JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Interested in getting a M1 Garand just for casual plinking. Whats one expect to pay for a decent clean working model? Where a good place to get one (internet, local, gun show)?

The best place to get a great shooter is through the CMP. You usually get a better gun than expected and it won't be an import gun. Takes a little paperwork but well worth it and they ship the rifle directly to you.

CMP Sales

You may want to check out the requirements for purchasing through CMP before you go to make sure everything is in place when you get there. I had to become a member of an NRA affiliated organization (I chose the Oregon State Shooting Association) and have proof of that. You have to show that you have participated in a shooting competition (or in my case I am over 60 so there is a waiver of that) and some other requirements which you can view at their website. It probably will not be as easy as walking in the door and walking out with an M1. Anyone here can correct me if I am wrong.

The other thing requires patience and some learning. Learn about Garands, what to look for and how much, then patiently watch the used firearm market. People will buy them and then later decide it is not the best firearm for them or some other reason and trade/sell it off.

as it has been mentioned; CMP is a excellent source.

Look over the pricing at CMP, this well give you an idea of what one should cost in various conditions. There are a few gunsmiths that specialize in rebuilding Garands if you decide on a better shooter. Sometimes you can find these used at CMP prices.

We are having a CMP Garand Match in Longview, WA on August 27th. If you participate in the match you can fulfill the match requirement to order your rifle.
Check out this website for more info.

<broken link removed>

You may want to check out the requirements for purchasing through CMP before you go to make sure everything is in place when you get there. I had to become a member of an NRA affiliated organization (I chose the Oregon State Shooting Association) and have proof of that. You have to show that you have participated in a shooting competition (or in my case I am over 60 so there is a waiver of that) and some other requirements which you can view at their website. It probably will not be as easy as walking in the door and walking out with an M1. Anyone here can correct me if I am wrong.

I am waiting until september to join The Garand Collectors Association they send your paper work directly to cmp after you join and you dont have to pay member dues like a shooting range. Another member showed me that.

I am waiting until september because all of the memberships expire on september, doesnt matter when you payed for your membership, that way I get 1 full year.

If you have a CHL that also covers your handling requirement.

Another great club you can join is the M1 Collectors Club. Membership is only $14 per year and entitles you to purchasing from the CMP as well. Memberships run 1 year from whenever you purchase your membership unlike the GCA. Just another option, YMMV.

<broken link removed>

Another option is to buy from Tony. You don't have to jump through all of the hoops the CMP requires. (Which can be a major pain in the a$$). Plus shipping is much faster, and you don't have to wait months for a rifle. With the CMP if their is any problem with your background check they will not contact you about. Your order gets tossed into a pile for 30 days, then gets cancelled. I found this out the hard way after placing an order for 3, M-1 Special models last year.

In my opinion the CMP is too much of a pain to deal with. Some have good luck with them, but if any kinks pop up you're flat out screwed. To me they are simply not worth the hassle. 3 years ago I purchased 3, 480 round cases of their Greek .30-06 ammo and got it at a good price, ($381.00 delivered Fed Ex). That wasn't a bad price for a total of 1,440 rounds of Mil-Surp .30-06. Now they have raised the price to the point you can almost buy commercial stuff for the same price.

The CMP was founded as a good way to get people into the sport of shooting at a modest price. But now they are running it like any other business. Their prices are no deal at all. You have far too much red tape to deal with. And the waiting is ridiculous. Not to mention spending $1,000.00+ for a rifle sight unseen that isn't new, isn't exactly a gamble many want to take. Yes, if you buy from Tony it is much the same, but the rifle will come with pretty much new everything, so cosmetically the gun will be new. Also, he has an excellent reputation, and will make anything right. Puls the turnaround time compared to the CMP is like night and day. Bill T.

Somebody should probably just mention that the M1 Garand isn't exactly a cheap gun to plink with, but if you can afford the ammo, and if it's what you really want, then go ahead.

Careful reloading of the Garand is possible, and for me, it helps make it a cheap rifle to shoot/plink with. Like others have mentioned, CMP is the easiest & best place to get your Garand, supports a great organization, and helps the next generation with the shooting sports.

A great forum to check out for Garands... => Culvers Shooting Page (jouster.com)

M-1 is fun to shoot and very collectable. This Saturday Aug. 13, Garand Match at Douglas Ridge. They have ammo for sale and M-1's to loan. Come out and give it a try. The match is 50 shots plus sighters
standing, sitting and prone. 200-300-600 yards. They have a class Friday night to learn the basics of position shooting and target pulling. Newbie's are welcomed and helped along. It is a good group of guys
and gals. Come out and shoot John C.'s rifle the way it was intended. See you there.

Douglas Ridge Rifle Club - CMP Program

M2 Ball is best. I reload and have a load worked up for my Garands. You can also get an adjustable gas plug and shoot any ammo you want and you can adjust it to just cycle the gun thus saving wear and tear on the gun.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top