JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
My Mother-in-law, who has always been uncomfortable around guns, has had her "come to Smith and Wesson" moment. A gang shooting several blocks from their house left one dead and the surviving gang members hid in neighboring yards, garages and some broke into houses trying to evade police.

Right now she is like a frightened squirrel, we want her to come over to our side but don't want to move to fast which might scare her off. I offered to take her to the sporting goods counter at BiMart so she could hold different pistols and shotguns to get a feel for what she likes and dislikes. I offered to buy her a safe while we were there. I also offered to pay for a CHL class so she can get a good overview of safety rules and firearm laws. She thought that she had to apply for permission first before buying a firearm.

I want her to get some familiarity with handling unloaded firearms before going out to the range. Then start her out with a 22 rifle and a Ruger Charger pistol.

Any suggestions?

I understand the 10-22 choice but I don't get the reasoning for a getting a Charger too (unless you've always wanted one for yourself). The charger is just a 10-22, cut down. Keep in mind that she's not a nine year old with a short attention spam and years and years to learn and "plink" her way through a progression of firearms, she needs something now.

If it was me, I'd start her on a Ruger SR22 pistol (or your preferred equivalent) right off the bat. A couple hours of slow and easy table lessons then a couple weeks of quality range time putting several hundred holes in a lot of paper. Keep the range under 12 yards so she doesn't get discouraged...she'll either be hooked and feeling more secure, or decide it's not for her.

To dramatically increase the chances for success;
Check for a local women's shooting league and see if you can get her first range time to "coincidentally" occur when a couple of women her age "just happen" to be practicing. She will be much more comfortable and learn far more quickly from them than from you.

Maybe save the rifle for when (if) she wants one. She might want to move up to center fire pistol rather than a rifle (unless she's one to take up hunting for Whistle Pigs and Squirrels)

Last Edited:
I don't have a Ruger SR22 pistol, but I do have a Ruger Charger with a red dot. All of our handguns are light carry pistols and revolvers, except the nightstand Beretta 9mm. I don't want to have any big booms or heavy recoil at first that might scare her off.

My Mother-in-law, who has always been uncomfortable around guns, has had her "come to Smith and Wesson" moment. A gang shooting several blocks from their house left one dead and the surviving gang members hid in neighboring yards, garages and some broke into houses trying to evade police.

Right now she is like a frightened squirrel, we want her to come over to our side but don't want to move to fast which might scare her off. I offered to take her to the sporting goods counter at BiMart so she could hold different pistols and shotguns to get a feel for what she likes and dislikes. I offered to buy her a safe while we were there. I also offered to pay for a CHL class so she can get a good overview of safety rules and firearm laws. She thought that she had to apply for permission first before buying a firearm.

I want her to get some familiarity with handling unloaded firearms before going out to the range. Then start her out with a 22 rifle and a Ruger Charger pistol.

Any suggestions?
A friend had someone pounding on their door at 3:00am after he left for work and his wife was left there, alone and unarmed as the guy kept beating on the door. They live in a rural area. Her only choice was to go hide in the closet and call hubby, who then called 911.

I spoke to them last weekend about getting some protection for just in case, but I could see fear in her eyes since hubby knows little of firearms, and she knows considerably less, soooo...

My method is always encouragement in this situation. I offered to take them both to my local private range, let them shoot the .22 handgun to become familiar without have to suffer recoil and excessive noise. I told her she would probably be amazed to realize how well she could shoot. All this and she started beaming with hope that she could actually do this!

I am not sure what is available in NE Oregon.
In Hillsboro, there is at least one Ladies Trainer (NRA certified) - she typically holds classes at Beavercreek Armory ( indoor range ). You might also call The Place to Shoot, while it has been years since I was in, they used to have some female friendly classes.

Many women prefer to have classes with other women due to poor experiences in traditional macho men settings - you can see U-Tuby is filled with give the girl the big gun and film - so you know it is common.

If you go shooting with her, take some larger, heavier pistols. A 3 pound gun has a lot less felt recoil than a sub 1lb pocket pistol. My experience is that women lean towards the smaller gun when they start - even though it is 'snappier' and harder to shoot well.

And, it sounds to me like you have started off with a great plan.

• A couple of points.

1. Start with the first few magazines seated, from a comfortable rest. Nothing breeds success like success. Hitting the bullseye is delightful to new shooters!
2. Call the big ranges. I belong to ARPC (admittedly a long way from Portland, where I live) but I'm sure that a number of other ranges have programs for women.
3. Give Monica Cowles a call. Professional training, for women! Perhaps you could arrange a class with her and have a weekend sight seeing trip too.

Good luck with your Mom! Few things burn me more than our elders living in fear!:mad:

Last Edited:
I started my wife with a CO2 semi-auto pistol in the garage. Then I took her to the local gun shop and let her pick out a 9mm she felt comfortable with. I purchased a .22 adapter for the 9mm and that is what she practices with. She says it's just like shooting the CO2 pistol. :p

After every shooting session I clean her pistol and restore it to a 9mm. If she ever has to use it for self defense, she'll never notice the difference.;)

If you can swing it, I'm a big proponent of first sessions with new (and worried) shooters taking place outdoors and not at an indoor range. An open shooting area that isn't crowded or out in the middle of nowhere is preferred. Worried people tend to spook easier when there is constant gunfire going off around them and they can't see where it's coming from due to the shooting bay walls.

The next step is to put on hearing protection, arm the shooter with a big bad 22 and wait for the inevitable question after the fist shot, "Did it go off?" I start with my 8-3.8" S&W K17 that's just about perfect for this process. It looks big and bad and is nearly silent when wearing hearing protection and has no felt recoil so the paranoia goes away very quickly.

Once that hurdle is cleared out comes the 6" S&W K19 loaded with 38's for a pretty tame step up in caliber (and hole size in the paper). Then onto anything else that tickles their fancy.

Of course, basic safety instruction comes first but I'm sure you already knew that. :)

Our outdoor range just finished with their Women On Target series and Ladies shoots this summer. Nothing new on the calendar. Of course, our outdoor pistol bays burnt down in august so there wasn't much that could take place.

Women's Programs at Douglas Ridge

Ladies Pistol Night
http://www.douglasridge.org/ladies_pistol.html
Wednesdays 6pm - 9pm (check club calendar)

Ladies NRA Basic Pistol Class
http://www.douglasridge.org/ladies_beg_pistol.html

The Well Armed Woman
https://twawshootingchapters.org/
Chapter meeting, practice

Douglas Ridge Rifle Club http://www.douglasridge.org/
27787 Hwy 224, Eagle Creek, OR 97022
Directions: http://www.douglasridge.org/directions.html
Club calendar: http://www.douglasridge.org/calendar.html

<broken link removed>

The one listed at the top is the basic class. When we are all done, she will feel more confident, comfortable, and wanting to get more training.

And I don't have a caliber restriction. She can use .22 for what we do.

I started my wife with a CO2 semi-auto pistol in the garage. Then I took her to the local gun shop and let her pick out a 9mm she felt comfortable with. I purchased a .22 adapter for the 9mm and that is what she practices with. She says it's just like shooting the CO2 pistol. :p

After every shooting session I clean her pistol and restore it to a 9mm. If she ever has to use it for self defense, she'll never notice the difference.;)

Thanks I might pick up a CO2 or airsoft pistol just to get her used to the feel and function of one.

"How strong is her grip?"
That is a very important factor in some cases, but not in ours.
Our "Personal Defense" pistols are "Striker Fired" and always have a round in the chamber.
"A firearm without a round in the chamber is nothing more than a pipe.";)

The most important piece of advice for introducing a first-time shooter: LOAD ONE ROUND ONLY.

There is no telling where that muzzle will be pointing after their very first shot.

Did this happen in Portland? Northeast?

Walla Walla, Washington. http://www.nbcrightnow.com/story/30...table-condition-after-shooting-in-walla-walla

How strong is her grip?

Good grip. She is 5' 10", weight undisclosed, 65 and still bakes her own bread, so strong hands from kneading dough. We are thinking a 20 gauge 18.5" shotgun loaded with #3 buckshot should do the trick. Just need a safe. I see BiMart has a 10 gun Stack On with dial combo lock for $219. Or a quick access device like a ShotLock

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top