JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I've had very good experiences with everything from Primary Arms. Their SLX 1-6 and 1-8 are supposed to be fantastic other than not having Aimpoint bright illumination. If you are trying to stay under $500, I'd say it's a toss up between Strike Eagle and PA. The benefit of Trijicon or nicer vortex is going to be not being Chicom made, clarity at longer distances, and brightness of illumination
So the best one would:
Be light in weight
Have good glass
Have a good reticle
That was vi in daylight
1-6 to 1-10 power
First Focal Plane

I can afford what I want
But might get my ear chewed off if I bought a Marsh or Razor for my $1000 riflešŸ˜
So going down to $1000 range is better than $2000 to $3000

ithe $500 price point I put out there
Is a talking point
The knowledge gained from all the response has been xlint
Pretty much convinced me to step up cost wise.

So the best one would:
Be light in weight
Have good glass
Have a good reticle
That was vi in daylight
1-6 to 1-10 power
First Focal Plane

I can afford what I want

If I had the funds that would be on the top of my list.
They have a 1-8 shorty too.

I had a PA 1-6 on my AR15 and wound up swapping a PA 1-8 on it.
I think they are a decent scope and I like the ACSS reticle.

Take a look at Blackhound on the lower end of the price scale. Here is a review of their 1x6 but they also have 1x4 and 1x8 LPVO's, $280 to $450 depending on model.

So the best one would:
<snip>
First Focal Plane
Not necessarily, it is more important to have a reticle that works well with the particular focal plane across the optic's variable magnification range. There are plenty of FFP scopes that suck because when the top power is used the reticle obscures the target. My Kahles K16i is a second focal plane scope, I have no complaints and do not believe I could have done better even with hindsight.

Since I was coming an Aimpoint background, my requirement was to have the most "red dot like" LPVO available. I put priority on a forgiving eye relief and eye box, daylight bright reticle, super clear glass with a wide field of vision and light weight. The Kahles K16i delivered everything I was after, it just didn't do it for 500 bucks.

As always, other's experience may be different... I suggest steering away from vortex as a brand unless you like being on the phone with CS. Yes, the warranty is good and they'll take care of you, however, I've seen a fairly high ratio of broken vortex products compared to most any other brand. At the range, at camp, you name it.

Swampfox has some good reviews from some in the 3 gun crowd. I haven't seen one in person yet, I'm still doing fine with my old 1-4x TAC 30s

Athlon Optics are sounding interesting also, with some stellar reviews by optics snobs.

Not necessarily, it is more important to have a reticle that works well with the particular focal plane across the optic's variable magnification range. There are plenty of FFP scopes that suck because when the top power is used the reticle obscures the target. My Kahles K16i is a second focal plane scope, I have no complaints and do not believe I could have done better even with hindsight.

Since I was coming an Aimpoint background, my requirement was to have the most "red dot like" LPVO available. I put priority on a forgiving eye relief and eye box, daylight bright reticle, super clear glass with a wide field of vision and light weight. The Kahles K16i delivered everything I was after, it just didn't do it for 500 bucks.
Thank you for taking the time to share your insights!

I just went through a process of selecting an LPVO. Looked through a lot of them before making my decision. I guess it depends on what features are important to you. For me it was eye box, eye relief, and 1x. I settled on the Vortex Razor. However, I have to say I was really impressed by the Vortex Strike eagle, especially as compared to more expensive scopes. The PST II was nice also

The Credo 1-6 and 1-8 were my runners up to first place
Did you get the Gen II or go all the way and get the 1-10x?

One of the most overlooked companies for LPVO is Trijicon.

What @Cerberus Group says on Trijicon. I have a dual illumination AccuPoint 1-4 and it is by far my favorite optic for this task (AR carbine work). It replaced a Nikon fixed 3x which I also really liked. The dual illumination gives you a nice, bright dot in the day (I prefer green) and it basically turns into a dot sight at night with the illuminated tritium center dot. The glass is superb.

I made my living for several years looking through (good) camera glass. Some companies hype their glass, sales folks buy into this, and they are truly garbage, or sub par to be kind. They do this with their warrantees as well. As one person from a quality optics company once told me...some companies pump up their "no questions asked" warrantees for one reason, you will need it.

When I was looking at LPVO two years ago a sales person was pushing the Strike Eagles saying how their glass was no distortion edge to edge, etc. etc. Sorry, but they were horrible compared to the Nikon (no longer made); and the reticle was doing all kinds of weird artifacting in the glass. I pointed this out to him, he shrugged and put it back in the case.

Good luck with your quest, you are receiving lot's of perspectives.

Hi all, I'm looking for a mid level Low Power Variable Optic. Been thinking $500 or under
1-6x24 or 1-8x24
Prefer light weight,
Good warranty,
thinking First focal plane
But those are usually a bit more spendy,
Visible reticle in sunlight,

I keep getting lost going down the rabbit holes looking at different makes and models.
Kind of drawn to vortex or primary arms but there are a whole lot of others out there, and I would appreciate your insite
thanks much my friends
Happy trails
Leupold Mark 6 1x6. FFP. Battle tested. Leupold stands behind the product. I have the MIL version and it tracks excellent. Get scope and mount in a package through Larue Tactical.

Meopta Optika beats the Vortex Viper 1-6 and is cheaper. For less than $500 I will always recommend the Burris RT6 over the Strike Eagle. The old Eagle is a compromise in nearly every way and really doesn't hold many candles compared to the quality of the ~$300 RT6.

Leupold Mark 6 1x6. FFP. Battle tested. Leupold stands behind the product. I have the MIL version and it tracks excellent. Get scope and mount in a package through Larue Tactical.
Thanks for sharing
I checked out Larue
They're pretty proud of their gear
At the $2000 to $3000 price point
I'm sure we'll worth it
As are many others in that price range
Decisions, decisionsā€¦
Happy Trails and thanks for the input

$2000 to $3000 isn't where I want to go
At present
Though my initial request for around $500 was a starting point not a locked in thing.
Seems like I should define more to :
Ffp
Moa
1-6 or higher
Visible reticle at 1 power
Good glass
I think Schmidt and Bender was more than night force Atacr series as I recall
I got my wife a Colt AR
Now she wants everything toošŸ˜
What was I thinking šŸ¤£?

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show