Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Luger p08 questions

Discussion in 'Handgun Discussion' started by Elidril, Sep 7, 2015.

1. Elidril

Elidril Portland Member

So a family member passed, and in passing left me a Luger pistol, and a holster. I don't think the holster was originally with the gun, I thing he acquired it after the fact. I know absolutely nothing about attempting to value the Luger. Is there anyone in the Portland area who'd be willing to take a look and talk to me about the pistol. It has one magazine.

Will post pics when I get a chance, but for now I have the Luger bug and in really curious about it.

Thanks in advance.

2. CapnMidnight

CapnMidnight Carson, WA. Member

Should have the year of manufacture on the top, behind the barrel. Luger used rust bluing until about 1942, those guns, if correct, should be un-blued, in the white, on the inside. The military issued Lugers came with 2 magazines and a holster, all serialized to the gun. Luger serial numbers go to 99,999, then start over. After 1942, Luger used the bath type of bluing we use today, these guns are blued inside and out, and have plastic grips. They are referred to as Black Widows, and do not value as high generally, as the earlier Lugers.
    WD

ogre and Sgt Nambu like this.
  3. Elidril

Elidril Portland Member

Behind the barrel it is stamped 1920

On the top it says Erfurt with a etching of a crown. It's got wooden grips that are very dark and dirty, with a few gouges in the wood. I have one mag, not sure if it's originally issued with the Luger. Also the holster I believe was acquired seperately from the gun. Still gotta put up some pics.

4. Martini_Up

Martini_Up NW USA Well-Known Member

This guy knows the Luger pistol:

The Sight Shop
    John G. Lawson
    1802 E. Columbia Ave, Tacoma WA.
    253-474-5465

See if he'll help you out or set you in the right direction

5. Elidril

Elidril Portland Member

Thanks for the tip. I'll get in touch with him. Anyone in the portland area???

6. CapnMidnight

CapnMidnight Carson, WA. Member

Don's Gun Shop in Hood River, he know quite a bit about Lugers.

7. Elidril

Elidril Portland Member

Awesome. Getting closer each post ;)!! Thanks for all the tips. Keep 'em coming

8. Certaindeaf

Certaindeaf SE Portland Well-Known Member

Yea, a picture would be good. They generally show.. stuff.
    If you ever actually bring it to an actual appraiser, make sure to bring the actual gun and associated accoutrements. And if he offers you cash money for it for his "appraised" value, probably don't do that. anyway good luck

9. Velzey

Velzey Estacada, Oregon Gunsmith Gunsmith Bronze Vendor Bronze Supporter

Please post some detailed photos.

I know Luger's...

10. Elidril

Elidril Portland Member

Thanks for the tip. I certainly wouldn't take it to an appraiser and trust his price for the initial sale. I'd make sure to pay an appraisal fee and keep it unbiased. Pictures to come tonight. Thanks everyone

Certaindeaf likes this.