JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So, one thing I've done in recent years is to keep some parts on hands for certain firearms. As an M1 Carbine is the latest acquisition, I'm giving this some thought. Before asking, however, here is a a very quick overview of how I prioritize/plan spare parts:

• If the arm is a fun gun or a hunting piece, I don't go gonzo with spare parts.
  • If a part breaks or is lost on any gun, I buy two. One to replace, the other to store.
  • If an arm is fed from a detachable magazine I buy a trainload of said. Having lived through AWB94 and considering the present muppets in state-level positions, I consider this prudent.
  • If the arm is a primary defensive piece or would be part of preparing for a major disaster, I take the attitude that any small parts that should be kept on hand is in place now. I consider the M1 Carbine in this category, hence the question.
So, beyond magazines, what small parts, springs, tools, consumables, etc., would you recommend I keep on hand for an M1 Carbine? Any that aren't worth the time, cost, or space?

Thanks!

I think a complete bolt, trigger group and piston with nut. should do it.
That would get you back in the fight the quickest.

Other than the operating slide. That's all the moving parts.
So maybe replace the Slide spring and it should be good for many years or several thousand rounds.

Now I have not bought parts in some time.
But I think a complete GI Inland bolt is $110-$130. A complete trigger group about the same.

You can buy and replace small parts that break like the extractor, later at your leisure.

I have never had small trigger parts break.
And as long as your piston nut is staked. You shouldn't loose it.
So I see the bolt as the most likely thing to break. [Specifically an extractor, ejector, or bolt lug.]

Now if you want to get really extreme. You could just keep a dozen rifles as spares. :s0108: