JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey folks,

I don't typically reload. I've done some, and worked up some rounds over the years, but am not really set up for it right now. I'm hoping someone has a 'formula' for a low pressure .30-06 load that I can copy, or even better, find someone that will load some for me. I'll provide supplies and adult beverages, of course.

Back story: I've recently 'found' a New York State RRB that is one of the ones that was re-barreled back in the 50s with a surplus 03A3 barrel. There were quite a few of these done, and I understand they were pretty OK with the surplus Garand ammo that was floating around back then, but the 'official' statement from Remington is that they should not exceed 40,000psi.

Any ideas?

Thanks

@Certaindeaf, The barrel is from an 03A3. The receiver and action is a Remington Model 1872 rolling block. It is the breech that I am concerned about.

@DizzyJ I understand it was tongue in cheek, but with the sharper neck .308 actually makes more pressure with standard loads than .30-06 with both coming in around 60,000psi. I think need something that will burn a little slower, with a somewhat smaller charge, and I would love for it to push some heavier lead--maybe 225g?

RRB.jpg

Last Edited:
BoringCruffler wrote:
"I'm hoping someone has a 'formula' for a low pressure .30-06 load..."

Hodgdon reduced load "formula."

-------------------

Hodgdon standard loads:

Bruce

Last Edited:
Call up western powders and ask to speak to a balistition and tell them what you'd like to do, they most likely will work up something with a heavy cast bullet and 5744 powder.

There is. It's called a .308 :D
Yep, you can always load the 30-06 down to 300 savage and 308 winchester levels, but suffice it to say (and this is going to hurt the 308win fan boys feelers), you can not load the 308 up to max 30-06 levels...:s0133:That's why the 30-06 is bestest...:D

This is just an idea. Please talk to someone who has Actual Knowledge before trying.

Trail Boss powder is used for low pressure Cowboy Action loads. My GUESS is that it could be used for low pressure 30-06 loads.

Please talk to someone who Knows, before trying.

I have been reloading 30/06 reduced recoil loads for many years. I also reload hundreds of 30/06 rounds annually
for M1, O3 and O3A3. For reduced loads I use a lower powder charge and lighter weight bullet. I am just a
re-loader for my own personnel firearms. To provide reloads for another person would be a huge liability???:oops:
I think you will need to step up and reload some ammo yourself or someone can 'Loan' a reloading
set up?:D
DSC00180.JPG

My father always used full power commercial loads in his sporterized 03A3 - he took many elk with it. Of course, that isn't the rifle the OP posted - which as he pointed out is not an 03A3, it just has the barrel from one.

I've loaded plinker subsonic loads for rifles and handguns - light loads of pistol powder with dacron on top. I have not reloaded in a while, but I did purchase some Trail Boss which is what I would recommend if you want to go really light.

DuPont and successor IMR Powders put out a load data booklet that listed all of the appropriate IMR numbers for a given cartridge and bullet weight. It was pretty handy. I'm sitting here looking at the 1990 edition. They advise 10% reduction from their recommended loads. The data they show for .30-40 Krag looks like reductions of from 10% to 20% those for .30-06 and all are under 40,000 psi. They show loads across the entire line of IMR powders available in 1990, which is most of what is still available. When I put together reduced loads for .30-06 (and 8mm Mauser) I usually go with the faster rifle powders, like 4227 or 4198. A favorite for this purpose is SR 4759 which is no longer available. But AA 5744 is similar. IMR 4895 may be safely reduced by 2/5 of full charge. Stick powders are preferred for reduced charge loads. This recommendation is for jacketed bullets.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top