JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Recently we pulled out of the old cabinet an M1 .30 carbine that is rumored my grandpa brought back after the war. It was always the story that he had used it and snuck it back home. I feel like it may be just as likely that he bought one on the way home because he wanted to have one. In any case in the last 60 or so years it probably has 100 rounds through it. Never really thought much of it, but recently and doing a little research it appears the Irwin-Pedersen .30 carbines were fairly rare. I found that there was a switchover to a new manufacturer, Saginaw, that used up old Irwin Pederson parts when they took over the contract. Not really ever going to sell it because of our family attachment to it, but kind of curious what people know about these and what it might be worth. Barrel inside appears to be clean and bright... decent shape on the outside. Some things about it:

Rear of Flip Sight: Stamped "IRWIN-PEDERSEN" Serial 180XXXX
Barrel: Hard to read but appears to be Buffalo Arms
Stock has Cannons Crossed stamped into it along with S'G' in a box

Other little markings and such I'll post later (don't have them with me) but what do people know about these? I don't think much has been done to it since he brought it home in the 40's except sit around.

I'd write in to American Rifleman Magazine with a photo or two and ask for their expertise and a rough valuation. They love this kind of question as there are lots of military buffs that follow the historical guns. You DO belong to the NRA don't you?..............................elsullo

Produced 3,542 M1 Carbines, none of which were accepted by the government. The Irwin-Pedersen contract was given to Saginaw Steering Gear, who moved into the Irwin-Pedersen facility in Grand Rapids and took possession of everything Irwin-Pedersen and their subcontractors had produced. See Saginaw Grand Rapids for further details.

Irwin-Pedersen receivers and parts are some of the most sought after by collectors due to their limited production. Dishonest individuals have been known to place IP markings on non IP parts. Any carbine made up of all IP parts was very likely reconstructed into that configuration.

Buffalo arms were a sub contractor and made barrels for a few of the prime manufacturers. What is the date on it?

So does it make it less valuable if the whole gun wasn't put together by Irwin Pedersen, but instead after the Saginaw Grand-Rapids takeover? Were the ones (~3,500) that were put together by I-P all I-P parts aside from the barrel, or would those too have had Saginaw parts (Saginaw in this case acting as a sub contractor). It would appear to me that while this has the I-P receiver and some other various I-P parts, but the final S'G' in the box on the stock (assuming nobody has done anything to it) that it was one of the ones Saginaw-Grand Rapids put together while using up the remainder of I-P parts. The main important part here being the receiver. I guess what I'm wondering is would there be any way to distinguish between an I-P made when it was just I-P (1 of ~3,500) or if it was one using the remainder of I-P parts (1 of ~30,000). And what kind of price difference would we be talking. Does anyone know what the exact serial number cut-over might have been.

Thanks for all your knowledge and help.

May 1942 Saginaw starts production, inherits Irwin-Pedersen contract & takes over IP facility at Grand Rapids

The Irwin Pedersen company had the distinction of being the manufacturer who produced the fewest M1 Carbines of any of the other producers, making these the most difficult to find. (as stated above)

M1 CARBINE SALES - Riverbank Armory

IRWIN PEDERSEN: M1 Carbine Irwin Pedersen non import-Mint original finish. This is a very nice IP carbine with NO dissapointments. Please view all pictures. The parts are IP receiver serial # 177XXXX, Underwood barrel 2-43 no type 3 band mark. Type 1A band with UP swivel. IPN coded front sight. B-IP flip sight with NO stake marks on receiver. IP recoil plate. Highwood IP stock with light cartoushe. PM-IP buttplate. IP Flat bolt marked IP on right lug, IP on firing pin & IP-W on extractor. Slide is type 3 IP with a type 1 stop. Trigger house is IP with IP hammer w/22coil spring, SW-IP sear, IP trigger, IP-W safety, IP-W mag catch. NON-IMPORT WE DO NOT TAKE CREDIT CARDS ON RIFLES. PLEASE SEND A CHECK OR MONEY ORDER WITH FFL OR C&R. THANK YOU
$6900.00