JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
$2000 to $3000 isn't where I want to go
At present
Though my initial request for around $500 was a starting point not a locked in thing.
Seems like I should define more to :
Ffp
Moa
1-6 or higher
Visible reticle at 1 power
Good glass
I think Schmidt and Bender was more than night force Atacr series as I recall
I got my wife a Colt AR
Now she wants everything too😝
What was I thinking 🤣?
Uh oh! 🤣 back to the Meopta Optika 1-6, they make a version in FFP as well as SFP. The FFP version has exposed locking turrets, SFP turrets are capped. Best glass you're going to get around $500-600 (would be right at home in a $1000+ scope). Plus it's fairly light and only ten inches long. Once Meopta gains traction in the states their prices will certainly increase! They've been making military optics and providing products to other famous makers for nearly a century. I'm surprised I didn't notice them sooner.

$2000 to $3000 isn't where I want to go
At present
Though my initial request for around $500 was a starting point not a locked in thing.
Seems like I should define more to :
Ffp
Moa
1-6 or higher
Visible reticle at 1 power
Good glass
I think Schmidt and Bender was more than night force Atacr series as I recall
I got my wife a Colt AR
Now she wants everything too😝
What was I thinking 🤣?
Viper PST 2

I would suggest following AAoptics and waiting for a higher end refurbished optic to come up for sale. That way you Could stretch you 500 limit to get a 700-800 dollar optic.

US Optics is a good brand and this is FFP for $660-, but at that price i bet the illumination isn't great. :/

budget friendly LPVO's don't have bright enough reticles.

For me, an LPVO reticle must be at or near aimpoint/eotech bright for it to be worth it for me.

sub-500 LPVO won't be aimpoint bright, so i don't like them.

I've seen the lower end vortex turrets fail under hard use, but the razor HD are good to go.

I've done a LOT of research on this subject. From the hundreds of hours I've spent reading through various forums and from personal experience, the only LPVO worth your time for under $600 is the Burris RT6 (around $300, made in Phillippines and great glass). The Strike Eagle is overpriced with awful glass, horrible turrets, and many reported issues especially on .308 (I owned one... hot garbage, sorry). For around $600 the Vortex Viper PST 1-6 is great, I have one. However, sales on the Steiner P4Xi 1-4 often approach ~$650 making it a much better deal than the Vortex. It has Schott glass (think Kahles, Swarovski, etc) and is incredibly clear. For around $1000 you get into a very tricky spot... spend a few hundred more and you can get the awesome Vortex Razor 1-6 gen2. Spend just a bit more and you can have a Nightforce NX8 which is superb and FFP (but small eye box). However, at that price I'd just grab a new Elcan Specter. I'd say get the following, priced from lowest to most: RT6 > P4Xi > Razor 1-6 gen2 > Specter > Razor 1-10 gen3.

There are dozens of options at the >$600 price point. Many are so similar it doesn't matter what you choose. The Trijicon Credo is good but its reticle is dim. The Eotech Vudu is good but it also suffers from a very dim reticle. The Primary Arms scopes for under $400 are good but their build quality is so-so and the glass is quite distorted and the optic is heavy (I've owned two). If you have any questions feel free to contact me.
Agreed. I haven't seen a $600ish LPVO reticle that is legit bright yet... like for killing S#!! fast and on the move i want aimpoint bright. the razor hd is bright enough but those are twice the budget.

$900 msrp, on sale for $750-$800 on optics planet... not bad.
When these were $500 they were the best deal you could get for an LPVO. Now they're too expensive for what you get (great glass but limited magnification, mushy turrets, and less than stellar durability). For $200 more you can choose from many LPVOs with more magnification, equal or better glass, and better durability. Heck, gen1 Razors are sometimes available around $900.

$900 msrp, on sale for $750-$800 on optics planet... not bad.
During various holiday sales you can find these for around 600. On 4th of july this year, several retailers had them for under 600, like 565 or something. I plan to pick one up the next time they drop this low

When these were $500 they were the best deal you could get for an LPVO. Now they're too expensive for what you get (great glass but limited magnification, mushy turrets, and less than stellar durability). For $200 more you can choose from many LPVOs with more magnification, equal or better glass, and better durability. Heck, gen1 Razors are sometimes available around $900.
to be clear, I've never used one and was just replying to the recommendation.

But, your opinion aligns with my skepticism of budget LPVO's.

I ran an SWFA 1-4 with good glass and great turrets... BUUUUUUUT the illumination sucked.

SWFA 1-4 rocks for the money.... IF you don't care about daylight bright illumination.

Good glass, solid turrets, functional reticle:
Illumination shows on targets in shadows and in low light, but it's not red dot bright.

to be clear, I've never used one and was just replying to the recommendation.

But, your opinion aligns with my skepticism of budget LPVO's.

I ran an SWFA 1-4 with good glass and great turrets... BUUUUUUUT the illumination sucked.
Was it heavy? I can't remember if it was Primary Arms or SWFA that had a 1-4 that was a brick. I know PA has a Japanese glass line 1-6 that weighs about 30 ounces without a mount!

Was it heavy? I can't remember if it was Primary Arms or SWFA that had a 1-4 that was a brick. I know PA has a Japanese glass line 1-6 that weighs about 30 ounces without a mount!
website says 14oz.

it didn't seem heavy to me, but i never weighed it and some of my rifles have heavier profile barrels so maybe I'm not the best judge on weight comparisons.

website says 14oz.

it didn't seem heavy to me, but i never weighed it and some of my rifles have heavier profile barrels so maybe I'm not the best judge on weight comparisons.
Ah that's pretty svelte. I moved from my Burris rt6 (~17oz) to a Meopta Optika (~20oz) and the increase is noticeable. I've found that any LPVO over 20 ounces is just too bulky since I use a fairly heavy mount (ADM Recon QD 8.5 oz). Even the Elcan (~26 oz with mount) feels light after using LPVOs with hefty mounts!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top