JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am wanting to purchase a M1 Carbine but don't know much about the different manufactures and see that pricing seems to be all over the place on them. Are there ones to avoid or one manufacture that is better than another? I certainly am not looking to purchase one to be a "collector" piece but to shoot and have fun with. I also understand, to a point, you get what you pay for and don't want to buy a pile of junk.

Thank you in advance for the help!

All the military ones had to be built to specifications and standards. The newer ones like universal used military parts until the parts ran out then they made their own. Early universal gun are fine as plinkers because they are cheap and run well. Later guns are subject to bad parts made with horrible quality control.

Buy a military gun and it holds its value.

I agree with JJ and that's nice of him, that's for sure.
Hey though, this morning I saw a modernish .30 carbine in our classifieds.. you might check that out.
Good luck!

Certaindeaf,

Thank you, I did see that which is a newer model and not a USGI rifle. That's one reason that sparked this thread was to see if they were all the same or not. But from the little info I have been able to find it seems the JJ is correct in trying to find a USGI one instead. Thanks for looking out and letting me know that it was in classifies though!

Anything left overseas is likely to be coming out of Southeast Asia. Much of what we have brought back from there has come back in less than desirable condition. Don't get me wrong, the guns belong to the US and the administration shouldn't have blocked their return, but the likely would have come with pitted receivers and sewer pipe barrels.

Finding a GI gun is a good start. James River Armory has started to produce some milled receiver reproductions that show promise. They are using GI parts until they run out and then switching to new production parts. This has been done in the past, but James River Armory has a decent reputation based on what guns and work they've put out in the past.

They aren't cheap, but if I couldn't find a good GI gun, that would be what I would probably get.

All i know about them is some are a little more desirable than others,depending on some little differences. Like most surplus guns.
So find a guy like JJ's buddy before you pay way too much for one.
We have one over here in a shop for $1400.I have never seen one for that much,usually around the $500 mark with some at 700. As i said I don't know the differences so I can't tell which is which.
But check them out and maybe PM JJ with questions (hope you don't mind me volunteering you,JJ) for his friend
Cool little gun though