Lyman Gen 6 Compact Touch-Screen Powder System

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by Fltche1, Jan 11, 2019 at 6:00 PM.

1. Fltche1

Fltche1
    Longview WA

So... I just got my brand new Lyman Gen6... I set it up and made sure the loading bench was level. I was pretty excited to throw some loads as I have used my father's chargemaster 1500 in the past and it definitely sped up the process. I am currently doing load development for 3 different rifles, so speeding up the process sounded good. I get to the last step of plugging in the power supply having followed the instructions and I am expecting the light to shine down from the heavens down on my little area of the reloading bench where my Lyman is. That is when the nasty looking rain clouds move in and take away the light and starts a torrential downpour on my parade. :( The Lyman just sits there and flashes the display accompanied by an intermittent beep. I thought maybe it was just a start up period or something so I let it and continued to suffer the loud and annoying beeping. It did not go away. :mad: I sent out an email to Lyman customer service to try and get some insight into the issue and I eagerly await their response. Does anybody else have experience with these scales and possibly some solutions? The scale is brand new. I hate to think I have a dead on arrival scale. I fully admit my humanity and I would prefer that it was user error instead as that is usually a quick fix but at this point I don't have high hopes. I verified that both the scale and the power supply say 9v. So they are matching in that regard at least, but beyond that I don't have any other ideas.

2. daved20319

daved20319
    Twisp, WA

Hate to be "that guy", but you did read the entire owners manual, didn't you? Also, the most frequent general fix for anything electronic seems to be power off briefly, then back on. Sorry, I don't have any specific help as I'm still using a manual powder measure and beam scale. One thing I do remember reading about digital scales in general, they need a fairly lengthy warm-up period to stabilize before use, like half an hour or so. Good luck!

Dave

Caveman Jim likes this.
  3. Mikej

Mikej
    Portland
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer 2017 Volunteer 2018 Volunteer

Did you get the scale up and running?

4. v0lcom13sn0w

v0lcom13sn0w
    Keizer
    This title is LCS CUSTOM! Gold Supporter

mine works great right out of the box. plug it in and press on and then it has a 3 min warm up timer.

try un plugging and plugging back in?

5. DizzyJ

DizzyJ
    Lost
    Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Following.

6. Fltche1

Fltche1
    Longview WA

I have tried plugging it in and unplugging it multiple times. I will leave it plugged in and let it beep away while I sleep and see if it will correct itself. This is why I keep my manual powder thrower despite the fact that I bought an electronic.

41mag likes this.
  7. v0lcom13sn0w

v0lcom13sn0w
    Keizer
    This title is LCS CUSTOM! Gold Supporter

yeah i have both a manual powder dispenser and this lyman. sorry its not workin out. was it bought locally? can you return it for a new one?

DizzyJ likes this.
  8. Caveman Jim

Caveman Jim
    Fish killer....
    Kokanee Slayer Silver Supporter 2016 Volunteer 2017 Volunteer

Not subscribed. No electronics in my reloading room, just me.... I'm a Caveman.

Certaindeaf likes this.
  9. DizzyJ

DizzyJ
    Lost

You need to come over to the dark side. :D

jordanka16 and Caveman Jim like this.
  10. Fltche1

Fltche1
    Longview WA

So I left it plugged in for about 6 hours and it was still beeping when I woke up. It isn't looking good... As bones would say.... He's dead Jim! Looks like I might be going through the return to manufacturer process.

Caveman Jim likes this.
  11. Caveman Jim

Caveman Jim
    Fish killer....
    Kokanee Slayer Silver Supporter 2016 Volunteer 2017 Volunteer

Have you ever seen that movie with Drew Barrymore and Adam Sandler, 50 first dates?
    Hi I'm Tom
    Hi I'm Tom
    Hi I'm Tom.....
    :p:p:p:p:eek:
    Sometimes I can't even remember what I had for breakfast.:eek::D

12. DizzyJ

DizzyJ
    Lost

I can't remember why I walked up to the top of the stairs!

Caveman Jim likes this.
  13. DizzyJ

DizzyJ
    Lost

That sucks.

14. Crohnos01

Crohnos01
    SW Washington
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter Silver Supporter

Depending on where you bought it, a lot of the on-line retailers will have a store warranty as well and you don't have to go back to the manufacturer. Might be a smidgen quicker.

15. Fltche1

Fltche1
    Longview WA

Lyman just got back to me. Underneath the QC passed sticker there is a plug. Under the plug there is a calibration screw. They had me back it off one full turn. No results unfortunately but apparently if you are having calibration issues out of the box this has been a known remedy.

DizzyJ likes this.
  16. Fltche1

Fltche1
    Longview WA

I made a little video of what it is doing so people can better understand the issue. That way this will be well documented and anybody who might run into this issue further down the road will have some rather specific answers and details.

17. Fltche1

Fltche1
    Longview WA

I will say this much for Lyman. Their customer service is quick. They are out on eastern standard time and I had response within an hour of their opening today. I put the ticket in via email Friday evening after they had closed. I am quite pleased to see that they stand behind their customers and their products.

DizzyJ likes this.
  18. Fltche1

Fltche1
    Longview WA

Got an email back. Customer service recommended returning it to the store or to them. It is worth mentioning that customer service had never seen this particular issue before.

19. Dyjital

Dyjital
    Albany, Ore
    Flavorite Member

They will take care of you. Glad it’s moving forward in the process.

Still wondering what the cause was besides some failure.

20. DizzyJ

DizzyJ
    Lost

Video no worky for me..