JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I came running in from the garage this afternoon and proclaimed to my wife, "well honey, I am going to get cancer." Somewhat shocked she asked what I've been talking about! :s0112:

It all started last Saturday, I was lucky enough to win an AR-15 at my gun club's annual meeting. I've been a member for 7 years and it's the first meeting I've been able to attend, yeah I know way to make friends. Well, I had kicked around the idea of getting an AR platform rifle for a few years, but it's never been high on my list. I've got a .22-250 and like that caliber much more then the .223, so I didn't see the need as it wasn't filling a "hole." Regardless the Great Panic of December 2012 hit and I found myself AR-15'less and while I did feel a bit upset about it, I got over it. Now suddenly that's all changed. I am an AR-15 owner now and I've not prepared for it! Once I get home I madly dig through my range bag and find a single bulk box of 40 .223 Remington I had bought to shoot a friends rifle. "Well, it's 40, at least I can go out and make sure it works," I think to myself. Next I check my drawer with all my cleaned brass and find a plastic container with 25, .223 cases in it. I check my primers and for some lucky reason I accidentally bought 500 small rifle primers (I didn't need them up until this point). And of course, since I've got a .22-250, I have the .224 bullets I need. I take a look at my powder to find H4895 and H414. Luckily from what I've read the H4895 will burn just fast enough to work in a short barrel AR, so I've got powder. Onto Dies, I don't have any and from what I can find neither does anyone else. I checked about every online source I could think of and they all showed weeks to months out on dies. THWARTED I screamed!! (okay not really, but I was disappointed). I was pulled today to Bi-Mart by some cosmic force. I hadn't planned to go, but had to drive right by after taking my dog to the vet. Traffic parted so I could make the left turn and although it was a cloudy day, I swear the light of heaven shown down upon all that is Bi-Mart. A quick jaunt back to the gun counter and what do I find? A box of RCBS full length .223 dies!! I could not believe my.....luck. Also on the shelf an assortment of .223 bullets, but alas no powder I guess cosmic fate can only deliver so much. I was, however stuck in a paradox. There was no employee at the gun counter. Do I risk going and tracking one down, only to have some other cosmically driven ill-prepared AR owner to snatch up what I believe to be the last .223 dies on the face of the planet at this moment? I almost panicked, but stopped took a few deep breaths and grabbed my cell phone. I quickly Googled the store's phone number and asked whomever answered if they could send someone back to the gun counter. No sooner then me clicking the off button, did I hear an angelic voice from above "Sporting goods, please report to your counter." A few second later a red vested angle showed up to hand me my much coveted dies!! As they entered my grasp I couldn't help myself but let a small quite "my precious" go under my breath. I think the crimson festooned employee heard me as she gave me a bit of a funny look. I decided to push my luck and ask if they had a #10 shell holder, which she did as well! So with dies in hand I asked for a 250 bullet bulk pack of Nosler's and went on my way. I get home and begin to secure my new bounty with the rest of my reloading supplies. As I am organizing things in my drawers, I notice a plastic grocery bag, dirty and tucked up under a shelf. The bag bears a resemblance to one I'd use to pick up brass. Carefully and cautiously I grab it. I look inside to find another 20 pieces of .223 brass nestled among a mass of 9mm! Oh the JOY!! While it may not be an arsenal's worth of munitions, I feel a bit more prepared for being surprised by my new rifle.

So, with all the luck I've had in less then a week, I guess I am about due for some cancer!! Thanks for reading!

Nice story! sounds like you had more luck than most... maybe I will hit the jackpot and either win the lotto or find a 50 barrel at a garage sale for $20 but I won't hold my breath as it seems you used up all the regional luck for the month.

That was a great write up.....I'm actually happy for you. Little jealous, but mostly happy.

We need to see a pic of your new toy or you made this whole story up.

Now, alas, all you need are magazines...

I did pick up a few of those today from a member who had them for sale. New Brownell GI magazines, at their current market value, so while not "lucky" I am happy to have them.

Here's the rifle.
upload_1000006AE260E0_2013.01.20%252C06%253A09%253A10%252C500_D4F620DA.jpg

Cancer? I wouldn't worry about it. More likely that your lucky day will end with a visit by the BATFE after the gun ban passes to confiscate your "assault weapon" and charge you with manufacturing explosives when they find your powder...Yes, Feinstein is worse than cancer

Congrats. That is awesome. Now all I need to do is join a gun club, go to a meeting and win a gun? Is that how it works? :confused:

I FINALLY got out and was able to shoot my new AR. I had a spare 3x10x44 Intensity Optics (are they even still a company??) scope kicking around as a take off from another rifle, so I tossed it onto the upper with some Warne rings. I really didn't know what to expect with the gun. It's heavier the other AR's I've handled, but not too cumbersome. With the brake on the barrel and the weight of the rifle, the AR's already light re-coil was even more manageable. I would honestly say it's very close to a 22, almost 0. We were shooting at a very close range, so even with the scope cranked down to 3, it was too much. I am hoping to get a 1.5-4 Leupold Mark AR to put on it to help deal with that issue and then go back out and try it again.

I have to honestly say, I wasn't a huge AR fan. I'd shot various version before, from a bone stock Bushmaster purchased right after the ban was lifted, to a DPMS and a couple of Colts. I was just never that impressed. This gun has changed this!! I LOVE shooting it, and really had to contain my enthusiasm yesterday reminding myself I didn't have much ammo, so I didn't want to go crazy.

The only problem that came up was with one of the mag I bought. I bough an AR-Stoner 10 round mag and I had trouble getting it to seat. So about the third go around, I slammed the mag would with some vigor and jammed it up into the upper, jamming the bolt. Since the mag was so short I couldn't get a purchase on it to pull it out. Finally my FIL and wife were able to to remove it, while I was digging in the back of my truck for my tool box. The gun function flawlessly and also much to my amazement plied the brass in nice little stack make it for easy pickup. I could almost put my hat in the snow and have all 10 rounds land in it. A stupid thing to be excited about, but when you're a brass whore like me, it's was the capper to a great day.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top