JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
After testing some trail boss loads in my wife's SP101 357 i sent a few cylinders of Remington 125gr Golden Saber 38+P down range. WOW can you say fireball? The recoil was modest and they were plenty accurate but seemed to emit a soccer ball of yellow fire. These are the first hd factory ammo i have shot but i don't recall the 357mags throwing nearly the fire these did.
With defense ammo being big $$ do you have any recommendations? This is the wife's gun and i'd like to keep recoil and blast as low as possible while still being effective.

But for practice 4.0gr of trailboss under a 125gr LRN is great! It shot good in my marlin too.
Thanks,

To reduce the "flash" you'll have to use a faster burning powder, one that doesn't tend to toss a bunch of unburned powder out with the bullet.

For handloads try some HS-6 or HP-38.

As for factory +P, you pays your money and takes your chances. +P loads are loaded for MAX performance and depending on barrel length one can find them real "illuminating" In my 9mm Power Pistol not only lights things up, it's got a real loud "Bark" as well;)

Speer "short Barrel" gold dots are going to be my next try when i can find them. My plinking 125gr and unique throw no fire but they are book minimum too. I'd like to stick with factory for HD.

I have 135gr speer LE GoldDot in the wifes SP101 for just this reason, plus she likes the very easy recoil and low flash it hits very close to POA for her she actually likes them better to practice with than regular .38 sp. She is pretty small herself so thats what I would suggest. Good luck

You may try Buffalo Bore Standard pressure Short barrel Low Flash HVY 38 SPL with 158gr soft lead SWC-HC bullets, Item 20C. These are loaded to mirror the famous FBI loads but with reduced muzzle flash. BB claim they clock 850fps. I've clocked them at 810 fps ave in my J-frame. In my penetration test, from a 5yd distance, the bullet went thru three 1gal milk jugs filled with water and punctured the 4th, but did not penetrate it. The bullet mushroomed as expected.

That same day I tested several other defensive ammo and BB performed as well or better than the others. Needless is to say it is my current carry ammo. BB also have a +P version you are welcome to try.

This forum rocks, thanks guys. It would cost me a fortune to try out a bunch of HD loads. Being a reloader it hurts twice as bad paying $1+ a shot for a 38spl. I'll pick up a few boxes when i find them and report back.

To reduce the "flash" you'll have to use a faster burning powder, one that doesn't tend to toss a bunch of unburned powder out with the bullet.

For handloads try some HS-6 or HP-38.

As for factory +P, you pays your money and takes your chances. +P loads are loaded for MAX performance and depending on barrel length one can find them real "illuminating" In my 9mm Power Pistol not only lights things up, it's got a real loud "Bark" as well;)

HP38 is on my list of powders to try for .38 special. I'm informed it is the same as Winchester 231.

HP38 is on my list of powders to try for .38 special. I'm informed it is the same as Winchester 231.

You'd be amazed at what powders are the "same as". There was a consolidation in the Powder Industry and several "names" ended up being owned by the same company. In order to gain as many customers as possible they just put the same "stuff" in different labeled containers. A lot like the tire industry. Hundreds of names and only a few manufacturers.

I have found in my 2" barrel .38 that less is better for accuracy. My most accurate rounds so far have been just 4 grains of Bullseye with little flash and no heavy recoil. With the pistol on sand bags I was shocked at how accurate it was at 10 yds. Granted if you are worried about going through inches of ballistic nylon clothing and 4" of lard. You might want a hotter round. Myself I want it to hit where I point it. And since most events requiring a pistol for self defense happen at night. I'll be happy to retain some night vision after the first round.

Having shot a deer once right at the end of civil twilight on a east facing slope with a rifle with open iron sights. I wasn't able to see spit once I fired that .308 the muzzle flash blinded me to the point I was barely able to find the deer for the second shot. (rifle was borrowed and I was using garage sale ammo, nothing was sighted in it was a complete fluke I saw a deer when I did)

You might want to also look at Titegroup. I have used all the above powders and settled on this because of it's versatility in all the rounds I reload.

I would invite some comments from others on my choice .......feedback??? Pro's or Con's on my choice? Willing to listen to all suggestions.........

3N37 is the lowest flash powder I have worked with.

This is a great powder. Unfortunately it's not always readily available, tends to be more expensive, and if not careful it can yield some real dangerous rounds.

Vihtavouri is very explicit with recommended OAL's too. Because one can go from "great" to "Oh Crap" so quickly with this powder I wouldn't recommend it for a beginner.

You might want to also look at Titegroup.

I can't say anything bad about Tightgroup but one needs to be real careful with it. It's "versatility" comes from the fact you can use real small loads in calibers like the 40 S&W which makes it easy to overlook a double charge. Unlike those powders that will overflow a case when "doubled", Tightgroup loads all to often leave enough room for twice the powder and still be able to seat the bullet. There is more than one pistol that has suddenly sent parts flying in various directions due to this.

While this is not a "powder problem" it does warrant extra caution when using it at small case fill levels.

I can't say anything bad about Tightgroup but one needs to be real careful with it. It's "versatility" comes from the fact you can use real small loads in calibers like the 40 S&W which makes it easy to overlook a double charge. Unlike those powders that will overflow a case when "doubled", Tightgroup loads all to often leave enough room for twice the powder and still be able to seat the bullet. There is more than one pistol that has suddenly sent parts flying in various directions due to this.

While this is not a "powder problem" it does warrant extra caution when using it at small case fill levels.

X2

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads