JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello everyone, I was wondering if anyone knew what the current M1 Carbine prices were? I've been thinking about buying one for a while but it seems the prices fluctuate.

I saw one in a shop today (Inland mfg., not sure on the date, came with a bayo lug) for $800 and I was just curious if that was a good price?

Firearm prices can vary wildly from place to place.
With a firearm like a M1 Carbine...maybe even more so...
In general the price can be reflected in :
Condition...
Maker...
Markings..
Import marks or lack thereof...
Still in WWII configuration or re-worked at a armory...
Re-finished or sporterized...
What War movie is popular at the moment...

There is a M1 Carbine in the classifieds for $600 right now , to my eye the stock looks re-finished...but that could just be the lighting...

Where I live a decent shooter grade Carbine sells for around a $750 to $1000...I've seen 'em priced at more...but I'm saying what the sale price was , again where I live...
Andy

Hello everyone, I was wondering if anyone knew what the current M1 Carbine prices were? I've been thinking about buying one for a while but it seems the prices fluctuate.

I saw one in a shop today (Inland mfg., not sure on the date, came with a bayo lug) for $800 and I was just curious if that was a good price?
Assuming you mean a Mil Surplus? Then the price you saw is going to be about the ball park for one that has no collector value but is still safe to shoot. They are a LOT of fun but price is getting up there for these now days. There are some new ones made along the lines of the GI models but they run as much and are getting some very mixed reviews. Many seem to get one that does not work and that's lot of cash to spend on one that will not work.

M1.jpg
My 1942 Underwood/Inland M1 carbine Milsurp. I purchased this about 6 years ago for $1100. Came with dozen clips and 1000 rnds. It had been vacuumed sealed for years and has not been refinished. No import stamp and a nail driver.;)

Yes Mil surplus. And I have looked into the auto ordinance ones but like you said they have very mixed reviews. Not really worth the gamble in my opinion especially at the price.

I bought a new model Inland manufacturing in late 2015.
It's been flawless through about 500 rounds of Armscore 110 gr FMJ. I simply went into Kieth's and asked if they could get one. They opened the book and got online. Ten minutes, and $50.00 later, I had one coming. I think at that time it was just under a K.
I'd heard there was some issues early on with the Inland model that were addressed by the time I got mine. And issues with the Auto Ordinance models. Inland claims their parts, including stocks, are made to the same specs as the originals. I don't really think there's a gamble on the inland model these days. If there were issues you'd certainly read about it.

Handling one of these rifles really puts a smile on your face. And when you shoot it, turns to a wide grin. :D However, when fondling an original there's something that speaks to me. Regarding original milsurp .30 carbines, most of them will be arsenal reworked. Nothing wrong with that in my book, and I will have one eventually. Those rifles went through hell and high water, literally! An original will be going in the $2,000.00 +/- area.
If you get a chance, being from PDX, hit the Oregon Arms Collectors show at the ANG base on Cornfoot rd up near the airport. Gun Shows There's a gentleman there that really knows his stuff about the .30 carbine, and usually has one or two originals, and original mags for decent prices. There's usually another one or two guys that have arsenal reworked models on their tables too .

Good luck in your search.

And issues with the Auto Ordinance models.

The one we had was a complete dumpster-fire from stem to stern. Two trips back to the factory, replaced every major spring, tried over a dozen different magazines, swapped springs in some magazines with those from Wolf, and shot at least four different brands of ammo and the damn thing still couldn't cycle through a single magazine without multiple malfunctions. Dumped it and didn't look back.

I am tempted by the Inlands though. :)

The one we had was a complete dumpster-fire from stem to stern. Two trips back to the factory, replaced every major spring, tried over a dozen different magazines, swapped springs in some magazines with those from Wolf, and shot at least four different brands of ammo and the damn thing still couldn't cycle through a single magazine without multiple malfunctions. Dumped it and didn't look back.

I am tempted by the Inlands though. :)

At a glance I see new Auto Ords at $775.00. That might explain something.

Truth is I got my "Bug" for the .30 Carbine from the front page of the July 2015 Guns and Ammo. :rolleyes: I didn't know nuthin'! At the time. My research found the issues with the Inland, and that they had been resolved early on. The rest is history, as they say.

At a glance I see new Auto Ords at $775.00. That might explain something.

Truth is I got my "Bug" for the .30 Carbine from the front page of the July 2015 Guns and Ammo. :rolleyes: I didn't know nuthin'! At the time. My research found the issues with the Inland, and that they had been resolved early on. The rest is history, as they say.

Good to hear the Inland is a functional choice. Our AO was definitely garbage. Curiously, the Desert Eagle we have, which is owned by the same Kahr group, runs great. But, I digress.

I've had better luck with my AO M1. Bought it new on sale for something in the 600's.

It runs terribly on Tulammo, or at least it did when new. Haven't tried in a while and may get better results now that it's a bit more broken in. It's kind of unfortunate because that's the most affordable ammo, but not surprising; results are often mixed with steel-cased ammo and "Western" firearms.

With brass-cased ammo it actually runs pretty well. Can't say it NEVER jams, but probably better than 99%. For a historic-replica range toy, that's tolerable. If we're gonna be honest, original carbines weren't known for utter reliability either.

I've had better luck with my AO M1. Bought it new on sale for something in the 600's.

It runs terribly on Tulammo, or at least it did when new. Haven't tried in a while and may get better results now that it's a bit more broken in. It's kind of unfortunate because that's the most affordable ammo, but not surprising; results are often mixed with steel-cased ammo and "Western" firearms.

With brass-cased ammo it actually runs pretty well. Can't say it NEVER jams, but probably better than 99%. For a historic-replica range toy, that's tolerable. If we're gonna be honest, original carbines weren't known for utter reliability either.
These, the AO M1's do send out some that work. They of course would no longer make them if everything they sold was problems. The downside to them is so many get a problem, many seem to get a serious problem, and cost has gotten to where you can buy a Mil Surp for the same money. Its the risk vs cost, that make many leery of buying one. There are of course a lot of people who have one that works that are wondering what people are talking about who have problems.

I don't have much to add, other than that I'm glad I bought mine when they were more affordable. I found it at a garage sale when I was in high school, over 30 years ago, for $120.

I have no idea how many thousands of rounds I've fired through it over the years, nearly all reloads: FMJ, half jacket, cast. It's been extremely reliable, but the weak link in carbines is magazines. I've gotten rid of a couple bad magazines at one point or another, that caused problems.

M1 Carbine prices have increased much faster than M1 Garands. 25 years ago a good GI Carbine I purchased
for around $400. While M1 Rifles went for twice that. Today the Carbines are worth more than the Garands??
I wish I would have kept a dozen of them.
National Postal Meter
1575367096414.png

If the condition is there and the numbers are matching, $800 is a fair price. Of course I would expect minimal blemishes and a mirror like bore. Also, it would have to include a matching oiler, and less so a correct sling.

For a shooter, $600 seems a fairer price.
You'd at least want a Rockola for $800 in shooter grade, still with matching oiler!

The people on the CMP forums would have much more detailed information for you. You can also see prices on GB and the CMP marketplace. Right now my opinion is that an M1 carbine with no import mark, original stock and GI parts, and no bubba mods, is worth $800 for an Inland (GM) and more for the rarer makes. The market is very soft right now.

If the bore is good and parts matching, you're good. See if they'll throw in an original oiler and repro sling.
Of course you can find one with all that and more on GB if you're patient.
My pops picked up an inland parts matching, bayonet, oiler sling and two mags for about $800 last year. Either late war or korean retrofit.

Looks nice, WWII carbine. Take a look at the end of the barrel, on the side by the front sight. Look for the words "Blue Sky" stamped in the metal. A bunch of these were brought in from Korea back in the '80s.

Mine is a Blue Sky rifle, and has the same shade of reparkerizing. Collectors hate the Blue Sky guns so the value is less, but they can be just as good of shooters if they're in good shape. I've shot untold thousands of rounds through mine, and it's never bothered me in the slightest that it has that pesky little marking that drives the purists nuts. That's for a shooter though; I wouldn't pay collector price for one with an importer stamp on it.