JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
so ive recently been in contact with a cousin who has also just recently been released from prison and i would like to invite her to my home, without risking possible parole violation for her. at this point i dont have a gun safe but i do have a safe that i can put my handgun in but thats not necessarily the problem, i dont have anything to secure my rifle in. now im not worried about her seeking the weapon out or trying to handle it in any way, nor do i think she would know what to do with it if she wanted to. so here's the question: does anyone have any suggestions on a low cost way to secure the rifle so that it wouldnt put her in a situation where she may have problems with her PO? the biggest part is just helping her keep to the extra rules she has to follow and my budget is very limited.

or am i just worried about nothing and keeping them out of sight is enough?

just a latter note: i have already planned to keep them out of sight but she does know of the weapons.

It could violate her terms of release to be in the same house as a firearm. Might be good to find out and deal with it before she comes.

im pretty sure thats not right. in fact she is permitted to live in a home that has a medical marijuana grow in the home (legally of course). i have a friend who has had his rights to weapons revoked too and his take is very different on it. cant say i trust what he says about it but i dont invite him to my home either.

im pretty sure thats not right. in fact she is permitted to live in a home that has a medical marijuana grow in the home (legally of course). i have a friend who has had his rights to weapons revoked too and his take is very different on it. cant say i trust what he says about it but i dont invite him to my home either.

Don't just guess, do a bit of research for your friends sake.

Can a felon live in a home with a gun if it belongs to someone else? ? 31 Legal Answers as of June 10, 2013 - LawQA.com

oh she wont be living here, just visiting. i was just looking to see if anyone had a clear understanding of what the law requires of her specifically when entering someone else's home when they have a weapon. im just trying to help her keep out of trouble when coming into my home.

Cheapest of all, bring it to a friends house for the duration of her visit. That leaves you without access to it as well, but if you are that concerned about 'needing' it in that timeframe, you'll have to decline the visit.

Go to the local hardware store and buy a keyed entry lockset that will fit one of your closet doors. And swap it out with the regular lockset. Keep the key in your pocket.

put the rifle in the closet.

She does not have access to the rifle.

Do not tell her PO you have a firearm. unless specifically asked.

released from prison... and your concern about guns... assumably then she's convicted of a felony... I like the closet lock idea.

and I'm amused at our legal system.. any felony no matter what makes a person an instant suspected crazy that could grab a gun at any moment and go on a rampage.

I'd put it in the trunk of your car. That's locked and she won't have access to it for her visit. Is she staying overnight or for multiple nights, or are you just talking about coming over for dinner or something?

its just a day visit, no over night things she lives in hillsboro and im in aloha. also the locked closet idea sounds great. i think i know just what closet to use for that too.

for those curious about why im trying to go out of the way like this for her; she is polygraphed every 2 weeks about everything she has done and i want to to be able to tell the truth if they ask if she has had access to weapons.

thanks for the help guys.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top