JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Thanks all. Burt did you excerise, or just eat healthy to lose that weight?

At first, my feet were hurting so bad (from work, on ladders, and the extra weight) that it made most exercise very difficult. Plus the weight was killing my back. So it was all juicing/eating right at first, then adding in exercise later. Now I can run, jump, move like I used to years ago.

Just had to decide which I liked/craved more. Being able to run/walk or unhealthy bar-type food. Nasty food lost.

Some people would rather go the other route. I have a friend with a sciatic nerve problem due to weight and he hobbles around like he is 80. He won't get serious about eating right, so he'll just get worse and worse. We all make choices.

I do have new found sympathy for people who are/get overweight. It is very easy to get there as you age. I was in the best shape of my life in my mid-30s, then WHAM. For men, 35-45 is about the time you have to decide to be a hobbler or not.

We don't eat pork, shellfish or any other scavenger meats.. they are packed with uric acid, which causes gout and joint disintegration, and a lot more

Just a very short rant (lol), but it doesn't help that we have been chemical-d up and poisoned so much the last 30 years. '83 - 2103. Asparatame, care of Donald Rumfield's corrupt gang. Nasty nerve toxin that becomes very bad stuff at body temperature; creates hunger; the GMO disaster and the support of the criminal FDA. Truth About Aspartame - It is POISON!!! 80% of the food at your grocery store contains this poison.

People are stupid, yes. Are they getting dumber every day? Yes. HOWEVER, the obesity in the USA over the last 30 years is not just do to dumb people making stupid choices. Americas have been systematically drugged, poisoned, and sprayed into obesity and illness.

Americans are a mess in just about every regard - http://theeconomiccollapseblog.com/...ss-anger-divorce-obesity-anti-depressants-etc

TPTB have a lot to lose if the people were healthy and clear minded. Dependent weaklings are easier to enslave. End of rant.

Calories in vs Calories out

3500 calories = 1lb of weight lose

Cut 500 calories out of your diet a day and lose 1lb a week or burn 500 calories a day exercising which would equate to about an hour on the elliptical or treadmill.

No matter how much you work out it's 90% diet.

Wanted to also say that I effing love every single post from Burt Gummer...

Calories in VS out can be proven very simply by fasting.. you will lose weight, guaranteed. I've known a lot of fatties who try to reason away the obvious

Wife's friend turned us on to the diet, she lost 56 pounds in a year, with no exercise. They call it the Ketogenic diet. I am not 100% sold on it, as I have high cholesterol as well, but I am going in to talk to my doctor on Wednesday and get her opinion. I figure with the working out, and the new diet, I can drop about 20 more pounds, then switch back to a more sensible diet and maintain. I just need to loose the excess.

Just went and saw the Doc today. Good news, in the 14 days or so I've been doing a Ketogenic diet, I lost 10 pounds. Bad news, Ketogenic is a fancy term for Atkins, and with my cholesterol as high as it is, she recommends I discontinue. So, I'll be going back to just a standard low carb diet and reintroduce fruit and my morning oatmeal. Still staying away from wheat, I am a hard core skeptic, but after reading a book and seeing some result, I am willing to continue to not eat it. I am going to see a nutritionist in a few weeks, as I'd really like to manage my cholesterol with diet and not pills. I hate popping pills!

Calories in VS out can be proven very simply by fasting.. you will lose weight, guaranteed. I've known a lot of fatties who try to reason away the obvious

When I was a beach bum in S.Cal we lived in a VW van and food was scarce. After a year or so of visiting every beach mentioned in every Beach Boys song I headed back to Portland. I was 158 lbs lol. Yeah, not having food will do that to you!!

There is only one real way I know to succeed significantly in losing weight and that is juicing. When I start slipping I just start juicing my 2pm or later meals and the weight goes away at a pound a day. Not to mention the REAL nutrition knocks out many other things that might ail someone like joint pain, headaches, immune system.

You could clear out 95% of the garbage at Rite Aid if you have access to a juicer, some Kale, tomatoes, peppers, squash, apples, spinach, etc.

As Charles Barkley said, "Yes, I'd rather be eating pizza and steak I won't lie." Well duh. It IS a sacrifice, but worth it.

I should add that once you adapt to eating real food that old, greasy food you used to love will seem gross to you.

A pizza smells like moldy socks to me now. Very weird.

I should add that once you adapt to eating real food that old, greasy food you used to love will seem gross to you.

A pizza smells like moldy socks to me now. Very weird.

Ok. So, what juice recipts are out there? Cause I'm thinking it will taste like crap. True?
Do you juice every meal? How much and which is a good juicers? Can I just use my food processor?

Just went and saw the Doc today. Good news, in the 14 days or so I've been doing a Ketogenic diet, I lost 10 pounds. Bad news, Ketogenic is a fancy term for Atkins, and with my cholesterol as high as it is, she recommends I discontinue. So, I'll be going back to just a standard low carb diet and reintroduce fruit and my morning oatmeal. Still staying away from wheat, I am a hard core skeptic, but after reading a book and seeing some result, I am willing to continue to not eat it. I am going to see a nutritionist in a few weeks, as I'd really like to manage my cholesterol with diet and not pills. I hate popping pills!

High cholesterol and such is somewhat a blessing under Obama care isn't it? Cause being 90 years old under that care is like slow motion death.

High cholesterol and such is somewhat a blessing under Obama care isn't it? Cause being 90 years old under that care is like slow motion death.

No idea, I have never looked into Obama care as I have great insurance right now. Some insurance companies consider it a preexisting condition and will jack your rates, so I would rather handle it with diet, if I can. I personally think I am screwed because of my genetics.

I can speak to the low-carb diet, as I have tried it twice. It works for me, in that the weight just falls off - and what's not to like about a diet that lets you have bacon and steak? .

Many think that it is a diet high in unhealthy fats, and the old Atkins plan was. But over the years it has evolved. Now a true Atkins plan is vegetable based, supplemented by healthy meats. You HAVE to have fat in this diet in order for it to work, but most of your carb intake should be from vegetables. They key is to take in the more unhealthy fats in moderation. It can be a healthy diet if done correctly, and is very good for controlling blood sugar for anyone that is at risk for Diabetes.

At my weight today, I have lost 29 lbs since going on the diet the first time. I feel better and my blood work and check-ups at the Doctor are better, so I am also healthier.

So, now here's the caveat. I have found it to be impossible to stay on Atkins long term. I simply cannot get enough variety of foods in my diet, and due to the fact that I am the only one in my household on the diet I am constantly reminded of what I am missing. So, going forward, I am going to try to limit my intake of potatoes, bread (minimal quantities of high fiber only), pasta, and sugar. Continue to eat a lot of vegetables, fruits in moderation, and limit myself when it comes to unhealthy meats such as bacon, sausage, and beef. Fish, chicken, turkey, and other lean meats will make up the bulk of my meat intake. AND, increase my physical activity. Maybe a more common sense approach will work better for me long-term.

Last year my wife broke her ankle. A plate and nine screws to splice it together.
4 months in bed with leg raised.
I began to feed us steamed vegetables with a little cheese sprinkled on top.
No meat, no special regemen.
I also had my first attack of GOUT. No meat, no shellfish, no wheat, no BEER.
I eat as much as I want, as long as it's veggies, fruits, nuts, wine is ok.
Waist was 42, now 38.
Still shrinking.

Monday, my doc prescribed me 3 months of phentermine. I knew guys who used it in the service. My appetite has dropped through the floor since Wednesday. Being largely sedentary because of my back and neck has me heavier than I should be. He does 3 months on and 3 months off, and it's my job to watch food intake and exercise as much as I am physically able. It'll be interesting to see how well this works.

Last year my wife broke her ankle. A plate and nine screws to splice it together.
4 months in bed with leg raised.
I began to feed us steamed vegetables with a little cheese sprinkled on top.
No meat, no special regemen.
I also had my first attack of GOUT. No meat, no shellfish, no wheat, no BEER.
I eat as much as I want, as long as it's veggies, fruits, nuts, wine is ok.
Waist was 42, now 38.
Still shrinking.

I would contemplate suicide at that point.

I've lost 55 lbs since Jan 2 on low/no carb. For veggies in your garden you should try to grow spinach and leafy greens. Most peppers have lower carbs also. Though the leafy greens have carbs they also have fiber which cancels out the negatives from the carbs. I'd be careful with tomatoes. They are fairly high carb.

I usually eat a couple hard boiled eggs for breakfast. Sometimes I cook up some smoked but uncured bacon. Make sure you read the bacon labels or know what's in it. Sugar or maple cured bacon defeats the purpose if you want low carb. Sometimes I just stop at Jack In The Box and get extreme sausage sandwiches and just toss the bun. You have to be careful with sausage though. Most of it has carbs.

There are a lot of rumors about aspartame being toxic but the researchers at US FDA pointed out flaws in the European study that made the claim (which is what all of the rumors seem to be based on). The people who need to avoid it have a specific reaction and are rare. The toxins that it does break down into are even more abundant in natural meats, vegetables, dairy, and fruit. A good story is hard to kill though so you will hear the rumor being spread again and again.

My experience only. I won't advise you how to lose weight. I'm happy with my progress though.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top