JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Here is my Springfield Special Grade I got through CMP for $995...basically a brand new M1 Garand. I just missed out on getting a Carbine through them and they posted they ran out just as I was getting ready to send the order in.

IMG_4527.jpg

What a beautiful piece of walnut. Nice M-1. Now you have to shoot it in some Garand matches. Use correct ammo that does not overload the gas system. If CMP supply dries up prices will be going up!
I have purchased several M-1's and 03's from the CMP. My first M-1 from back then it was the DCM, an all original 1943 Springfield for $165.

Dunno what problems billt ran into, but I found the process for both my Field grade Garands was quite simple. Sometimes there is a wait as delivery depends on stock and volunteer preparation of the rifles.

I loved that I could have the M-1 delivered right to my front door and thumb my nose at all the California crap.

There are various grades at different prices: Rack, Field, Service, Correct, Collector and Special. Mine are Field grade and were about $400 each at the time.

If you go to the store or to a shoot sponsored by CMP where they are selling rifles you can have an idea of the quality when you purchase. Mine were both luck of the draw, with one shooting 2" groups at 100 yards and the other closer to 4".

Dunno what problems billt ran into, but I found the process for both my Field grade Garands was quite simple.

Oh, it's simple all right. It just doesn't work so well sometimes. Since you mentioned it I'll explain what happened to me. A little over a year ago I placed an order for 3 CMP "Special" M-1 Garands. The order came to a little over $3,000.00, and took me the better part of the day to assemble, per the CMP's instructions. I filled out the required forms and applications. I went to the bank and got it notarized. I included proof of membership of a CMP sponsored gun club. I even included current, valid copies of my C&R FFL, as well as my Arizona State CCW license, along with a copy of my drivers license just to make sure everything went smoothly.

I then began the long, drawn out waiting process, which seemed quite unusually long for some reason. Then, I received an E-Mail in my inbox. I was all excited thinking my order had finally moved to the shipping process. Instead I found out that my order was in fact cancelled because, according to them, my background check came up "DELAYED", not "DENIED".

So instead of contacting me and informing me that there was a problem, my order was tossed into a pile on someones desk, where it sat for a solid month. Then, it was cancelled. All without so much as a letter or a phone call telling me there was any problem what so ever.

This is where things get screwed up. The CMP makes it own rules in regards to background checks. Under normal conditions, per FBI rules and regulations, if a Federal "Instacheck" comes up "delayed", and the FBI doesn't make any further contact after the fact, the sale can, and should proceed as normal after 48 hours. It is very common for people to have background checks "delayed" for bogus reasons. The system is very flawed in that regard. The FBI knows this, and that is why the "proceed after 48 hours" rule is in place in case of a "delayed" check.

It is also the reason why I included my C&R FFL, as well as my current, valid Arizona CCW. You are required to go through a much more stringent background check for both with the FBI as well as the ATF requiring fingerprinting, than you are for a simple firearm purchase. No matter because the CMP makes up it's own rules, and informs no one of this until well after the fact. Had they called me immediately I could have jumped on it and possibly corrected the problem. But instead they just ignored the whole thing for a month, (why I have no idea), then cancelled the entire order.

This effectively put me right back at square one. They sent me some sort of packet containing a bunch of forms to fill out and send to the FBI trying to straighten this whole mess out. By this time I was so damn disgusted with the whole matter I just dropped it and chalked it up to a bad experience. Besides, I'm not even required to have a background check performed when I purchase a weapon because of the fact I already posess a current, valid CCW. Again, this complies with Federal, as well as state laws. But the CMP could care less.

If your order went smoothly for you, as many do, I am happy for you. Just so people know that if you happen to hit the slightest snag in the order process, the CMP will not be very accommodating. They are a bureaucracy just like any other, and are run as such, and believe me it shows. Bill T.

This is yet another incident I went through about 5 years ago along the same lines when I purchased a Weatherby Vanguard rifle from a local Wal-Mart in my area. It relates to the above fiasco I went through with the CMP.

Before I get pounded from the, "I'd NEVER buy a gun from Wal-Mart!", crowd, these were a special run of rifles from Weatherby in .300 Weatherby Magnum that were sold exclusively through Wal-Mart at a very good price. So if I wanted the rifle I had to purchase it from them.

In going through the purchasing process, filling out the 4473 form and all, the clerk, who didn't have much of a clue what he was doing, started to run a background check on me. I informed him that I had a valid Arizona CCW, and that a background check was not necessary. He argued and said everyone including police have to go through it. I then told him to inform the person on the other end I had a valid CCW, which of course he did not.

The check came up "DELAYED". I asked him why he didn't inform them that I had a valid CCW? He gave me zero response. I got angry and demanded the number to the Instacheck line he just called. He reluctantly gave it to me and I left. I returned home leaving the gun along with the filled out form on the counter, and told him I'll be right back. I called the number and told the lady on the other end what had just happened. She asked me for the number on my CCW, which I gave her. I could hear her typing on a keyboard in the background as I read her the number.

She asked me which Wal-Mart I was dealing with, and I told her. She then told me to go there immediately, and assured me my rifle would be waiting for purchase when I got there. When I arrived and went straight to the gun counter, the clerk, along with the sporting goods department manager, and the Store Manager were all waiting for me! All were extremely apologetic.

My guess is the Store Manager got a good, solid a$$ reaming from that woman on the phone for tying up their system with totally unnecessary background checks. This is what happens when stores, along with the CMP, who sell guns start making up their own rules that go beyond what is actually required by Federal and state laws. Things get real screwed up, real fast. I ended up making 2 trips instead of one, and a purchase that should have taken 10 minutes tops, wound up taking the better part of an afternoon. All because of people who don't know the law, but think they in fact know better. Bill T.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top