JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I asked help for this on one forum or another but cannot find my post. Anyway, I've found the answer and thought I'd share just in case I'd posted here.

The issue was that after emptying, the clip failed to eject. I had to pull the stock to get it out.

As it turns out, I was trying to work up the correct setting on my Schuster adjustable plug for commercial ammo and I had not adjusted to the point that the bolt was being pushed all the way back. There is a lock position short of all the way back that blocks the clip from ejecting. Cranking the Schuster plug to the point the brass is ejecting correctly also permits the clip to eject.

Sum ping wong? Ah-lite, ah-lite.

stop_stop.jpg

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:
Pick up a .308 garand, no plug necessary with most ammo! Haha. I used a Schuster plug in my .30-06 garand but it was non-adjustable (constant increased plug volume).. I could fire pretty much any commercial or milspec ammo without ejection issues.

I had a "Tanker" Garand in .308.

It would occasionally jam (feeding IIRC) and taking the action out of the stock seemed to be the only way I could clear it. Convinced me that this was not the Battle Rifle for me. I like shooting them, but clearing them? No. :(

The rifle is operating correctly now and placing rounds very satisfactorily despite being a Fild grade and my wonky eyes.

The adjustable plug is intended to ensure the pressure from the gases produced by the round is not high enough to damage an op rod. Need to set it to where it is allowing enough pressure to allow the op rod to drive the bolt all the way back. The "almost far enough position" is not obvious as the bolt is picking up rounds without fail. For more knowledable M1 owners, the angle at which brass is being ejected is probably a good indication.