JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So recently I was in an auto parts store and on the counter were little needle tipped oil bottles of Lucas oil brand oil that was called "Extreme Duty Gun Oil". So I asked the parts counter guy about them and he said it was for air compressor tools......

Few days later I was in Safefire and they had the same stuff on the counter marketed as firearm oil. I like needle oiler tips on my gun oils. Brings me to my question, who's tried the Lucas Oil Gun oils? What did you think? Compare it to Remington Oil or Hoppes 9 Oil?

It's just another petroleum based oil - remember oil is oil, the differences are the formulation additives in how long it lasts to certain stress types (compression, sheer etc.) and things like thickness/propensity to sling etc.

If you're just after the needle oiler bottle, you can buy it empty from Amazon.

It's just another petroleum based oil - remember oil is oil, the differences are the formulation additives in how long it lasts to certain stress types (compression, sheer etc.) and things like thickness/propensity to sling etc.

If you're just after the needle oiler bottle, you can buy it empty from Amazon.
I ordered a six pack of the empty needle bottles off amazon a few months ago and have just been filling them with Rem Oil. My issue with Rem oil is that it seems to ware off fairly quickly. Hoppe's oil seems better but it does seem like the film wares off quickly.

A lot of guys use automatic transmission fluid (ATF) on their guns. I use it and some other stuff. A quart can be as little as $1.. what pray tell us what does that magic Lucas oil go for?

I ordered a six pack of the empty needle bottles off amazon a few months ago and have just been filling them with Rem Oil. My issue with Rem oil is that it seems to ware off fairly quickly. Hoppe's oil seems better but it does seem like the film wares off quickly.
Oh, yeah, Remoil doesn't belong anywhere near firearms, it's bubblegum. Well, it's alright for something that needs a very thin oi, or for a quick patch at the range.

All oils will do a job of an oil, even ATF, as horrible of an oil as it is, it's how well it does it's job and how suitable for the job at hand. ATF will work, but it stinks really bad and doesn't have any properties going for it, other than cheap.

ATF is covered at the bottom of this article, in the section "But what about?" I'd recommend reading the whole thing, but the last section is pertinent here.
Lubrication 101: Gun oil, snake oil, and how to tell the difference. - www.GrantCunningham.com

Mobil 1 full synthetic has been my lube of choice. It works at 500 deg down to well below zero. And there is enough left after changing the oil in the truck to oil "All" my guns for the year!

Mobil 1 full synthetic has been my lube of choice. It works at 500 deg down to well below zero. And there is enough left after changing the oil in the truck to oil "All" my guns for the year!
See my post above yours, engine oil is not good (generally speaking) article explains why.

I like Grant, But I don't see anything in that article that would keep me from using a full synthetic. [no added Benzine]. I'm mostly a revolver and rifle guy, and I have not had any problems with corrosion or freezing while out in the snow. I'll stick with what has worked for me! DR

If your routine isn't experiencing problems with it, go for it! No need to change if it's working for you.

His point (at the very least) is that it will not perform as well as a formulated gun oil, or rather, an oil that has the 3 properties in good balance, this is a relavtive term, and as i said, if you don't need that with your current routine, no problems.

Don't assume that's a true synthetic though, it's not, it's an American court case that allowed them to use the term full synth, you'll be paying a *lot* more for a real synthetic, see boutique oils.

I use FROG LUBE smells good and wife don't say a word when i clean my guns in the house thats right in the house it smells good bio degradable YOU COULD EAT IT AND WON'T WARM YOU

I've used a free small sample pack with enough satisfaction actually bought a container of Lucas. It has good 'not flung off while just putting it in the case' qualities.

Later discovered accident on cleaning bench where bottle had fallen upside down & much had leaked out. Now I know where that odd reddish stain came from.

I'm several containers of other magic lube away from having to replace any of them. I've developed appreciation for the synthetic tube stuff out of a small syringe for my slides. The newer stuff really does stick well.

I've found that all I need is........

Oil.......I use Wally World syn motor oil (though regular motor oil would be ok too, I'd guess).
Grease.......I use Wally World Multi-Duty Complex Grease (aka: axle grease). Super Lube syn grease is also GTG.

Hoppes #9 is my go to, for cleaning and copper fouling duty.

When shooting corrosive ammo.........hot soapy water is cheap and easily available most everywhere.

Aloha, Mark

I've used a variety of products & home brew over the decades with moderately adequate results.

I watched/read a couple years ago a then recent promo/study comparing a bunch of the usual suspects, listed engineering results in a number of related categories, from 'cleaning' to 'lubing' to 'anti-corrosion' along with such as 'viscosity/runniness/does it stick to the GUN' etc.

My old reliable Ballistol remains champion, but for a more restricted set of expectations.

Revolvers don't have some of the same lube performance issues as the bottom feeders.

Sorry can't give a link right now. It was impressive enough to changed my mind on a lot of factors.

Everybody will try to upsell you.
Just start a thread wondering if a .44 magnum carbine is ok to use on deer out to fifty yards and 80% of the people will tell you you need a .338 in case you run across a grizzly bear or an elk at 800yds.

So recently I was in an auto parts store and on the counter were little needle tipped oil bottles of Lucas oil brand oil that was called "Extreme Duty Gun Oil". So I asked the parts counter guy about them and he said it was for air compressor tools......

Few days later I was in Safefire and they had the same stuff on the counter marketed as firearm oil. I like needle oiler tips on my gun oils. Brings me to my question, who's tried the Lucas Oil Gun oils? What did you think? Compare it to Remington Oil or Hoppes 9 Oil?
I have it. I use it. Have no issues with it. Sig Sauer sends their firearms with it. Does it mean that it's better because they send it out with the firearms? No idea but I know that if they trust it then I can try it. I bought a 6 bottle package from amazon for $24.99

I however use valvoline full synthetic grease on all my rifles. Just lightly put on and not think about it again. I clean and reapply every 3 months if I shoot a lot or once a year if it sits. ( which means I clean every 3 months, they never sit). ;):D

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top