JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I mistakenly bought a M&P 40 Compact slide assy to run on my M&P 2.0 9mm full size frame. I let the seller keep the recoil spring because I thought my 9mm full size spring would work. Everything would have been fine except that my full size recoil spring assy is a little bit too long for the compact 40 slide. The 9mm recoil spring guide rod sticks out a bit but that shouldn't hamper function, should it?

This will only be used for a range toy and not carried so I am not too concerned about the recoil spring guide rod protruding a bit beyond the muzzle.

I thought I found a source for the right spring which is the orange colored spring for the M&P 2.0 4 inch Compact slide but it turns out that spring is hard to find. If anybody has a link to one please share it.

20220430_140231.jpg

If the spring compresses all the way, where all the coils are touching...meaning spring bind, things can break.

I've seen it many times on 1911s, where too long of spring is used.
That makes sense, any suggestions on how I could see if I am getting full compression of spring with the full size spring in the compact slide. The differences in length are very small 1/4 inch.

Edit: here is my plan to check for level of recoil spring compression. First with full size spring installed in compact slide and slide installed on frame I will rack the slide fully rearward and ask my wife to measure how much recoil spring guide rod is exposed in front of the slides muzzle end. Secondly, I will remove the slide from the frame, remove the barrel from the slide but leave the recoil sprig in the slide. Then I will put the rearward end of the recoil spring on a flat surface and pull down on slide to expose the same amount of recoil spring guide rod as when the slide is rack fully rearward, then record the level of spring compression (see photo below). If the recoil spring looks fully compressed, I will repeat the above steps with my full size slide and compare results.

I found some aftermarket recoil springs for the 4 inch slide but they run around $30 and that is more than I would like to spend for range toy use but I also don't want to break a spring. I could try calling S&W and see if they have any orange springs in stock and available to sell to consumers.

Last Edited:
I checked compression level with slide attached to frame and 1.843 inches of the guide rod was exposed. Full compression appears to happen at 2 inches so I will have a small amount of leeway.

I buy parts here:
This could be it:
If not, search the S&W parts number.
oops already posted...or not, different part number. :s0054:

If the long spring, you have coil binds before the slide travels rearward upon firing, the fired case will "probably stove pipe".
If the fired case does not stove pipe, it could follow the slide forward and be rechambered, and/or the slide will probably not push forward the next round in the mag out and into the chamber.
jmo,
Note: I suggest you NOT fire the gun with that short slide/long spring combination, as could do further damage to the gun.

Last Edited:
I buy parts here:
This could be it:
If not, search the S&W parts number.
oops already posted...or not, different part number. :s0054:

If the long spring, you have coil binds before the slide travels rearward upon firing, the fired case will "probably stove pipe".
If the fired case does not stove pipe, it could follow the slide forward and be rechambered, and/or the slide will probably not push forward the next round in the mag out and into the chamber.
jmo,
Note: I suggest you NOT fire the gun with that short slide/long spring combination, as could do further damage to the gun.
I decided to buy an aftermarket one from Galloway Precision with a 20lb spring. It was $27 shipped.

The world feels more balanced today. Shout out to Galloway Precision for quick shipping and quality looking product. The 20lb spring is about 3lbs heavier than the factory 9mm/40 spring and should help handle some spicier loads. I haven't tried it yet but if my gen 1 357 sig full size barrel fits in the 4inch compact slide I may run it in the 2.0 frame too.

Galloway spring on top.

20220504_211611.jpg

After buying the aftermarket spring I found a great deal ($280) on a complete like new M&P 2.0 4" compact in 9mm with 5 mags and various holsters. Now I can use the 40 compact mags that came with the 40 compact slide or use either compact slide on my M&P full size frame with full size mags.

The 9mm compact has a thumb safety which I am not fond of so I may look into deleting the safety?

After buying the aftermarket spring I found a great deal ($280) on a complete like new M&P 2.0 4" compact in 9mm with 5 mags and various holsters. Now I can use the 40 compact mags that came with the 40 compact slide or use either compact slide on my M&P full size frame with full size mags.

The 9mm compact has a thumb safety which I am not fond of so I may look into deleting the safety?
May want to contact S&W and ask about a safety delete kit. They provided me one for free.

Yep, all you need are the frame plugs to delete the safety.
I bought them here:
:D

Hit me up if you want to do the safety delete and want to offload safety parts. I recently added a manual safety and it has virtually no tension at all. A stiff breeze could disengage it.

I need to pull it out again and check out the spring. My initial thoughts upon install, was that the spring is/was to short. Thinking maybe I got the wrong spring shipped to me.

It's a low priority for me, but I see if I can tear into it this weekend for a detailed look/examination.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top