JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Holy crap it's been a while since I was on here much - this year so far has been...interesting.

I've been working my balls off - started doing Uber and Lyft again to get our own finances built up while also trying to help out my mom, who has been imploding but I'll spare ya'll that story.

I set new goals for 2019 at the start of the year, not New Years Resolution nonsense that no one ever sticks with. Actual written down goals, printed and posted above my desk. I'm working on them - the income goals are coming slower, but my physical goals are on a roll.

At the start of the year I was close to 300 lbs - I don't know exactly how close, but damn close if not over. At my heaviest I've scaled I was 315lbs. I typically maintained at 295-305 for the better part of the last decade.

I was getting tired of feeling sick and tired. Back in December my kiddo begged enough that I enrolled us into my old TKD school - he wanted to learn taekwondo just like his school buddies, and after 45 mins of trying to get him to follow my instructions proved...frustrating, I gave up and sought my old instructor's help. Best move I could've made.

I declared 2019 to be the year I got healthier, and it's working. I jumped on the low carb lifestyle train - I'm not calling it a diet because diets don't work, because diets are temporary solutions. A lifetstyle indicates a permanent change.

I cut out processed crap - no soda, no pasta, no bread, no boxed meals, no rice, and no starchy vegetables. I'm eating lots of green veg, some colorful stuff like carrots and peppers and onions, and the occasional piece of fruit as a dessert or mid day snack. Only things I drink are water, tea (unsweetened) and black coffee.

Next to no eating out anymore as a general rule - meals are all done at home. Lots of protein (steak, roast, chicken, chops etc) and veg. I'm discovering new recipes daily to broaden the horizons to make things more appealing to my wife and kiddo.

The last time I hopped on a scale (which has been a couple weeks) I was at 268 lbs. I've not jumped on a scale in that time, because we went to Idaho last weekend for a competition, and it's hard adhering to the meat & veg lifestyle eating at restaurants, so I pushed the pause button for 2.5 days until we got home. I'll weigh in this week to see if I'm back on track - but I've lost probably close to 30 pounds this year, with another 50 to go being my goal. I'm down from a 46 inch waist to a 42 currently, and they're comfortable and not tight. In just over 40 days I lost 10 lbs and a couple inches between early Feb and late March. My wife and friends have noticed a huge difference, and I'm feeling better than I have in years.

I used to suffer from mid-day hunger pangs, and low energy levels. I thought I was borderline diabetic at times, and could not go more than 4-6 hours without eating or I'd get the shakes. I was huffing and puffing through some moderately strenuous things (I'd still do it, but it was a killer) like hiking the terrain while hunting or fishing, and I hated stairs.

I don't get those same mid day pangs now, and my energy levels are more...level. I don't get shaky anymore, and have actually by accident hopped onto the intermittent fasting thing - as I typically only eat now during an 8 hour window most days, and thus have 16 hours with no food intake. That was not how things used to be, as I'd graze or snack or have sometimes 4 meals (of pretty crap food, comparatively) a day.

I'm exercising 3-4x a week, at least an hour at a time, sometimes I wind up getting 2 hours of workout in. I'm back to teaching as an assistant instructor at my TKD school - working with the beginner and intermediate classes, and running an informal 2 hour black belt adult class on Friday nights. I'm also doing private BJJ sessions with a friend of mine who has setup his garage with mats, and it's been a great addition to my martial arts so far too, and it's fun being a beginner again.

I still want to add weight training into my weekly routine, as I want to start building up more muscle strength. I still have joint issues in my knees and hips, but they're getting better. I think the weights will help with that, too.

Here's a good comparison photo to show my progress this year:

Feb to March Comparison.JPG

Keep at it. You're heading to a far better lifestyle, as you've found out.
I (we) basically changed the whole intake, after most of my life the eating has been "free range" That is/was the most difficult to curb.
Since the change, I personally lost 22lbs in the first 3 weeks, with similarities to your choices of consumption. Mind you, most of my life my weight was at or near 145lbs. With age, and bad eating habits, that crawled upwards of 175lbs.
Water was never an everyday intake for me previously, and now, I have a my morning cup of coffee, then iced water the rest of the day. I drink 120+ ounces now on the norm. This brought change to how the bladder responded. A "heavy" (bloated?) feeling for the first week or so. Many trips to regain relief. The bladder and my system has balance now. Much easier. I actually come to enjoy water beyond the quench. Since I started the journey, I feel a lot healthier and far more energetic. My wife is also feeling a lot better, and she's doing great at sticking to the changes.

Push-ups are one of the best types of exercises that utilizes most muscle groups to perform.
Stick to it!!

I got back from a vacation in Japan at 321lbs last October. Started the low carb thing and got down to 290lbs by Christmas.

Then I started dating a gal and we have been going out to dinner way, way too much. She was doing keto as well and lost around 30lbs.

I've been doing great during the week, then cheating too much on weekends. Last weigh-in I was at 292, so not too bad.

Just started a new shift today and am getting focused back on staying carb-free.

I noticed all of the benefits you did and am a huge advocate for the low-carb lifestyle. Just need to get back on it and lose another 60lbs. At 6'2" and large-framed, my ideal weight is around 220lbs. If I could get back to even 240lbs, I would be ecstatic!

Get a construction job, join the carpenters union. You'll make more money than you've ever had and lose weight like a waterfall. 100k a year job. Portland or, or Seattle wa. You will be in the best health you've ever been in.

Awesome job dude. Glad to hear all is well and things are going good.

Yeah same here.

My wife went on this cors thing to see what foods she was allergic to. I went on it too and started losing. Then my wife found this doctor on YouTube touting keto stuff and it got me interested.

If low carb is hard core, keto is hard core to low carb. No fruit other then avocado, and carrots can make you exceed the daily goals so we cut that out too.

No milk and stuff, milk sugar.

About my only intentional carbs now are to help with sleep. I eat a few cherries in the evening on occasion or a spoonful of honey.(Both not allowed on keto but it helps me sleep so f it)

Down 13lbs so far, wife is down 30lbs. Been pretty consistent at about 1.5lbs a week.

I gotta say I don't get hungry but I do crave fat and bacon now, it's weird. Also we only do one to two meals a day and stopped worrying about the ratio of fat because we stopped losing when we tried to get the 70% and it upped calories too much.

I think it wasn't necessary anyway because I've been on a lower carb diet for years now for fear of diabetes. I think I was already close to being fat adapted.

Uuugh.... there's so much sugar in everything these days, I can't hardly stand it! Although I like crushed fresh strawberries on vanilla ice cream, I'm not much of a dessert eater, and on the rare occasions I have a sugar OD I start to feel "unwell" and sluggish. :confused:

I also don't tend to add salt to my food either... but I'll smother the H out of it with black pepper and maybe some Cholula sauce... it keeps the wife from picking off my plate, LOL!

Last Edited:
Uuugh.... there's so much sugar in everything these days, I can't hardly stand it! Although I like crushed fresh strawberries on vanilla ice cream, I'm not much of a dessert eater, and on the rare occasions I have a sugar OD I start feel "unwell". :confused:

I also don't tend to add salt to my food either... but I'll smother the H out of it with black pepper and maybe some Cholula sauce... it keeps the wife from picking off my plate, LOL!
Not just sugar, but tons of variants of corn syrup which the body technically can't process. Read food ingredient labels.

Nice. I did a week of strict Keto in January to drop a quick 5 pounds, then have been a steady one pound a week loss by cutting bread, pasta, rice, potatos and sugar. I increased green vegetables and salads. My weaknesses are Diet Coke and peanuts. My waist dropped from 42 to 40. I should hit my goal by Christmas.

Being diagnosed diabetic 9 years ago was a blessing in disguise, at the time I was going to the gym 5-6 days a week and eating anything I wanted.

The disease made me focus on my intake as output was not the issue. This journey of finding the correct amount and ratio has resulted in a drop of 50+ pounds. I actually stopped weight lifting to really figure out my intake and am now ready to get back into the gym.

My goal is to fit back into my uniforms after not being able to for the last 23 years.

Thanks for sharing your story, as it helps to keep everyone motivated.

Great job, keep at it.

Uuugh.... there's so much sugar in everything these days, I can't hardly stand it! Although I like crushed fresh strawberries on vanilla ice cream, I'm not much of a dessert eater, and on the rare occasions I have a sugar OD I start feel "unwell". :confused:

While I'm not on keto perse - I follow a lot of the advice because it applies to low carb eating. I don't really crave sugar or junk anymore, but there are some neat low carb dessert recipes I found and tried - so far my fav is low carb fudge. Super simple version is:

Organic (natural) peanut butter (which is just crushed peanuts and salt)
Dark chocolate (60% cacao or better) melted and stirred into the chocolate.

Salt, vanilla (a teaspoon of it, maybe) to taste.

One can omit the salt and the vanilla.

Or add a table spoon or two of coconut oil - which as it turns out - is really good for you. Unless you're allergic to coconut like my wife :rolleyes:

My wife made keto-friendly pancakes a couple weeks ago, she got them right after I attempted and failed hard at the same. I ate them with browned butter and soaked up egg yolk with them.

My wife has actually complained about this new eating - she got tired of having steak a couple nights in a row (winco has had some really damn good beef deals of late) - I looked at her like she was mental.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top