JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
It's a shield. The new grip texturing they did was a must. If you don't have calloused hands, you may want to pick up some shooting gloves.

The mags do take some breakin. There is a hole on the side of the mags that the follower catches on. They should smooth out after a few loading / shavings.

Not to state the obvious, but it's a lightweight / compact 45, not a 9mm or 40 s&w, so be prepared for the recoil and muzzle flip, etc.

I wish I would have tried one out first, as it was a bit of a shock when I first shot it. But at the sale price of $299.00 + $17 S&H - $75 rebate + $25 transfer + $10 background = $276.00 :eek:

So I paid about $100 less than my 9mm shield when they were unobtainium.

Here is a picture of some mags. The 6 & 7 round mags are both the SAME length. The only difference is in the end plate.

On the left are two 6 round mags with Pearce pinky extensions. On the right we have a stock 6 round, and a stock 7 round.

Note the notches on the right hand side of the mags. That is where the followers catch during loading.

IMG_0416.JPG

It's a shield. The new grip texturing they did was a must. If you don't have calloused hands, you may want to pick up some shooting gloves.

The mags do take some breakin. There is a hole on the side of the mags that the follower catches on. They should smooth out after a few loading / shavings.

Not to state the obvious, but it's a lightweight / compact 45, not a 9mm or 40 s&w, so be prepared for the recoil and muzzle flip, etc.

I wish I would have tried one out first, as it was a bit of a shock when I first shot it. But at the sale price of $299.00 + $17 S&H - $75 rebate + $25 transfer + $10 background = $276.00 :eek:

So I paid about $100 less than my 9mm shield when they were unobtainium.
That is almost 1/2 the cost at Cabelas today. This one had the tritium sights but still was at $569. Seem for $499 on line but I prefer brick and mortar stores for purchases.
I do expect the flip, I own a G29.

So, it's not my favorite gun right now, but it's plenty fun. I buy guns to increase my shooting knowledge / experience, and to shoot the hell out of them. I will get both out of this, and at a great price.

Update: that model is on sale at cabellas, but you must order it online to get the sale price. You can even pick it up at your favorite retail store. It's more than $100 less doing it this way. Same people, same store, you just don't need to pay retail / MSRP.

Last Edited:
Here is a picture of some mags. The 6 & 7 round mags are both the SAME length. The only difference is in the end plate.

On the left are two 6 round mags with Pearce pinky extensions. On the right we have a stock 6 round, and a stock 7 round.

Note the notches on the right hand side of the mags. That is where the followers catch during loading.

View attachment 377845
FYI - www.wethepeopleholsters.com

They have Kydex holsters for Shield 45 for net $24. The site says $34 but put in code LAUNCH10 and get $10 off. I called in they said it is on the deal.

I love mine, it kinda reminds me of my Kimber Compact Aluminum Stainless. Little narrower in the grip,and loaded it is just a tad lighter.
As for how it shoots, with a little work to the trigger i was hitting very close to what i do with my kimber, so at 15 yards i can keep one ragged hole from presentation. It really points well for me, my brother loves his as well but he is not getting the same shots i do.

Last Edited:
To answer the OP's original post, I've got in the neighborhood of 500 rounds through the Shield .45. As noted there's some muzzle flip, but I feel its noticeably less than with the XDs.

Of those 500 rounds, it's about a 75/25 split of my reloads v. Factory fresh, including Federal HST's. I've had zero issues with the functioning of the Shield.

I did a detail clean and lubrication before initiating my first range session. As of this date, it's not been detail cleaned again, just a bore snake through the barrel after each range session.

The Shield itself it pretty tight and smooth out of the box. Smith & Wesson has done a good job on these... I'd say my only painpoint has been the magazines, takes some time to get them broken in enough to make loading a bit more comfortable. If you disassemble for cleaning, beware the extended magazines are a bugger to get back together.

I have changed out the factory sights for Trijicons, makes a difference with my mature eyes. It's become my EDC this summer... Well pleased with it for 275.00 net...

Accuracy at self defense distances does indeed become a single ragged hole...

View attachment 377845
So they snag on the way up and cause a misfeed?

They snag only when I load them. I'm sure I could fix it, but as a rule, I don't go out of my way to modify ccw firearms. I expect them to just work. If it does not smooth out, I'll contact S&W.

And, no failures ever with either of my shields. They are well thought out and built. They both run like well oiled sewing machines.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top