Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

M1 carbine re-loading die

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by de3x90r, Feb 24, 2011.

1. de3x90r

de3x90r Beaverton New Member

Who makes a good re-loading die for the M1 carbine and a good place to buy one. Bi-Mart can't order them. Anyone have one for sale?

Last edited: Mar 17, 2011
  2. deadeye

deadeye Albany,OR. Moderator Staff Member

3. SAR1846

SAR1846 Oregon Member

I've stuck with RCBS, mostly for the customer service aspect. Good quality stuff. Keep an eye out here, and the online markets (midway/etc) for sales.

4. AMProducts

AMProducts Maple Valley, WA Jerk, Ammo Manufacturer Silver Supporter

RCBS makes a carbide sizing die for the .30 carbine. I highly recommend staying away from LEE's steel dies as they are easily scratched, and once scratched will ruin all of your brass. The RCBS carbide die still requires lube, but will last several lifetimes.

Also, unlike all of the other manufacturers out there, RCBS will give you new decapping rods, decapping pins, and all the other parts that go with your dies. If you are just thinking of getting into the hobby, buy RCBS, as the penalty of failure is waiting a week for replacement parts.

5. deadeye

The Lee dies are carbide only for the 30 carbine (not available in steel) and do not require the use of lube.

6. bmgm37

bmgm37 Coos Bay Active Member

You should always use lube with .30 carbine even with a carbide die. The reason is the .30 carbine is a tapered wall case, not straight like pistol and can easily become stuck in a die.....trust me, I know from experience! My dies are from Dillon Precision and they also say to make sure and use lube. When reloading .30 Carbine you must trim the case to length every time, this is very important as the .30 carbine headspaces of the mouth of the case.

7. deadeye

Well been loading for quite a while so I think I will keep on doing what has been working for me. Maybe the Dillon and RCBS arent as good as everyone thinks they are.

8. AMProducts

AMProducts Maple Valley, WA Jerk, Ammo Manufacturer Silver Supporter

Well, glad at least someone is having positive results from lee dies. That has not been my experience at all. However, I havn't tried their carbide .30 carbine dies, last time I bought them, they were only availible in steel. I don't know if the .30 carbine set includes their "unbreakable" decapper... but I've had issues with the decapping pin getting stuck in the flash hole of certain brands of cases. That is not a fun thing to un-jam.

9. Ding

Ding Lighter Side of Oz Active Member

lee dies suck,at least the decapper/design does.Collet type,break the pin gotta buy a new stem and no they ain't unbreakable.I modified the lee stem by putting threads on the stem and using a rcbs decap head and pin.Beats the heck out having to wait for a week to get a new one or buying a half dozen at 3 bucks plus 5.00 for shipping,you can send the broken one to them and they'll send ya a new one,a few days to get there a few to get back to ya.yeah ya better use at least a light lube on all the cases.The dies are OK but the design for decapping sucks.collet and stem plus tools to change it(lee) vs. threaded stem with cheap replaceable pin and no tools(RCBS).hmmm..
    your choice,I've been reloading since 66' with RCBS and never had any problems plus their product is lifetime guaranteed.break,bend,crack it or wear it out,gets ya a new one

10. deadeye

Never had an issue with any of their dies whether steel or carbide but most of mine are carbide. I have a set of 45lc that should be worn out by now but still do the job. I bought Lee for the initial cost but have been happy with them for 15yrs now.

11. Mark W.

Mark W. Silverton, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

As to the decapping pin breaking in Lee dies can't address that. I been reloading for 42 years and I have never used a Die to decap a case. I use a Lee punch and anvil from one of their Lee Loader sets. Since I deprime before I clean (only makes sense to me) the first step and the first sort take place while I sit and deprime the cases. I haven't broke a Lee punch like this in maybe 15 years. Sure it might take a while and might cramp up the hand holding the little punch. But it sure works nice to size your cases if your not depriming them at the same time.

I do lube all cases even the ones I have Carbide dies for. I have some machining and Custom Knifemaking experience I know everything goes dull everything wears. Just at different rates. A little lube, resize/bell the cases, and then into a super hot water wash with a grease cutting dish soap to remove all traces of lube. Then a couple hours sitting mouth up on a sheet of aluminum on top of the Pellet stove and they are ready for powder.

I have Lee Carbide 30M1 dies. Got them on sale from Midway. I'm quite happy with them.

12. Spitpatch

Spitpatch Forest Grove, Oregon Well-Known Member

Loading .30 carbine for 40 years. I'm with bmgm37 with the info that it is not a truly straight-walled case, and therefore should probably be lubed even with a carbide die. (My carbine dies are not carbide, therefore the caveat.) Also the strict caution that case length is very critical to good-performing handloads in this caliber. RCBS is the gold standard for reliability and customer support.