Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

M1 Garand book

Discussion in 'Rifle Discussion' started by Andy, Jan 14, 2010.

1. Andy

Andy Aurora, OR Active Member

A friend of mine is fairly new to firearms and is very interested in M1 Garands. I can see an infatuation growing here. (I consider this a good thing)

Anyway, his birthday is coming up soon and I'd like to get him a good book on Garands. I've seen some decent reviews on Amazon of Jim Thompson's books. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Remember, he's just starting, so a good mix of history, facts, pics and identification would be great. Not too dry, not to comic-book.

Thanks!!

2. trainsktg

trainsktg Portland OR Well-Known Member

"M1 Garand: Owners Guide" by Duff is pretty good.

Keith

3. BSG 75

BSG 75 Oregon Well-Known Member

I have almost every Garand book published and I don't recommend Jim Thompson's books for what you are seeking.

Although the "M1 Garand: Owners Guide" is pretty good, I think the best choice for your friend is Bruce Canfield's Complete Guide to the M1 Garand and the M1 Carbine. Easy to read with nice illustrations, history, identification, etc. And, as an extra added bonus, the second half of the book is about the M1 Carbine. It's like getting two books for the price of one!

If your friend prefers looking at pictures to reading there is THE M1 GARAND: Classic American Small Arms at War which has no history, facts, identification, etc. It is a picture book with nothing but clear period pictures of the Garand in World War II and Korea, many never published before.

4. trainsktg

On your recommendation, I'll have to order the Canfield book. I already have two carbine books, but one can't have too many books, can one :) ? Thanks.

Keith

5. BSG 75

BSG 75 Oregon Well-Known Member

Do you have War Baby! The U.S. Caliber .30 Carbine, Vol. 1? That is the best M1 Carbine book available.

6. trainsktg