JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Good News: have a 1954 HRA Garand en route. Super clean with cosmoline in protected areas.
Bad News: shot up all the Greek mil-surp 10 years ago on the Garand I shouldn't have sold.

So, with the 40s vintage mil brass I have acquired, any suggestions on a tame bullet/powder/primer combination to get started. Have read a few older posts and have followed the advice of IMR 4895 as a starter; seems to make sense with a Sierra Match King 168 gr. BTHP as the closest thing to a military load.
I would appreciate any insights you fellows would have to reduce my learning curve.
To say I'm excited about putting this piece of genius to my shoulder is an understatement.
Thanks.

46.5 grains of IMR 4064 or 46.5 of Varget under a 168 with CCI 34 primers loaded to 3.30 OAL. IMR 4064 is available everywhere, and for my Garand, has been more accurate than Varget.

Ted

If you handload for the M1, I would highly recommend the Schuster adjustable gas plug. It reduces battering on the operating rod, bolt lugs, and receiver. And it takes the kick out of the recoil. Not that the recoil is bad anyway...

I run a different load than most. I got more than 10+ reloads out of my brass. I run 47.4 gr of H4895 Hornaday 150 gr fmjbt WLR primers. Coal around 3.300
Your rifle most likely is different.
Always start low and work your loads up.

Can't believe that more M1 shooters haven't chimed in.
Good luck and have fun.

HotRod

Yea buy a new reloading book and look up the loads listed specifically for the M1

Hornady and Serria and I believe Speer all have specific loads for the M1 Garand

To add to the gas plug suggestion, there is a better one available that is 'set', no adjustment or worry re what pressure you're running, it's technically and scientifically sound.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top