JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Anyone know of a good M-1 Garand gunsmith in the Portland area? I'm having problems with my rear sight staying where I set it and the gun is also shooting very high. I'm tired of messing with it and need an experts help.
Thanks, Jim

I've had quite a few Garands, and M1As. I'm not sure a smith really needs to fix anything. Might just be a sighting in issue. You might go to the Portland gunshow this weekend, look for a collector who has a few Garands, and ask them for advice. Might get some free advice, before you pay a smith. Maybe...???

Most people think the post should bisect the target vertically. Not so with mine and a couple others I have shot. My NM Garand liked to have the bull sitting on top of the post when sighted correctly. I had an '03 that was that way too.
The target on the post (bullseye) should look like a golfball on a tee with the ball centered in the peep.

IF you haven't tried it this way, give it a go. That should bring the POI down where it should be.

Most people think the post should bisect the target vertically. Not so with mine and a couple others I have shot. My NM Garand liked to have the bull sitting on top of the post when sighted correctly. I had an '03 that was that way too.
The target on the post (bullseye) should look like a golfball on a tee with the ball centered in the peep.

IF you haven't tried it this way, give it a go. That should bring the POI down where it should be.

It's called a 6 o'clock hold, and that's the correct way to "Hold" when shooting an M1A or Garand.
If the rear sight won't hold "Tension", it's the "spring/cover" for the rear sight.
Easily changed out and cheap. It's a specific process to set the rear sight screws for windeage and elevation for the proper tension....
Search online for "M1 Garand rear sight disassembly"....Check the CMP website too.
usrifle

Thanks for the responses guys, here's where I'm at. I'm familiar with a 6 o'clock hold (called "pumpkin on a post" by an old veteran I know) and the problem is worse than that. The gun has a new barrel and a new stock, but the problem existed with the old barrel. The gun shoots 8" above point of aim at 100 yards with the sight bottomed out (excellent groupings though). I checked to see if the stock was pressing up on the barrel and did a little sanding where it was touching, I also ground a little material off the bottom of the rear sight ramp (good for a couple of more clicks down) and that helped a little but not enough. I checked the height of the front sight to make sure it hasn't been filed down and it's the proper height. I don't have another stock to try (wish I did). The only idea I have left is to increase the height of the front sight. Others with my problem have put a blob of J-B weld or solder on the front sight and filed to the desired height and shape. I thought that maybe a good gunsmith could could add to my front sight height in a higher quality way than I could do. As to the sight not staying set I figured out how to tighten it properly so all is good there.

I had a Garand from the CMP with the same problem. Bottomed out on the rear sight,
10"s high. I did a stock swap with a Boyd's stock and it helped a couple inches but still was 8"s high.
I ended up sending it back...Never did know why it was like that, they sent me another one.
usrifle

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top