to learn more about the M14 & M1A.
https://www.youtube.com/user/tonyben3

View attachment 275154

View attachment 275152 View attachment 275153

lol, i didn't know you posted here, i've seen your collection on the net other places, always drool worthy!

Was trained on the M14 in the Marines. I bought an early M1A in '76 when I was just two months out. Loved it. All GI parts except for the receiver. The new SA ones I've handled at gunshows feel much thicker/bulkier than the original. They seem to have a lot more wood on them. Mine always ran well. I even fired a few fairly mild cast bullet loads through it and it cycled (albeit noticeably slower). I still prefer the M14 to any of the other similar category rifles.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top