1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!
  2. We're giving away over $850 in prizes this month -- enter now for your chance to win!
    Dismiss Notice

LR308 Build

Discussion in 'Rifle Discussion' started by SICARIO, Aug 24, 2010.

SICARIO Oregon City Active Member

Just finished up my 308 build/assembly....I'm in love:

More Pictures
  2. madcratebuilder

madcratebuilder Ardenwald, OR Well-Known Member

Nice rifle. My AR10 has made the M1A's very jealous.

4. haythrower

haythrower SW WA Member

So do tell....what are the components you chose for the build and why?

• Stock: Magpul CTR (I like the friction lock of the CTR, and it's relatively light weight, so I went with that)
    • Magpul ASAP Plate (for the MS2 Sling) (I like the ambidextrous feature of the sling and plate, not a fan of the rattling around if the slings not attached, but not generally an issue)
    • Grip: Magpul MIAD w/ Grip Wedge (Miad fits great in my hand, and with the grip wedge it fits the receiver nicely)
    • Charging Handle: BCM Gunfighter Mod 4 (I was torn between a gas buster and the gunfighter. Ultimately I went with the gunfighter because realistically, I won't have a suppressor anytime soon, and the gunfighter eliminates another weak point in the system, and I like that)
    • Trigger: Bill Springfield (Honestly, this is the trigger that came with it, it's actually a stock trigger bobbed and polished with JP springs. I had to swap out the hammer spring to a stock one to work reliably with surplus ammo)
    • Pins: KNS Anti walk/rotate pins (with lighter trigger springs, there's a tendency for the pins to walk, another thing I wanted to eliminate. I went with the original KNS Pins because they have more material on them and are less likely to fail)
    • Front Flip up sights: Troy, HK style (I like the troy sights, they are low profile and very sturdy. I like the HK front because the circle lines up nicely with my peep. I plan on switching out the front post for a tritium one)
    • Rear Flip up sight: Troy (Again, I like the robustness and low profile)
    • Scope: Burris XTR 1.5-6x40 (w/ Hunter Turrets) (There have been good reviews about the Burris XTR 1-4 scope for AR's, So I figured if this one is made for the 308, it should be good. I do wish it was a 1X instead of 1.5, but it seems that most scopes with 308 ballistic reticles start at 1.5 (ELCAN for example). I was happy with the robustness and clarity of the scope, but hated the tall target turrets that came with it. They looked funny, and were too tall for such a short scope, and posed a snagging potential. This is not a sniper gun, and realistically I'll sight it in at 100yrds and won't make adjustments in the field. I sent the scope back and had them install the hunter turrets, simple and non snagging. I'll need to put some miles on this scope to get a good review for it. I also have butler creek scope covers and a killflash on order from Midway for this)
    • Mount: Larue Tactical LT-104(super robust, but a little on the heavy side. But what can I say, it's a Larue, and I love the quick disconnect and return to zero capabilities of the mount. I would have never thought in my wildest dreams that I'd spend $200 on scope rings. My last scope I bought (also my first one), was a bushnell for my .22 ($30)and I believe the rings were $5-$10....crazy).
    • Magazine: PMAG 7.62 (It's a magpul and it's a PMAG. They're awesome. The only metal mag I have is a 5rd DPMS for hunting, everything else is PMAG. The same goes for my AR, and for my AK I run the Bulgarian Waffle mags)
    • Rail: Daniel Defense 7.62 12.0 (For light weight and robustness, you can't go wrong with Daniel defense. I think the SWS's are a little lighter/in, but they have removed a lot of material. I'll take a little more material for more strength. I think the only better rail out there is a Knights armament, but even that might be debatable)
    • Barrel: DPMS AP4 (reprofiled by ADCO for reduced weight) (When I saw how much material was on the barrel under the handguard, I thought re-profiling was a no-brainer. It ended up reducing the weight by 6-8oz, and for $60, that's some pretty expensive weight savings. If you had an 18-20" heavy barrel it would be a no-brainer)
    • Forward Grip: Magpul AFG (This grip is great if you like the way Magpul trains (they mention that themselves). I do, and I have the AFG on all of my rifles. It is definitely more ERGO than the grip itself)
    • Forward Sling Mount: Daniel Defense (I wanted a front sling connection for my MS2 sling, and Magpul hasn't come out with theirs yet. You can't go wrong with Daniel defense though. I like the large knob for removal by hand)
    • Flash Hider: DPMS Panther (soon to be Vortex) (besides going with a Can, you can't beat a vortex, which is what I'll be installing as soon as it arrives. I liked the idea of the PWS FSC30, acting like a flash hider and muzzle brake, and I did have it on my gun for a while. However, I didn't like the blast in my face, and the flash suppressor was marginal (at least I could see it in low light). I don't want a flash suppressor for night vision, I want it to eliminate displaying my location.)
    Future investments:

• Ambi-safety select (anyone have any recommendations?)
    • Larue/Harris bipod
    • Heavy tungsten buffer
    • Trijicon aperture and post for BUIS's
    I have weights for almost everything if there's an interest
  6. jdub75

jdub75 PNW Well-Known Member

Man thats a nice setup. So I've been wanting a 308ar, but am put off by the prices of the ones built up like I want (think POF, LWRC or LMT). Was this a cheaper way to go in the end?
    what kind of accuracy you getting?