JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Also, take EXTREME care when removing the left-hand side grip-plate. It is fitted INTO the top part of the receiver with a tiny lip that engages it into a machined-out 'lip'.

Failure to SLIDE the grip out, by lifting it and pulling it away, will inevitably break off the top pointy corner of the grip-plate.

We call this the thousand-dollar chip, and yup, if your Luger is all-matching, you can instantly kiss bye-bye to 25% of its value to a collector.

I kid you not.

This is my all-matching byf 42 -

upload_2016-8-26_17-3-28.png
upload_2016-8-26_17-6-20.png

And this is my all-matching DWM 1918 -

upload_2016-8-26_17-5-7.png
upload_2016-8-26_17-5-41.png

tac

1. Having first ensured that the pistol is unloaded -

2. Cock the pistol - the toggles SHOULD stay back fully, locked in place.

3. Holding the pistol firmly in the shooting hand, pointing downwards, grasp the toggles, and pull them back a tad, at the same time squeezing the trigger.

4. With your finger still keeping up pressure on the trigger, allow the toggles to go fully forward, closing the action.

5. Take your finger off the trigger.

You are done and the pistol is uncocked.

Doing it your way - cracking the action - needs only the same thing doing, providing that you have taken up the tension off the mainspring, it's just that the method I noted was taught me by my Uncle Micky, who had been a Warrant Officer in the Wehrmacht, serving with distinction throughout 99% of WW2.

Either method works.

tac

I'll bet Uncle Mickey had some stories,....did he write a book?

Brutus Out

I'll bet Uncle Mickey had some stories,....did he write a book?

Brutus Out

Sadly he didn't. He died way too early back in 1968, but he was a very fine gentleman indeed and I loved him dearly. He worshipped his wife, my Aunt Ruby, who had been his physiotherapist in the British Military Hospital where he was recuperating from a bunch of dreadful wounds caught in March 1945.

When we lived in Rheindahlen, I used to drive to work along highway 57, where it had all gone badly wrong for him at the hands of a P47 one cold afternoon.

Considering his MOS as a radio op - a job that took him from private soldier to warrant officer, and from Poland, Crete, Greece, the Balkans, Normandy, the Netherlands and back into Germany, he had had a VERY busy war. He ended up with a second and first class EK, four wound badges and three close-quarter awards. Not too shabby for a sparky, eh?

I would liked to have written his story for him but he had been an orphan in Dresden - literally left on the doorstep of a police station when only a couple of weeks old. Born in sometime in 1920, he knew nothing of any family he might have had, but took the names of the two police officers who found him.

WE were his family, and I was glad of it, and proud of him and what he had made of his life.

tac

My Great Grandfather carried one through almost almost the entirety of World War One starting in 1915 while serving in the British Army. He took it off a dead Brit who took it off a dead Brit who I assume got it from a German somewhere along the way. After they got out of the trenches he threw it on a pile and then went off to put down the Irish insurrection as a black and tan before coming to the US to live out his life as LA county sheriff depute. He lived until 1997.

My "new" 40/42.
1mewh9.jpg

Last Edited:
It's your gun. You should do with it what you like.

But let me explain my side. A side many are on.

Now I can enjoy an all matching Luger. Without blasting away with it.
The same way I can enjoy hunting without shooting an animal.
And Fishing without catching a fish. ;)

Some people are astronauts. And some astronomers.
Some people need to go and do. While others are content watching and pouring over the data.
It's just the way we are. And neither side can fully understand the other?
And there are benefits in both camps. ;)

Ask yourself. Can owning and enjoying a certain gun have nothing to do with shooting it?
For some like me yes. For others absolutely not!

I can respect that.

Last Edited:
This is how I see things. If you had a baseball signed by the 27 Yankees would you go and play catch with it ?
Keep your Luger as it is. show it to your kids/grandkids and tell them about their great/great great grandfather.

If your life is about money don't shoot it.
I know some who will chew you out if you break it by shooting it, then go buy a $55,000 car knowing it will depreciate to 45 as soon as it is driven off the lot, and cant see the irony of that?
Life is too short not to enjoy it, plus your father will live in effigy when you fondle and use it, especially sharing it with relatives and friends who know him, priceless.
Without your family's history connected to it, it is just another old gun who's value is just an object that is market, and sometimes greed, driven.
Fiducial practice will produce nice heirlooms but I believe this falls under "family traditions " category.

Thats how they were meant to be treated not couped up in some old guys garage.
I disagree, and so would Z.A. Duntov.
Not that I wouldn't drive it, and drive the hell out of it every chance I got. And not that I wouldn't put a slightly updated 327 in it, just to increase the fun factor.
But I hacked up a couple of pretty nice cars along the way, and I wish I had them now in pre-hacked condition.
Just because.

If your life is about money don't shoot it.
I know some who will chew you out if you break it by shooting it, then go buy a $55,000 car knowing it will depreciate to 45 as soon as it is driven off the lot, and cant see the irony of that?
Life is too short not to enjoy it, plus your father will live in effigy when you fondle and use it, especially sharing it with relatives and friends who know him, priceless.
Without your family's history connected to it, it is just another old gun who's value is just an object that is market, and sometimes greed, driven.
Fiducial practice will produce nice heirlooms but I believe this falls under "family traditions " category.

When I bought my Corvette from the original owner it was eight years old with 11,000 miles on it. He special ordered it and paid about $45,000. [I have the original window sticker]
I paid $21,000. About what it's worth today. ;)

So I'm with you. Let some other guy loose money on his new toy!

As to guns?

If your life is about money. Your probably like 99% of the folks here on this site.

If your intent is to preserve a family air loom. Then do the best you can.
That may include shooting it? So be it. It's yours.

Just like the ones I choose not to shoot.
There mine. :D

Back in 1930, my dad bought this for rabbiting to supplement the pot. Seeing as how he'd had a massive beating from the Brits when he was arrested after blowing up a police station, he had a kind of fuzzy right eye, so he bought the matching scope, too.

upload_2016-8-27_10-24-45.png

It's Walther Model 2 sporter, the odd bolt-action/semi-auto .22 rifle. I learned to shoot with this over sixty years ago, and take it out at least once a month to shoot it again.

Back in the '80s I had a feeling that the recoil spring was on its last legs, so I got a spare from Numrich, fitted it and felt no difference. Turned out it was a poor batch of RAF-issue white box stuff, not the gun, so I took it out and stowed it away until it really was needed.

Nope, still not needed....

tac

I consider every dime that I spend on guns to be gone. Not in investing kind of guy. Same goes for cars I was considering buying a GT350 this year or maybe next but I know I would get it put a cage in it and a blower and I'm not sure that would be the best decision money-wise. I'd be better off picking up a base model and doing the same thing for half the cost..

I've followed this thread for over 6 months now! My opinion, not that anyone cares THAT much, is that I can see it both ways! Good thing I don't own that damned Luger!

I used to shoot my dear old pal Joe's Krieghoff Luger with Walmart's White Box ammunition.

Some would say that that is like driving to Walmart in a '29 Duesenberg roadster, but it was a privilege to do it.

I got a real kick out of shooting a Luger worth about the same as my daily drive. It was then, and still is, in perfect mechanical condition, and a real joy to hold and 'play with'.

G*d bless you Joe, greatly missed dear friend.

tac

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads