JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
One of my complaints about M&P pistols are the magazines - expensive and somewhat hard to find. Looking for a 3rd party option has been tough, but I came across the Act-Mag brand and I'm really curious. Reviews I can find seem very positive. And you can't beat the price - $15-$20 for a brand new magazine. They look like really well built magazines - reviews I've read indicate they are similar in quality to Mec-Gar magazines, which would be a good thing.

Just wondering if anyone has actually used them? CDNN has them for $14.99 right now. I'm considering buying a few, but would like some feedback first, if there is any to be had.

PSIAMMP17PFB.jpg

<broken link removed>

Tagged for interest.

FYI - Seen the M&P mags in all the west side gun shops I've been in lately, plus Sportman's. Price was average though - $35 per mag on average.

The ACT mags would be a cool solution if they're reliable.

Given the horrible track record after-market pistol magazines have in general, I'm gonna need to see serious evidence of quality before I'd trust for carry use. Sometimes it's worth it to just bite the bullet (hah) and buy the real deal.

Given the horrible track record after-market pistol magazines have in general, I'm gonna need to see serious evidence of quality before I'd trust for carry use. Sometimes it's worth it to just bite the bullet (hah) and buy the real deal.

I pulled the trigger on a few of these today. Once I get them and get a chance to test them, I'll report back on this thread. I agree on carry, I don't know that I would trust them for carry until they've proven themselves first.

First update. Got the mags and they look good. Finish looks just like the OEM magazines and they seem built very well, the metal and overall weight feels like the OEM mags. Loaded one up, the spring is stiff, but not surprising for a new magazine. Loaded into the magwell just like the OEM mags - typical on my M&P, it takes a little bump to get it to lock in - which is what it takes with the OEM mags too.

Next step will be to take them to the range - maybe next week. I'll report back on functionality after I do that.

Okay, range report:

I ran 4 magazines through 2 different guns - an M&P 40 with a 9mm conversion barrel and an M&P 9c (obviously the mags stuck out below the grip a bit). I ran about 100 FMJ rounds through the 4 different magazines. There were no failures of any kind with any of the mags in either gun. I'm very pleased. Next test will be to try out some hollow points, though I don't expect that to be a problem. I'll continue to use these magazines and report back here if I experience any failures.

Initial results are very pleasing though, for a well built magazine at about half the price of a new OEM magazine. I am excited to see a good quality 3rd party alternative now.

IMG_5701a1.JPG

IMG_5703a1.JPG

I forgot to add one point to my review - this was my first time trying a conversion barrel in an M&P (I've done it with Glocks before) and that Storm Lake barrel did really well. You can see the grouping in the photo using the conversion barrel, ACT mags and cheap FMJ ammo. The gun ran really well, not a single hiccup. I don't know about the rest of you, but I love having some modularity to my guns. It's fun to run 2-3 calibers from a single gun.

="etrain16, post: 1346474, member: 31747"brave, rgot to add one point to my review - this was my first time trying a conversion barrel in an M&P (I've done it with Glocks before) and that Storm Lake barrel did really well. You can see the grouping in the photo using the conversion barrel, ACT mags and cheap FMJ ammo. The gun ran really well, not a single hiccup. I don't know about the rest of you, but I love having some modularity to my guns. It's fun to run 2-3 calibers from a single gun.

That's called "transcalibered" :D

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads