Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Lowest price AR Upper & your experiance.

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by IronMonster, Oct 3, 2014.

1. IronMonster

IronMonster Washington Opinionated Member Diamond Supporter

I have bought some relatively expensive AR uppers. (I would think anything over a grand for an upper is expensive) Most of that money spent on a high end upper gets you hand selected high end parts and as big name logo. Chances are if your dumping a grand plus on a upper your going to get a good, reliable and accurate gun.

But what about the other extreme? I have never bought one of the "ultra cheap" uppers. I think the cheapest I have seen is $275 W/BCG. At that price I dont know what you get. Ive never owned or shot a ultra budget gun. I would think you could easily put together a AR for under $400 trying to keep the dollars small.

Id like to know your experiences. Who you bought parts from you liked, who sold you parts you dont like. Why dont you like them? How do they shoot?

I am going to put a rifle together for a friend and we are leaning towards dirt cheap. I have a $48 Anderson lower and take off generic furniture which means we will have around $85 in an assembled lower.

It seems like some of the assembled lowers are cheaper than you could buy the parts to assemble the same thing?

It seems risky to me to just search out the cheapest thing you can find. My experience has been that when you do what you usually get is the cheapest thing you can find... I also know there must be some compromise and some reasonably good low end parts.

2. KTM530XCW

KTM530XCW Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

I've used several Del-tons and am always happy with them for a cheap ar. Every few months they'll have complete uppers on sale for around $350

3. IronMonster

Sgt Nambu likes this.
  4. 2Wheels4Ever

2Wheels4Ever Portland Well-Known Member 2015 Volunteer

The cheap psa uppers work well. I have a lot of friends and family with them and I have not seen them malfunction once.

IronMonster likes this.
  5. misplacedtexan

misplacedtexan Beaverton, OR Active Member

Have a 400$ 10.5" upper with a 12 inch free float (gonna sit the suppressor in it) en route. That was 400$ shipped with a BCG. Gonna shoot the crap out of it over a week or so and see about it.

IronMonster likes this.
  6. clearconscience

clearconscience Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

I just bought a couple aero precision uppers and lowers on sale from brownells these are stripped, but $63 for the lowers and $65 for the uppers. Built a pistol off one set looks good fired good.
    Personally I really don't see any difference in uppers or lowers unless your talking about polymer.
    I think the only real thing that will make a difference is the internal components and ammo.
    I have a Delton I bought completed for $750 and have put a couple thousand rounds through with no issues.
    Of course if your looking for a tack driver or a specialized weapon your going to pay for it.
    GIs have been using a basic beat up AR since Vietnam and they work great

7. IronMonster

$63 for Aero's is a good deal. I bought a three pack for $209 including tax and fees and I thought that was a smokin deal.

8. clearconscience

clearconscience Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

I know, was kickin myself afterwords wished I would have bought a couple more