JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Noticed a Bushnell Equinox device on sale on Amazon for ~$172 with IR illuminator.

Turns out that although this has not reticle of any type, it is rated to withstand the G forces or recoil, and that you can get a weapon mount for it (looks like it might come with a rail built-in.

Not a NVD or thermal, requires use of the built-in illuminator for really dark environs - it is just an IR sensitive CCD sensor - like that on a camera - not a photo multiplier like most NVDs or thermal. Not particularly sensitive, but good enough out to about 200 yards and better than nothing.

Still, the price and capabilities made it seem like a good value. Saw several vids of people who had mounted it on an AR-15 - one behind a red dot, another behind a scope.

Did some research though, while good quality, there are a few shortcomings; the illuminator is not a true IR only light source, but rather a regular wide spectrum light source behind an IR filter, which makes it visible to the human eye - even at a distance, and it consumes more battery power than is necessary. The other is the limited field of view due to the magnification.

The latter I can live with, but the illuminator being visible severely limits its usefulness on defensive weapons IMO.

The two uses I would have for such a device in a SHTF scenario would be defense/surveillance and hunting at night. For hunting alone, the illuminator would maybe be okay, except for the fact that it betrays your presence to others while hunting. For defense/surveillance it is even worse.

What NVDs/et. al. - besides the typical low cost 1st and 2nd gen surplus devices on the market - are low cost and high value (for the cost) that could be used as a weapon sight and cost under $1K?

Eventually I would want to get a good thermal device, but I am waiting for them to get better while the price comes down.

I've no answer, just a tip.

Wait on until prices come down or new gens come out.

Also whatever you get, get a clip on headgear type over a weapon mounted one. a plus if the headgear can do double duty as weapon mounted.

Think on it for a bit.

Weapon mounted you'd have to go around sweeping all of the time. Headgear you could go around near as normal. Plus you may be able to drive (depends on the system, and if you setup alternate illuminators for it obviously).

Have a 1st gen plus scope which is a hoot to shoot. Could we use it to walk about with? Sure. But it would get old really really fast.

I've no answer, just a tip.

Wait on until prices come down or new gens come out.

Also whatever you get, get a clip on headgear type over a weapon mounted one. a plus if the headgear can do double duty as weapon mounted.

Think on it for a bit.

Weapon mounted you'd have to go around sweeping all of the time. Headgear you could go around near as normal. Plus you may be able to drive (depends on the system, and if you setup alternate illuminators for it obviously).

Have a 1st gen plus scope which is a hoot to shoot. Could we use it to walk about with? Sure. But it would get old really really fast.

That's kind of why I like the FLIR thermal vision. No IR signature to give your position away and it's small, pocket sized. You can scan and put back in your jacket pocket like any Joe and keep walking. I can use it on a hiking trail without looking like I'm something out of Black Hawk Down.

Head mounted gear would be a definite plus, but if I have to shoot something, then I need a weapon sight or an IR laser target designator. Now we are talking $$$. I could afford it, but I have a priority list and I have other things to spend $ on before costly NVD gear. A couple hundred is not going to impact my budget, $4k+ will.

Not weapon sight rated and low resolution.

Combat at night is at far closer ranges, and you aren't trying to count the hairs in their beard or identify what model Sig that is in their hands. Just need to tell if there is a heat signature through them there woods...

Also, I've used the expensive FLIR cameras at work before, you can see the heat signature from peoples feet long after they've walked on the pavement or grass....Try doing that with night vision.

Combat at night is at far closer ranges, and you aren't trying to count the hairs in their beard or identify what model Sig that is in their hands. Just need to tell if there is a heat signature through them there woods...

Also, I've used the expensive FLIR cameras at work before, you can see the heat signature from peoples feet long after they've walked on the pavement or grass....Try doing that with night vision.

Certainly - I want thermal, but if I am going to spend over a thousand dollars, it is going to be a weapon sight rated device, and I will spend the extra thousand or so to get double the resolution.

I have seen comparison vids of the different thermal sights at different ranges, and the high resolution gets you better identification of the target and at longer distances. I do not want to be shooting at just anything passing by - I want to know whether it is a person or an animal, I want to know if they are armed or not, do they have kids with them? Are they acting like they are sneaking up the road or just walking up it? Are they coming on an ATV? Riding a bicycle? Makes a difference to me. If I am going to spend the kind of money that a thermal weapon sight costs, I might as well get one with more resolution.

That is why I am waiting on the thermal devices (I want to get the most bang for my $$$k) and asking about the less expensive (under $1k) devices that would work at closer ranges for now but still be weapon sight rated.

I've been looking at the Sig Echo 1 pretty hard as prices seem to be dropping. Played with one for a while and I think it's very effective and a real force multiplier. They had one at Basspro today for ~$1400. It's impressive tech imo, but it's getting better and cheaper fast.
Have a Seek Reveal handheld device that I like but resolution severely limits its range and usefulness. Good detection but no real ID capability. It is a great way to get introduced to thermal and see how resolution holds it back.
NV seems to have peaked the last few years at G3 I think I want to pick up a PVS 14 first and wait for a better thermal device after.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top