Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

M1 Garand serial number

Discussion in 'Rifle Discussion' started by Nova guy, Jan 11, 2011.

1. Nova guy

Nova guy salem OR Member

I hope this the place for the post.I have a M1 Garand,The date is 1944 It is a Springfield with a serial number of 499507.The only other numbers on it are 2SA644.Any help with production info.Thanks

2. MountainBear

MountainBear Sweet Home, OR Well-Known Member

Looks like the receiver was manufactured in February of 1942. The other parts are parts drawing numbers. There are a number of good books around if you want to find out if all the parts are correct for your gun. There should be a date on the barrel, visible when the op rod is locked back. A correct barrel would be an SA barrel with a date on or before 02/1944...
    The stock should have several cartouches, including an ordnance stamp and inspectors initials.

3. Nova guy

Nova guy salem OR Member

Thanks for the help.That is what I needed.
    Thank you for your time

4. SAR1846

SAR1846 Oregon Member

To add on to MtnBear's info....

A lot of Garands were rebuild many many times, especially a 6 digit rifle like yours (early war). I wouldn't necessarily worry much about "correcting" the parts for your rifle. I would make sure all my parts meet spec, check my op rod spring, check my sights to make sure they are tight, check stock fit & trigger guard, and drag it out to the range.

If you are looking for a lot of specific garand info... jouster.com is a good one, as well as odcmp.com

HtH