JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I don't remember anymore, I want to say they don't have the anti flash rust stuff in the hoppe's version, but I could be wrong.

I buy the Mpro7 stuff by the gallon from Amazon, gets cheaper the more you buy.

Is CLP typically for cleaning or lube - or both?

Both. The CLP stands for Clean Lube Protect. For regular cleaning after a range trip, it works well. For more difficult cleaning, I'll stick with a dedicated cleaner. It's a nice all in one solution - I always keep some in my range bag. I've been using it for several years and have no complaints.

The aroma of Hoppe's and other strong scented solvents gives my wife a headache. I REALLY need her to start cleaning her own guns! Anyone using something that works but is easy(er) on the nose than Hoppe's, Shooter's Choice or similar solvents?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
And I really don't NEED a whiny husband, yet here you are. :p

Is CLP typically for cleaning or lube - or both?
Back when I first found this was before they named it CLP. Sold as Triflon or some such. Idea was it was a lube. Seemed to work great. I soon found it seemed to clean also. Later when I saw it sold as Breakfree CLP they were selling it as both. I have "heard" it's not real good for leading but I never had anything that I needed that for. So have long just used it to clean and lube in one step. Sill miss the smell of #9. Some times when I am working in the shop I will put a little on a rag just to fill the place with that smell :)

Some of the best cleaning products I have are from Boretech. There's no odor either.
Eliminator is the basic go to solvent for powder, lead, and copper. When you need more carbon cleaning like for a AR bolt group, there's C4 carbon remover. For more copper reduction, they have a specific copper remover that works amazing. The other cleaning products I'm partial to are from Wipeout but there's a bit of odor with them. I use them both cuz they work.
Here's a link to great info from Boretech: Knowledge Center - Information Center

after cleaning, the best bore protectants are Hornady one shot with dynaglide and frog lube.
Here's a link to a 3rd party exhaustive test where 46 products were torture tested: Comprehensive Corrosion Test: 46 Products Compared

Hoppes old #9? I put that sh!t on everything:D. Love the smell, I could probably bathe in it. Brings back memories of duck hunting with my dearly departed dad, where I was first exposed to the wonderful elixir, but I digress. As always ymmv.

Hoppes old #9? I put that sh!t on everything:D. Love the smell, I could probably bathe in it. Brings back memories of duck hunting with my dearly departed dad, where I was first exposed to the wonderful elixir, but I digress. As always ymmv.
I have been tempted to take a plug in air freshener and replace the liquid with Hoppes #9.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads