Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

M1 Garand, suggestions

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by chefbq, Apr 14, 2016.

1. chefbq

chefbq Milwaukie New Member

Good News: have a 1954 HRA Garand en route. Super clean with cosmoline in protected areas.
    Bad News: shot up all the Greek mil-surp 10 years ago on the Garand I shouldn't have sold.

So, with the 40s vintage mil brass I have acquired, any suggestions on a tame bullet/powder/primer combination to get started. Have read a few older posts and have followed the advice of IMR 4895 as a starter; seems to make sense with a Sierra Match King 168 gr. BTHP as the closest thing to a military load.
    I would appreciate any insights you fellows would have to reduce my learning curve.
    To say I'm excited about putting this piece of genius to my shoulder is an understatement.
    Thanks.

2. 415DET

415DET Hillsboro Oregon Member

46.5 grains of IMR 4064 or 46.5 of Varget under a 168 with CCI 34 primers loaded to 3.30 OAL. IMR 4064 is available everywhere, and for my Garand, has been more accurate than Varget.

Ted

3. dlurvey

dlurvey Aloha, Oregon Member

I've found good results with 47 gns of IMR 4895 with the Sierra 168 HPBT MK.

uscsoldier likes this.
  4. chefbq

chefbq Milwaukie New Member

Excellent, thank you gentlemen.

5. Velzey

Velzey Estacada, Oregon Gunsmith Gunsmith Bronze Vendor Bronze Supporter

If you handload for the M1, I would highly recommend the Schuster adjustable gas plug. It reduces battering on the operating rod, bolt lugs, and receiver. And it takes the kick out of the recoil. Not that the recoil is bad anyway...

uscsoldier, Ura-Ki and jbett98 like this.
  6. Modeler

Modeler Molalla, Oregon Soccer Fan

Ura-Ki likes this.
  7. HotRod61

HotRod61 Happy Valley Active Member

I run a different load than most. I got more than 10+ reloads out of my brass. I run 47.4 gr of H4895 Hornaday 150 gr fmjbt WLR primers. Coal around 3.300
    Your rifle most likely is different.
    Always start low and work your loads up.

Can't believe that more M1 shooters haven't chimed in.
    Good luck and have fun.

HotRod

Ura-Ki likes this.
  8. Mark W.

Mark W. Silverton, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Yea buy a new reloading book and look up the loads listed specifically for the M1

Hornady and Serria and I believe Speer all have specific loads for the M1 Garand

9. ma96782

ma96782 Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

Google: Master Po's reloading recommendations for the M1.

Aloha, Mark

HotRod61 and etrain16 like this.
  10. F2CMaDMaXX

F2CMaDMaXX West of Portland from England Bullet goes where now? Staff Member Bronze Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

To add to the gas plug suggestion, there is a better one available that is 'set', no adjustment or worry re what pressure you're running, it's technically and scientifically sound.

11. Modeler

Modeler Molalla, Oregon Soccer Fan

And that gas plug is?

12. F2CMaDMaXX

F2CMaDMaXX West of Portland from England Bullet goes where now? Staff Member Bronze Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

13. PaulB47

PaulB47 Hillsboro Well-Known Member

Another vote for the Schuster. And get yourself a case guage. Double-check every round that is going into your rifle.