Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Low price used 1911

Discussion in 'Handgun Discussion' started by KRaven, Sep 26, 2015.

1. KRaven

KRaven Member

So I've been looking into picking up a 1911 but am not wanting to pay much. Would love to stay around $350-$400. But it seems fairly uncommon to find a used one in that price range. Is there any brand specifically I should keep an eye out for or any websites other then gunbroker that may aid in my quest?

2. KRaven

KRaven Member

Yeah for the time being at least it would just be a fun gun. I have been looking at the Taurus pt1911 they seem to have a lot of good features for the price. But I can't seem to come across any of the cheaper 1911s up for sale. Any input on other sites to look at?

3. etrain16

etrain16 Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I don't know if you're going to find a 'name brand' 1911, even used, in that price range. Ruger, Springfield, even Taurus, are going to run over your price range, even used.

In your range, you're getting more into Rock Island Armory and some other imports.

I've got an inexpensive 1911 by Tisas that I paid just under $400 new. I have to say, for the money, it's very well built and it's a very accurate gun (I just shot it again today). Some of the lower priced guns are pretty rough in their finish, etc, but this one (a Turkish import) has been pretty impressive to me for the money. Girsan is another import you might check out. Bud's gunshop carries both brands.

Here is a link to one of the current Tisas models (they have them with and without rails):

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/1853/products_id/411554043/180+Days+to+Pay/Tisas 1911-A2 45 ACP 5/quot; Walnut Grips/

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the Tisas.

ogre and titsonritz like this.
  4. ZA_Survivalist

ZA_Survivalist Oregon AK's all day.

Sometimes and I mean "sometimes" RIA's come up for sale but right at the $400 mark, add in $50 for that SB941 extortion amd you're sitting at $450.. Which you may as well save and just buy online from buds or where ever when a sale goes on.
    Shipping is around $10, then just a $35 BGC and transfer and its BRAND NEW.

Ive yet to find a $350 1911 aside from the para ones that went on sale at Sportsmans warehouse for Black friday.. Which I missed.. And am still bitter about.

etrain16 likes this.
  5. Diamondback

Diamondback A cold, wet green Hell Well-Known Member

Last time I checked Sportsman's Warehouse had the basic GI-repro RIA for around $350 plus taxes/etc around Sodom on the Sound.

6. KRaven

KRaven Member

I missed the sale at sportsmans as well and that is a pain that will last forever. So it sounds like the Tisa or other Turkish or Philippine manufactured firearm may be the right way to go. The more I look around the more I've come to terms with the fact I will probably end up with a basic GI model. I'm not 100% familiar with the GI, is the front sight replaceable?

ZA_Survivalist likes this.
  7. fredball

fredball Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

Rock island comes to mind

8. Diamondback

Diamondback A cold, wet green Hell Well-Known Member

On a GI, you'll probably need to have a smith replace the front sight. Incidentally, I'd suggest giving 'em a try before you have work done; for some of us they do work well enough--the Essex mixmaster I carried in my Executive Protection days and have packed for most of my adult life has 'em and I've never had a problem, but maybe I just got lucky. :)

9. Page.k

Page.k Seattle Active Member

I did see a few Rock Island 1911's on sale outside of the Seattle area for 399.99 last November. If we know what state and what area you're in we may know of a place local to look. :cool:

10. Reno911

Reno911 Hillsboro Well-Known Member 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

Keep your eyes on www.surplusammo.com they sell rock islands. They tend to run sales on them often and the rates drop down into the 300s. I almost got one from them last year around BF for 3.

11. Talin

Talin Hwy 30 Active Member

If you can wait for a bit, usually black Friday at sportsman's and other local shops will do some pretty crazy deals, might even find something a wee bit better in quality for just a few hundred bucks more AND with the 2 months from here to then you can save up.

ZA_Survivalist likes this.
  12. Reno911

Reno911 Hillsboro Well-Known Member 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

I worked there during a Black Friday. We had guys and gals lined up waiting in line to fight over the 30 1911s we got in. We handed out numbers before the door even opened. Pretty much anyone under 30 wasn't even promised one as we let folks buy two. So pretty much the 1st 15 people bought them all.

I pretty much hate Black Friday and what it represents. However, you can make out with some pretty good deals if your crazy enough to get into the mix with the rest of the crazies.

I only did Black Friday once. I got up early and went to Big 5. I was the 1st one there and they didn't have any limits on how many you could buy. They had Mosins on sale for $80. I bought all six. Every other dude that walked in after looked at me in disgust. Lol.

Talin likes this.
  13. KRaven

KRaven Member

I forgot all about surplus ammo I'll check there. And I'll have to see if tritac has a GI so I can shoot that and see how the sites are. Like a few of you are recommending I may just wait it out. It's not that much longer until black friday.

14. KRaven

KRaven Member

Haha that's awesome. It seems like the mosin rush at big5 is always quick. I've missed it like 3 years in a row before I finally just gave up and bought one with out Black Friday.

15. Talin

Talin Hwy 30 Active Member

Tis true, only drawback lol

16. B5Ben

B5Ben Boise Well-Known Member

slimer13 likes this.
  17. Schwabdl

Schwabdl Hillsboro Active Member

18. Velzey

Velzey Estacada, Oregon Gunsmith Gunsmith Bronze Vendor Bronze Supporter

Your best bet would be a Rock Island, I would stay away from anything made in Turkey.

I still have some steel shards in my leg from a broken locking lug from a Turkish made shotgun that decided to come apart with a target load. The entire bolt and locking lug shattered like glass. It was heat treated way to hard!! Spent 8 hours in the ER while they dug it all out!

19. Dreams of Steel

Dreams of Steel Sherwood Gold Supporter Gold Supporter 2016 Volunteer

I have a Tisas Zig M1911 (A1 style) that I got from Buds Gun Shop for $199.00 and free shipping. I have heavily modified it with a new MSH, fitted a beavertail grip safety, commander style hammer, adjustable trigger, polished feed ramp and all that, plus new grips and other accessories, and it is just as reliable as it was the day I took it out of the box...100%. I have had exactly 1 FTF and that was within the first 30 or so rounds. I am into the gun approx. $400 now and it has all the features I want, and I learned a LOT along the way. It's the best value for money in the 1911 class that I have ever seen. They can currently be had for $300-400 right now, or for less around Black Friday (when I bought mine). I cannot recommend it highly enough, although the other brands mentioned above have good reputations for the most part as well.

20. KRaven

KRaven Member

For $199 that's amazing! I'll have to look into it. Where the front sights pinned or on a dovetail?