M1 Carbine back from Parkerizing

Reactions
I just got my Underwood back from Shuff's Parkerizing in Michigan and couldn't be happier. Turnaround time was only 8 calendar days door-to-door and only $125!!! Washington State to Michigan and back... Holy Cow!!

It began as an early matching Underwood that Bubba got ahold of in the 1940's or 50's. Whomever had polished the park off and attempted to blue it. After years of neglect (sitting in a garage) it was rusting up pretty good.

I bought for cheap to rescue it and cleaned it up as best as I could but it really needed to be refinished. After much consideration I opted to have it zinc parkerized.

Here's some before and after shots.

(notice the ears were ground off the front site)
View attachment 183419

View attachment 183420

Back from Shuffs

View attachment 183422

View attachment 183424

View attachment 183426

View attachment 183413

View attachment 183415

View attachment 183418

View attachment 183421

View attachment 183423

Reactions
Very nice restoration work. Nice to see one without the type 3 parts, and it's a round bolt to boot.

Work in progress, this one is not mine but what mine well look like when I get the last few bits.

pix237906272.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
CAL30M1
Reactions
Are you going to be using a genuine M1A1 stock or using a new production one?
I would love to have an original myself, someday. I have a reproduction but it's a display item since I had it signed by Veteran Don Malarkey of the Band of Brothers.

Very nice restoration work. Nice to see one without the type 3 parts, and it's a round bolt to boot.

Work in progress, this one is not mine but what mine well look like when I get the last few bits.

pix237906272.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions
My stock is an older repro. It has a serial number stamped, correct park and leather but brass rivets. I've read that the Italian Army had some of the made. I know the price on originals has gotten obscene. I played with carbines back in the 70's then got away from them. Recently got back and I'm shocked at today's prices. I remember buying a nice rifle for $80 or less.

UPCOMING EVENTS

Cerberus Training Group - Run the Gun Pistol
Cerberus Training Group
47 Cattle Dr, Goldendale, WA 98620, USA
Cerberus Training Group - Run the Gun Rifle
Cerberus Training Group
Cerberus Training Group - Skill Builder - Pistol/Rifle Combo
Cerberus Training Group
Albany Rifle & Pistol Club (ARPC) Gun Show
Linn County Expo Center
3700 Knox Butte Rd E, Albany, OR 97322, USA

LATEST RESOURCE REVIEWS

• J&B Firearm Sales
    5.00 star(s)
    Good local shop
    Picked up a rifle yesterday from J&B. This was the second or third gun purchase over the last few years from them. I always enjoy stopping by...
  • H&K Gun Shop
    5.00 star(s)
    The only place I have found 9mm in stock
    I’ll admit I didn’t even know this place existed, as I don’t tend to go into Forest Grove often. But it’s a giant (looks bigger from the...
  • Revelation Arms
    4.00 star(s)
    Depends who answers the phone
    I was given the number to Roger Loock by Beaver Creek Armory, as I needed parts I had ordered from MCarbo installed on a Kel-Tec Sub2000. On my...
  • Coastal Farm & Ranch - Cornelius
    3.00 star(s)
    Lesson learned
    I’ll take some responsibility here, as I took the employee at their word instead of doing a thorough inspection. Short story is that I asked for a...
  • MK Tactical
    5.00 star(s)
    Good guys!
    I stop in here every once in a while to see what Michael has in the clearance section, and to ask questions when I have a project in mind...
Top Bottom