JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Ill start by saying that S&W was very quick to get me squared away with a shipping label to get it back for repair.
Less than 100 rounds through the new 15-22 and had a bunch of FTEs and stovepipes along with ejections ranging between flopping out of the port to 6". Finally, the extractor relieved itself from duty without approval.
20190129_110712.jpg 20190129_110701.jpg

It is getting sent back tomorrow, along with the parts that are no longer in place.
Anyone upgrade/modify their extractor and/or ejector which has proven to be reliable?

Side note. Shooting steel at 200+ on the side of a hill with a 22 is more fun than getting it zeroed at 100 on paper.

You could save yourself the hassle and just buy an updated extractor.

Takes about 2-minutes to replace if you milk it.

Volquartsen Exact Edge Extractor for S&W M&P 15-22
I have looked at that. Along with the upgraded plunger and spring. Anyone done anything different that theyd recommend?
Either way, Im having them check it out before I modify.
Im thinking maybe a trigger upgrade and anti-walk (15-22 spec) pins eventually.

Last Edited:
Yes, I have an early version, and it was horribly frustrating with fte's and jams.
Finally replaced the extractor with the Volquartsen one, and it has been flawless since.

Sounds like I will have Volquartsen parts waiting for it when it gets back from S&W.
I remember hearing about issues with the early runs on these. Was hoping that Id get lucky buying a new one in 2018. Oh well.
More upgrades will cause more upgrades and eventually lead to a can.

I musta got lucky with mine...had it for years and never had issues with FTE or jams other than when I used certain crappy ammo.

It loves federal and CCI. runs it flawlessly and it has definitely had thousands of rounds though it.

I musta got lucky with mine...had it for years and never had issues with FTE or jams other than when I used certain crappy ammo.

It loves federal and CCI. runs it flawlessly and it has definitely had thousands of rounds though it.
I seem to be on the unlucky side. My Evo 3 S1 had a crack in the hammer that I found after the first range trip when I decided to polish the internals. CZ sent me a new one quickly.
I have no worries. Just going to let them check it out since it failed while firing. That way if there is ever an issue, I can have the record that it was sent in under warranty.

Extractor, plunger, and spring ordered.
Should be here next week. So, parts will be waiting when the rifle gets back. Holding off of trigger for now, need to get a water tank for my cargo trailer conversion.

Last Edited:
Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22 Accessories | TANDEMKROSS

Shop for Tactical Firearms Parts and Accessories - Tacticool22

No experience with the above extractors (I do have other parts from tandomkross). Both companies are very reputable should you decide to go with them vs Volquartsen.

I have Volquartsen extracters in both mine and my daughter's 15-22 as well as KNS pins and CMC 3.5lb flat faced triggers. They have been flawless....Hope you get it all sorted out.
+1 about Tandemkross quality. Have not used Tandemkross products on 15-22 but have on other guns.

For my 15-22 I'm planning on getting double tap brand binary trigger. Supposedly can be used on regular ARs as well. 1/2 the cost of franklin arms or fostech trigger but supposedly heavier trigger than those.

Decided to give Tacticool22 a shot. Being based out of Oregon, I ordered it Thursday afternoon and it was in the mailbox Saturday morning.
20190204_113035.jpg
Ive been thinking about getting Binary triggers (for AR and EVO), but I think I will enjoy cans more. So, that is what my gun budget is getting saved up for this year.

Finally got notice that S&W proccessed the rifle in yesterday. Now for the long wait. Anyone have insider info on how long they take?
Hopefully it will be back before I do the paperwork for a can.

I had the same problem with both of my 15-22's. I spent a little time on the S&W forum & the MP15-22 section. After reading that it was a common problem, I found that a small tweak to the extractor fixed the issue. I performed the tweak and neither firearm has experienced a FTE since.

Aftermarket extractor cured my 15-22 blues. Aside of that my 15-22's have been extremely reliable and a ton of fun to shoot! Can't really think of a .22 carbine/rifle that I injoy shooting more. Just too bad that S&W can't dial them in a little better.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top