JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So I had the chance to put 50 rounds of PMC 124gr and a clip of some 115gr Speer Gold-Dots. First off, all I can say is WOW! I instantly fell in love with this gun after the first clip. I was very accurate out of the box and the factory sights are fantastic. It does bark (audibly) a bit more than the G26 we had out today, but the gun is very tame and kick is minimal allowing to get back on target quickly. Not having too many years owning handguns under my belt, I was pleasantly surprised how accurate I was from the start.

So here we go, the gun is a dream to shoot. I'm planning on picking up some Talon tape grips as I have larger hands and the slimness of the gun leaves a little to be desired in comfort. Stock sights are great and I can't ask for much more. Never had a single problem loading, racking, ejecting rounds. It's very manageable to shoot with the flush-mount magazine using only a 2 finger grip. Many people complain that the Shield lacks the ambidextrous controls, but being right-handed it is not a problem. The manual safety is reachable on the first knuckle of my thumb without any issue. The trigger is very smooth and easy to feel it reset.

Here's a couple things that I've noticed that might need some attention. The slide is a little heavy to pull at times. The mags when fully loaded to capacity feel like they have a little resistance when being loaded into the gun. And last, I wish it came with a plastic carry case instead of a cardboard box. Not a huge deal since this is close to my favorite carry piece.

I'm excited to order a Remora No-Clip Holster and try out their design with the new Shield. I hope you guys (and gals) appreciate the input. I am by no means an expert, just an enthusiast who happened to come across a Shield at my LGS yesterday. Enjoy!

Just re-read revolverguys review and something made me stop in my tracks. "The carbon steel slide is finished with the S&W melonite 68HRc finish..." My thought - Did they switch to carbon steel? A quick check at the S&W website confirms it's stainless. Whew. I hate to be picky but it makes a difference to us pacific northwest guys. :cool:

Just re-read revolverguys review and something made me stop in my tracks. "The carbon steel slide is finished with the S&W melonite 68HRc finish..." My thought - Did they switch to carbon steel? A quick check at the S&W website confirms it's stainless. Whew. I hate to be picky but it makes a difference to us pacific northwest guys. :cool:

Stainless or carbon, if it's melonite finished it'll be fine, though the nitrocarburizing process can make stainless more prone to rusting than carbon....

Good to know the PPS gear will work.

I just bought a Remora 4A-ART-FRT for my Shield and it fits pretty damn well. I figured I would hop on the Remora train and give it a try. The holster is great and doesn't move at all, just have to work through the initial mental barrier of not having a clip on the waistline at all. Just waiting on the Talon rubber grips I ordered to show and the Shield be even better!

I handled a Shield 9 & 40 at L&L Guns in Battleground on Saturday and ended up buying a Beretta Nano from Wholesale Sports. It was smaller, had a Glock like trigger, felt like a better quality firearm and was cheaper. The slide and bbl engraving looked higher quality than the S&W which looked cast, and I like slick sides on a carry gun. That said, my Son-in-Law picked the Ruger LC9, the one I felt had the worst trigger pull. I picked up the tab on the little Ruger since it was his birthday presant. He really like the idea of having a big brother for his little Ruger LCP which he has been carring for over a year up in Edmonds/ North Seattle daily.

Anyway, L&L still has some Shield 40s in stock if anyone is locking for one.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top