JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So hurry up and cut down that barrel then and be done with it :s0149:

It's not that lack of thinking has led to limited options, it's that the laws of physics exist and if you want to transport something that is about 18-24" in length just for the upper, you have to work with those limitations. The keltec sub2000 folds in half and becomes 16" to store, you just have to decide what is your primary goal, absolute reduction of being spotted/made or less than that, in order to carry something larger.
LOL.
The hole is the backpack. That the insert is perfectly sized to me for the 12" AR taken down indicates that there's something that can be done without feature creep, or going too far into "tacticool/obvious gunbag".

Making it look more like one of those week long hiking backpacks or simioar might be tge feasible compromise vs looking like a slightly larger Jansport schoolbag... althought it wont be THIS ridiculous
giant-jansport-backpack-0.jpg

I can appreciate you wanting to use that insert but that insert is just too wide for my tastes, and any bag you make for it is going to be wide and bulky too. I'm also not a fan of carrying a rifle in a broken down configuration unless the bag is just strictly going to be for transport to the range and back. But if the purpose of the bag is to be able to have a rifle with me incase crap hits the fan, then I want that rifle to be as close to being ready, as possible.

I'm much more a fan of the covert style rifle bags that look like they could be a tennis racket case. Here's a Sneaky bag as an example...

View attachment 1036153

And here is an actual tennis racket case which I think could also be used to house a rifle or two. These cases can be had for relatively cheap, especially in a second hand sports store.

View attachment 1036154
I love tennis bag idea. Here in Pdx I don't move guns even from house to car unless it's made to look like something else cuz some wacko will freak out. Tennis bag or normal looking bag (not tactical) no one takes a second look and I don't have to give it a second thought.

also I totally agree with broken down vs ready to go. I carry classic shotguns broken down but that's about it. Everything else i don't break down. Many of my guns are folding stock which is ready to go in about one second. That's why I prefer guns like hk93, brn-180, or similar over AR for SHTF or urban defense role due to not having a buffer.

Last Edited:
LOL.
The hole is the backpack. That the insert is perfectly sized to me for the 12" AR taken down indicates that there's something that can be done without feature creep, or going too far into "tacticool/obvious gunbag".

Making it look more like one of those week long hiking backpacks or simioar might be tge feasible compromise vs looking like a slightly larger Jansport schoolbag... althought it wont be THIS ridiculous
View attachment 1036187
Is that how you get your kettle drum to band practice?

If discretion is truly the goal, it's not just the bag that needs to blend in. Whoever's holding it probably needs to not offer a jarring contrast either.
Dressed like a millwright and carrying a tennis bag , or wearing a skateboard backpack is going to get second looks all day.

If discretion is truly the goal, it's not just the bag that needs to blend in. Whoever's holding it probably needs to not offer a jarring contrast either.
Dressed like a millwright and carrying a tennis bag , or wearing a skateboard backpack is going to get second looks all day.
Yup. I have regular jeans, lots of t shirts.. but also like 5 pairs of solid colored BDU cargo pants...no camo pants.

Actually there's one Jansport 40L internal frame backpack that looks like it would work in terms of shape and layout... the Far Out 40L model. It sort of looks like a school bag with 2 side pockets added and a sleeping bag compartment added.
91lhF76MC0L._AC_UX385_.jpg
81fl6wDpNXL._AC_SX425._SX._UX._SY._UY_.jpg

Very incog Neat-O
Yup. And according to the Jansport website, its 24 x 12 x 7.5 inches; right around where I want for a take-down 12" AR setup... and the layout looks like it'll do nicely for a mostly range/walkabout/plainclothes bag. Doesn't need to be one of those "SHTF active shooter" setups with armor ready to go or anything like that ;)
Could even work good for getting to a campground then have AR put together as a sleeping bag gun/camp defense gun.

One of my favorite places to hunt coyotes has me starting out from a sub division, and a public hiking trail. I share that trail for the first half mile and then move on to private ranch land. When I hunt there I use a H&R Handi Rifle that breaks down to a 24" barrel. I carry it in a aluminum tube that was made for camera tripods or a fishing rod.
As far as the hikers know I'm taking pic's of the sunrise! The people in the housing tract only see another hiker. The tube keeps my scope from taking a beating too. People see what they expect to see! DR

I am nowhere near skinny, alt looking nor pretentious enough to act like I'm a musician :p
I'm surprised @sobo Hasn't found the bait... 😇
Well, when ya dangle it in front of me like that, It's hard not to resist hitting it...
Something tells me I'm going to seriously regret making this post... :oops:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads