JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Frog lube seems to be falling out of favor. Can't speak for it myself, but I've heard a few negative reviews and people switching to other things. Fireclean seems to be the big latest greatest Lube of God Himself right now... I've treated a couple guns with it (it does require "treatment," versus just applying as a lube), but try as I might to get back into shooting, I just can't seem to get to the range. So aside from "hmm, seems OK," I can't yet vouch for it.

Before that, I used Mobil 1 synthetic motor oil for all of my guns for about the last 15 years... including back when I shot a LOT. It works fine, and is extremely inexpensive relative to the cost-per-ounce of gun-specific lubes.

Whatever you use, make sure it's thin enough to cut, thick enough to not burn off, use plenty of it and apply often. These guns aren't picky about what you use, so long as you use enough of it.

Good pics of lube points.
AR15 LUBE POINTS -
Back in the Day Semper Fi n eagle.jpeg used Lubricant, Semi-Fluid Small Arms (LSA) Lubricant
LSA Lubricant
A great article about AR Lubrication fluids
LSA: Still a Great Gun Oil | Surplus Today
Lots of folks using Break Free CLP
BREAK-FREE CLP | Brownells

Semper Fi n eagle.jpeg

I used Frog Lube on my new parts built A/R with a mil spec FA BCA. Did not work for me. FTF and general hang ups. I cleaned the bolt completely with brake cleaner then used Breakfree CLP liberally. It ran with no flaws. I add a bit of lube at the standard points every few hundred rounds and it continues to run smooth.
I built a second AR in 300 BLK and used CLP from the start. Also runs smooth. I'm a CLP guy until something changes my mind..

I use "Slip stream" grease and lube. It may be a gimmick product (honestly don't know) but, I fell for the sales pitch once, bought it and continue to use it. So far I can't find anything negative to say about it. I've never had an issue with any of my firearms running (AR/30-30/M&P 15 .22/ M&P VTAC 9mm/Rem 870,etc) the way that I use them; while using Slip stream products. At the same time; I've never had an issue in the past using CLP. Hell I've used Havoline motor oil without issue. Lubricate and clean as described/scheduled in your manual you should be fine. (I know that my sentence structure is a mess but, this isn't that forum)

If the rifle is sitting around for any time period, any gun grease will do. As it won't run and leave the bolt dry.

If I'm going to shoot, I'll throw on some LaRue machine gunner lube.

If I'm at a class with a high round count...most any type of motor oil. I always have a small bottle with a needle nose type dispenser to make sure the lube gets into the vent holes in the carrier, so it gets to the bolt.

I use CLP and I use Militech, the Militech does stay place out in the rain and after serveral 1000 rounds. Still slick after you wipe it off.

A few drops on the bolt head (locking lugs), and the wear areas is all you need.

I've made the switch from Breakfree CLP to Fireclean.
I use Fireclean on my Knights Armament SR15 MOD1, and a Daniel Defense M4V3 as well as a Glock 19. I lube everything in the AR's until it appears to be wet, (BCG, Charging handle and a drop or two on the FCG as well as the buffer.)
With that said, since making the switch to Fireclean I have not been able to put any substantial amount of rounds through any of the previous guns listed.
A few things I noticed with Fireclean versus CLP was that, it seems to not run/flow nearly as bad (sitting upright in gun safe) and that it does keep dissolving carbon.

I'm curious as to what our warriors used in the sandy/dusty conditions?
Regular oil or grease would be problematic in those conditions.

Negative... those in the know have maintained for years that wet and sandy is far better than dry and sandy, and it's finally being confirmed via mil testing in the last few years.

The same rule applies, but even more so - use whatever you want, just make sure you use it often and a lot.

No personal experience, but have heard Froglube does not play nice with Melonite treated surfaces (barrels, BCG are common parts treated). Does something to the treatment....
Like I said tho-only have read this on the big AR forums. Thats I'll I needed to not experiment, since I have some Melonited BCG & barrels...

Been using Slip 2000. I have lots of love for any syn motor oil as well. I like my guns well oiled. Well oiled as oil keeps the parts separated [that is what oil does] as well as the dirt and carbon soft so it can be pushed away form the operating areas with use.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top