JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm looking for a good plinking rifle that is accurate, reliable, and cheap to shoot. I have spoken with a few friends in law enforcement, but nobody is overly familiar with it.
I need something with an adjustible stock, as I won't be the only person shooting it, both my parents would also be shooting it as well.

I have looked at the rifle at several different places, and spoken with the folks selling it, and all have come up with the same story - it's a popular rifle. I have been going to TCGC and shooting, watching to see if anyone shows up with one, and I've yet to see one on a range.

What is everyone's opinion on this rifle?

I spoke with a guy up at Memaloose one day who was shooting one. He said it was a pain in the xss. Always jamming. Said he wouldn't recommend it. I would look at the Umarex HK. A little more money though.

Drop me a PM next time you are headed out to TCGC. Maybe I can meet you and give you a test drive of my 15-22 MOE. I have been happy w/mine. It took a good 200 rounds to get it broken in, but my only real issues have been w/ crappy ammo lately. The CCI Blazers seem to work well, but I still have a couple of duds in every box (my 22 revolver will not even fire them). I have not done any rapid firing though (thanks to TCGC rules).

I purchased my M & P 15-22 about 10 months ago and I have shot alot of ammo through it and my two kids shoot it as well. I put a forward grip with bi-pod and cheep acog 6x32 scope and been having great fun with it. I will agree crappy ammo will have more mis fires. pull the charging handle and move on theres more fun to be had.

I'm looking for a good plinking rifle that is accurate, reliable, and cheap to shoot.

I need something with an adjustible stock, as I won't be the only person shooting it, both my parents would also be shooting it as well.
Ruger 10/22

Unless you have extraordinarily small parents, you should all be able to shoot this.

Have you thought about building a real AR lower, and get a .22 upper for it? That way when you decide you want a larger caliber, you're already ready to go. The cost difference isn't big in the long run (if M&P's go for 400 or so). I built mine new for $530 with a cmmg .22 upper, Surplus Ammo arms lower, tapco stock etc. I get a failure to eject every once in awhile, but with .22lr, that's no surprise. It's a ton of fun, and you can blow through 500 rounds and not hurt the bank.

To me,the AR 22's aren't equal to "cheap" shooting.There are way cheaper ways to shoot a 22. $500 will get you 2 10/22s.But I like cheap 22s.It makes the whole experience better.
My next one will be the 10/22,then a better barrel if necessary,then the internals.
$500,which is what the M&P22s are going for around here,will get you a very accurate 10/22,and every bit as much fun as an AR platform.

RE: 15-22 MOE - It is alot of money though. W/ a red dot and front magpul vertical grip (a great addition) I am approaching $550 into mine. That could get you a cool .22 revolver and a stock 10/22. Though I have to say I have been having a blast w/ mine. And I know a couple of guys that have more than that into their 10/22's. And I would guess that mine is worth more on the used market than theirs. All depends on what you want.

After enough of y'all buy the 22 uppers,then they will be as good on the used market as a built 10/22.Still only feeds a niche hot rod 22 buyer.
You get into the $4-500 range and most will ask why not a real caliber? Don't get me wrong,I love 22s,but I also know the retail* value can be terrible unless it's a collector or very high end.
JMO

*resale value

I like my Sig 522, I have only had 3 malfunctions in over 2,000 rounds but I blame the remington gold ammo. Great little rifle and accurate enough for me to bust up broken pigeons even more at 50yds w/ a red dot. Doesnt have many collapsible slots but it does fold! and it takes Black Dog mags.

Look for a rifle that takes the Black Dog mags. They are the only way to go. I have a Tacical Solutions upper on a Ar-15 lower. The 25 round Black Dog mags are about 10.00 each online and my 50 round drum was under 60.00. My buddy has the Sig 522 and it takes these mags and drum. His has the side folder and col stock. I like it, and it was way less money that mine. About half. But again, I can remove the TacSol and put on a cheap 556 upper be shooting in seconds. This makes my 22 cal a great trainer, while costing $15/500 rounds to shoot. If you think of it in this way, with the price of 556 ammo, the rifle will soon be free.

I bought a 15-22 not too long ago, I have probably fed it 500+ rounds with maybe 4 or 5 hiccups. But I tell myself that its the ammo not the rifle. So far I love it and so do the kids.

My favorite topic!

Who will be shooting it? Small framed people will enjoy and adj stock.
Are you going for accuracy mainly, or for plinking and fun?
Do you like the hunting rifle look, or more towards the tactical?

10/22 - Will shoot just about any ammo you can find, and very accurate. Lots of accessories available. I've owned mine for over twenty years and still enjoy shooting it. ( Lots and lots of rounds down range)
M&P 15-22 - Will shoot most HV ammo (after I watched the video on the S& W forum on how to fix the FTE problem). My kids favorite gun!!! ( Over 10,000 rounds down range) Will take most accessories that fit on an AR.
HK MP5 rimfire - Shot everything I've put thru it (Federal, CCI, Blazer, and Winchester. Haven't tried sub-sonic yet) Had to find (I ordered it at Davidson's and had it delivered locally). Shoot's 1-2" groups with open sites at 50'. Currently my favorite rifle (It's only a month old, so the newness factor hasn't worn off yet. We'll see)

Lots of great input up above. What it really comes down to is what are you looking for? For straight on accuracy, the 10/22 is hard to beat with all the upgrades you can make to it. For the tactical look, the M&P or HK fit the bill and are really fun. The way I look at it is are you more of a hunting rifle kind of person, or do you see yourself as more of a special operator type person. :s0114: Do you want to put a laser and red dot scope on the gun, or a bipod and adj scope?

I enjoy shoot both. My wife always gives me the "What!!!! Another Gun???" Which is promptly followed with "What!!! More Shoes???" I think I'm on the loosing end of that conversation!

If you'd like, pm me and we'll go to Johnson Creek Gun Club and you can try them out.
Trent

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads