JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The aroma of Hoppe's and other strong scented solvents gives my wife a headache. I REALLY need her to start cleaning her own guns! Anyone using something that works but is easy(er) on the nose than Hoppe's, Shooter's Choice or similar solvents?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

For the solvent/cleaner? Easy.

MPro-7 gun cleaner - highly effective and little to zero odour.

Bear in mind that it's the cleaner portion of your regime, it does not lubricate or protect, though it does leave a little coating to protect from flash rusting. For a scentless lubrication/protectant, i can highly recommend Slip2000 EWL or Seal1.

I've only ever cleaned inside the house, in my office in fact, zero issues from the Wife or myself ;)

Hoppes Elite has almost no odor and cleans really well.

741F998E-E74D-4712-B098-0941171F9523.jpeg

Thanks for those recommendations. The lubrication we are generally good with finding low odor products. Just noticed the "scent free" wording on the Hoppe's Elite. I appreciate the assistance...since she bought another one today! As she told the gentleman at the gun counter...

Big diamonds make you a victim, big guns make the criminals a victim.

I REALLY need her to start cleaning her own guns!

Good luck with that. My better half (@TeacherSmurf) has shot for a long time, with a lot of different firearms. Guess who still cleans all the guns, including hers? Yo! (And, no, she's not a wuss. She baits her own hooks, for example.)

Beyond that, Ballistol, imho, smells delightful. Though I normally "clean" with others (Hoppes, etc.) and lubricate/protect with the aforementioned. Doing so outside (when the weather is OK) or in my office/workshop (when the weather sucks) makes the smell factor a non-issue for the family and insures the potato-headed sidekicks won't interrupt said cleaning.

Good luck with that. My better half (@TeacherSmurf) has shot for a long time, with a lot of different firearms. Guess who still cleans all the guns, including hers? Yo! And, no, she's not a wuss. She baits her own hooks, for example.

But I could get Grandpa to clean the fish. :p

Thanks for those recommendations. The lubrication we are generally good with finding low odor products. Just noticed the "scent free" wording on the Hoppe's Elite. I appreciate the assistance...since she bought another one today! As she told the gentleman at the gun counter...

Big diamonds make you a victim, big guns make the criminals a victim.

She sounds like someone I would like to go shopping with. :D

Thanks for all the help. I do want to clarify. Hoppe's doesn't give me headaches, it give me really bad migraines. I've always been the type of girl, if you can't run with the big dogs stay on the porch. Not cleaning my own keeps me on the porch. But it also keeps me in the kitchen. lol I will be picking up some Elite this weekend.

Happy Shooting!

Thanks for all the help. I do want to clarify. Hoppe's doesn't give me headaches, it give me really bad migraines. I've always been the type of girl, if you can't run with the big dogs stay on the porch. Not cleaning my own keeps me on the porch. But it also keeps me in the kitchen. lol I will be picking up some Elite this weekend.

Happy Shooting!
Recommended the mpro7 instead, it's better as it's their brand formulation, elite is slightly inferior as made by mpro7.

Let me rephrase that - they're not going to use the best formula for another company (competition)

Thanks everyone. You can get the hanging air fresheners that are Hoppe' s scented, seriously. Thought about putting them up in the Mancave (reloading room / shop) but @SouthernGirl said I would be sleeping there too!o_O

Smells and the effects of fumes certainly vary by individual.

While some people love it (especially redneck teens around Forest Grove/Banks), the slightest whiff of diesel exhaust nauseates me, headache and everything.

But then 2-stroke bikes (think flat-track races at the PI in the 60s) and Hoppe's #9 rate right up there with freshly baked bread for me.

I forgot to mention CLP as well. I use that pretty regularly too - not scent free, but I have never taken real notice of the smell - so it must be pretty mild.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews