Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!
  2. We're giving away over $1,000 in prizes this month in the Northwest Firearms Winter Giveaway!
    Dismiss Notice

M1 Garand serial number

Discussion in 'Rifle Discussion' started by Nova guy, Jan 11, 2011.

1. Nova guy

Nova guy salem OR Member

I hope this the place for the post.I have a M1 Garand,The date is 1944 It is a Springfield with a serial number of 499507.The only other numbers on it are 2SA644.Any help with production info.Thanks

2. MountainBear

MountainBear Sweet Home, OR Well-Known Member

Looks like the receiver was manufactured in February of 1942. The other parts are parts drawing numbers. There are a number of good books around if you want to find out if all the parts are correct for your gun. There should be a date on the barrel, visible when the op rod is locked back. A correct barrel would be an SA barrel with a date on or before 02/1944...
    The stock should have several cartouches, including an ordnance stamp and inspectors initials.

3. Nova guy

Nova guy salem OR Member

Thanks for the help.That is what I needed.
    Thank you for your time

4. SAR1846

SAR1846 Oregon Member

To add on to MtnBear's info....

A lot of Garands were rebuild many many times, especially a 6 digit rifle like yours (early war). I wouldn't necessarily worry much about "correcting" the parts for your rifle. I would make sure all my parts meet spec, check my op rod spring, check my sights to make sure they are tight, check stock fit & trigger guard, and drag it out to the range.

If you are looking for a lot of specific garand info... jouster.com is a good one, as well as odcmp.com

HtH