JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
An update to the Vietnam LRRP rations are available from "Freeze Dried Guy" 20 per case, approx 1500 calories each. Google them before flaming me about being inaccurate, etc... 35% protein, 36% fat, 40% carb, issued one per day depending on operational tempo. Get em while they last. I still have one from the 70,'s they are quite different looking but mostly the same

Seem pretty expensive for what you get. Adding about 20oz of water, makes this about equivalent to a mountain house meal (which are about $5 vs 7.50). Not sure the economics stack up on this one. Thing I like about MRE's is you open the package and stuff contents in mouth, no waiting, no water.

Went hiking for three days in the Mt Adams area, the Beef & Chili Mac LRP ration was tasty and filling. Not the Vietnam era rations I was used to, but actually better. Ended up adding some mashed potato flakes to absorb the excess water which just made them better. Yes, Mountain House and Backpackers pantry (to name a few) can be cheaper. I am strictly looking at calories/dollar, regardless of taste, packaging, etc....

Calories/dollar is a good way to pick your survival foods... generally the top getters in terms of calories/dollar/weight are peanut butter, pepperoni/salami, trailmix, chocolate, in about that order..

The thing I don't like about some of these is where I'm from originally, water is perpetually in short supply (the desert southwest) so if you end up having to carry water to rehydrate your rations anyways, may as well cut out a step and just have ready to eat rations.

I do like freeze dried apples... I never rehydrate them and just eat them as-is, tasty tasty.

Quite right, lugging water around is no fun. MRE's even have a dehydration component being only partially hydrated. It's an imperfect world. Train like you fight. I loved Iraq, die or either drowning in a canal or thirst. Afghanistan, the mountain strolls will burn calories like you have NEVER seen.

One of my favorite hikes is mt san jacinto... "cactus to the clouds" along skyline trail... 10,000ft of elevation gain in 23 miles. Last few times I did it I took the tram up, hit the summit, and then went all the way back down skyline. Frankly, as a flatlander, going up to 8K I get pretty loopy for the first few hours.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top