LPVO on a pistol build

Reactions
Thinking of going with a 1-4x Trijicon Accupoint for my 10.5" pistol which will eventually be run suppressed. I currently have an Eotech and it works great up close but I'd like something that can reach out to 300 yards and still be accurate. I've tried a magnifier with the Eotech and am just not intrigued. Has anyone tried this and been happy? How does it shoot at 1x? I'm leaning to the Accupoint for the reason of durability and to cut the need for battery replacement.

Reactions
I think it’s a great option even for a pistol build. A 1-4, 1-6, or even a 1-8. Like everything, you get what you pay for. Training with your optic and knowing your ballistics and holds etc will be key when shooting long distances with the short barrels.

These optics give a great option for reaching out to distance and/or some cqb distances.

Bottom line, train with it! :)

jordanka16

Reactions
I had a 1-4 on my 5.56 pistol but went back to a holo sight, a vortex uh1 in particular. For me it just didn't make sense, if I want more range I use my 16", with the actual stock and vertical grip it handles better. Part of it was not needing to deal with eye relief with a brace.

OP
Jcon268
Reactions
I had a 1-4 on my 5.56 pistol but went back to a holo sight, a vortex uh1 in particular. For me it just didn't make sense, if I want more range I use my 16", with the actual stock and vertical grip it handles better. Part of it was not needing to deal with eye relief with a brace.
I hear ya about going to a longer setup for hitting out to range. With that said I wouldn't expect to push past 200 yards with a 1-4x. I currently have an Eotech and while its reliable out to that distance, actually seeing what you're hitting is nice too. I'd like to use this as a HD rifle but still be able to stretch its legs more than 25 yds

Edit: more likely would use this within 200 yards only occasionally going out to 300

Last edited:

jordanka16

Reactions
I hear ya about going to a longer setup for hitting out to range. With that said I wouldn't expect to push past 200 yards with a 1-4x. I currently have an Eotech and while its reliable out to that distance, actually seeing what you're hitting is nice too. I'd like to use this as a HD rifle but still be able to stretch its legs more than 25 yds

Edit: more likely would use this within 200 yards only occasionally going out to 300
I say give it a try, nothing wrong with that at all, it just didn't work with my setup/needs. I can shoot out to 300 with a holosight, but having 4x makes it way, way easier to identify targets, imo that is the biggest advantage of a real scope over a red dot.

The acupoint is also a great way to test that out. It's closer to being a true red dot at 1x than a lot of others.

Make sure you choose a good bullet for 300 yards, out of a 10.5" barrel m193 and m855 just won't perform.

Reactions
There are a ton of choices in the AccuPoint's price range (about $750). Is the battery-free illumination an important feature for you?

For the same money, you can get 1-6X, 1-8X and even 1-10X. Personally, I want someone to buy the brand new US Optics TS-6X 1-6x24 FFP just so they can tell me all about it ($660).

If you google "illuminated variable 1x" you'll find a master list of ALL illuminated LPVOs sorted by street price.

Reactions
I have a 10.5 with a 1 - 6 primary arms variable on it.

There seems to be a lot more versatility with a LPVO, personally when I conducted a somewhat scientific test comparing red dot to 1 - 6 I found my time on target from buzzer to target about 15 feet away and a 3 inch required group was on average 1/10 of a second slower than the red dot after dozens of shots, switching back and forth with the same gun between both optics so familiarity didn’t favor one or another.

I figured based on my results, really what mattered most was effective training with the combination that would be used and doing so consistently enough to build the muscle memory. Now if you were only ever breaching rooms and clearing spaces within 30 feet, it would seem the red dot just makes sense, but for a more versatile set up that can accomplish the same thing with intentional training and also favor longer distances, it seems the LPVO is the way to go.

OP
Jcon268
Reactions
There are a ton of choices in the AccuPoint's price range (about $750). Is the battery-free illumination an important feature for you?

For the same money, you can get 1-6X, 1-8X and even 1-10X. Personally, I want someone to buy the brand new US Optics TS-6X 1-6x24 FFP just so they can tell me all about it ($660).

If you google "illuminated variable 1x" you'll find a master list of ALL illuminated LPVOs sorted by street price.
I already have a 14.5" barreled gun with the FFP 1-6x raptor. It was actually that scope that led me to realize that some LPVOs can be useful in close quarters at 1x.

The battery free is pretty big to me since it will be a home defense AR too. I want to have an already lit reticle when I grab it. Batteries would be fine if there was something that had near Aimpoint life.

Reactions
Batteries would be fine if there was something that had near Aimpoint life.
I'm not aware of any LPVOs that have multi-year battery life claims. The closest would be optics with motion-on+auto-off features that enable batteries to last a long time, yet are illuminated whenever you pick them up. If you search that list I mentioned for "motion", it'll tell you which LPVOs have the motion-on feature (various models by Leupold, SIG Sauer, Docter-Noblex, Leica, Swarovski, and Zeiss).

OP
Jcon268
Reactions
I'm not aware of any LPVOs that have multi-year battery life claims. The closest would be optics with motion-on+auto-off features that enable batteries to last a long time, yet are illuminated whenever you pick them up. If you search that list I mentioned for "motion", it'll tell you which LPVOs have the motion-on feature (various models by Leupold, SIG Sauer, Docter-Noblex, Leica, Swarovski, and Zeiss).
Thanks for the info. I guess my requirements are as follows:
- high quality/very durable
- very close to true 1x
- good eye relief/eye box - it's not a red dot but I'd like it to function as close to one as possible
- motion sensor illuminates reticle
Don't care if it goes 1-4x or 1-6x. I'd like to keep it on the lighter side if possible although weight isn't a deal breaker.

Reactions
I have a 1-4 Leupold and 1-6 Truglo. The 1-4 is better quality but I can see a heck of a lot more with the 1-6. I think with the options today 4x has passed it's sell by date. Either a true red dot or 6x or better. This may not apply to younger eyes.

OP
Jcon268
Reactions
That's because they don't exist yet, but unlike red dot sights most have an etched reticle so they continue to be useful even with dead batteries.
This is true. Again I'd like to have this on my home defense gun that I can grab if I hear a bump in the night and know that it's ready to go. For that reason I've considered an Aimpoint since I can just leave the dot on all of the time but....I'm a big fan of LPVOs and their versatility. I've been basically trying to build one AR that does everything well that I can shoot a lot and become very comfortable with. I currently have an Eotech which I really like but unfortunately their battery life leaves a lot to be desired.

UPCOMING EVENTS

Arms Collectors of SW Washington Gun Show
Battleground Community Center
912 E Main St, Battle Ground, WA 98604, USA
Rimfire Challenge Dec 12th @ DRRC
Douglas Ridge Rifle Club
27787 OR-224, Eagle Creek, OR 97022, USA
Albany Rifle & Pistol Club (ARPC) Gun Show
Linn County Expo Center
3700 Knox Butte Rd E, Albany, OR 97322, USA

LATEST RESOURCE REVIEWS

• Wildcat Mountain
    4.00 star(s)
    Wildcat Mountain Nov. 30
    Went there today, it was accessible but bad conditions which I kind of expected. Melting snow, mud, etc. No one there and I didn't see a lot of...
  • Gator's Custom Guns
    5.00 star(s)
    Best true Gun shop ive been in for some time
    Cool stuff in stock rather than the top 10 at corporate box stores They moved to a larger place I have to go back and spend more money. I like to...
  • Adaptive Firing Solutions
    5.00 star(s)
    Adaptive Firing Solutions. A+
    5 stars does not do Adaptive Firing Solutions justice. I have done business with him multiple times and wish I could give at least 12 stars...
  • Limitless America
    5.00 star(s)
    Awesome shop
    Love this shop. Purchased a few items from them. Always have a lot of parts in stock without much markup. Purchased two cans this summer from them...
  • Gator's Custom Guns
    5.00 star(s)
    Great, old school gun shop
    The store is a treasure trove I have found magazines for H&K, Ruger and M1A's and at great prices. The staff is knowledgeable and friendly and...
    • GWS
Top Bottom