Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Low Cost Water Filter

Discussion in 'Preparedness & Survival' started by Mephistopheles, Aug 28, 2013.

1. Mephistopheles

Mephistopheles Lane County, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

We here on the West side of the Cascades are fortunate to have a ready supply of water available should things get out of hand. Always a good idea to filter any water and since I can't afford (cheapskate) a Berkley Filter System, I found a site that shows how to build a low cost water filter. Expedient Family Survival Water Filter . I noticed my local Home Depot has the same buckets in the photos. I bought my buckets at WinCo along with the Gamma Seal lid. Waiting on the delivery of the filter and extra cartridge. Hope it gets here before things explode in the Middle east.

Sgt Nambu and (deleted member) like this.
  2. erudne

erudne The Pie Matrix PPL Say Sleeping W/Your Rifle Is A bad Thing? Bronze Supporter

Buy some BBQ charcoal JIC you need a filter

3. rocky3

rocky3 oregon coast Active Member

What barbeque charcoal is not contaminated with additives? I too need to find a pure charcoal for my water filter. $18.00 for a 6 month filter is way too much, that is what my water filter takes.
    Than there is the method of grinding the charcoal to fit inside of filter.

erudne and (deleted member) like this.
  4. DeadEyeMcGoo

DeadEyeMcGoo Seattle Active Member

I just picked up a large container of activated charcoal at my local fish and aquarium supply store. Built a filter using a two liter bottle, coffee filters and the charcoal and it seems to work great. Cleans up the impurities from my hillbilly hobby too. :drunk:

erudne and (deleted member) like this.
  5. slingshot1943

slingshot1943 salem or Well-Known Member

So we are cooking over harmful additives on the bar b q ?

6. erudne

erudne The Pie Matrix PPL Say Sleeping W/Your Rifle Is A bad Thing? Bronze Supporter

I'm not concerned about additives, one can buy old fashioned charcoal in gunny sacks at many major discount grocers/restaurant wholesalers (like Cash and Carry) I would buy now as it is a seasonal offering. You can also make your own, using hardwood. You'll need to build a long term fire and large earthen mound to cook-down the wood, check internet for details

7. erudne

Got a link to a site that shows details?
    PS washed sand and vegetation will also clean water, google it