JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Don’t normally “share” (not much for it generally) but I just wanted to mention how happy my family and I are now that we’ve moved to Oregon. I took my wife and kid out shooting with some friends of ours last Saturday – my kid for the first time. He’s five (six in a few months) and I got him a Henry Youth Bolt action. He didn’t know about it so we sprung it on him when we got to the place (in the middle of BLM 30 minutes from my house – AWESOME!) and he lost his mind! He did a great job of listening to me and obeying the rules. Mommy and Daddy are very proud of him for that! He knew that one infraction would stop the day and we’d leave so he was on very good behavior. Amazing day!

First time shooter – man, I’ll probably not see a five year old first time shooter again for many years. My own little guy’s first time and it was in the wonderful state of Oregon.

Couldn’t be happier. :D

BTW: The Henry Youth Bolt Action is probably the cutest rifle I’ve ever seen! Even some non-gun types I’ve showed it to thought it was cute.

Very cool first time experience. He WILL remember this for a looooong time. We need more Oregonians like you to offset the "other" side.

I hope he does Mark. He asked on Sunday, at least four times, if we could go shoot his .22 again. It killed me to say that we'd have to do it next weekend but house chores called. :(

My wife is now fully hooked as well! I got her a TRR8 for her b-day last year (before we moved out of the evil empire south of here) and had her shoot a SGL20 I just got. Now she's excited about going to the Portland show in a few weeks. :s0155:

Additionally, we've meet some good people we can share all of this with.

Again, I honestly couldn't be happier.

Thank you for sharing. sounds like some more great times to come. I myself enjoy keeping my family involved.
for the portland show. I take that you mean the show at the expo center. If you are a bi mart member be sure to take your card. I think it is 2 bucks off at the door.

Thank you for sharing. sounds like some more great times to come. I myself enjoy keeping my family involved.
for the portland show. I take that you mean the show at the expo center. If you are a bi mart member be sure to take your card. I think it is 2 bucks off at the door.

There's no other way - I love that my family is involved. She also mentioned to me that she wants to go hunting. I'm a very, very luck man.

Yup, the collectors west three day show at the Expo. Can't wait to go! We are bi mart members that's a great tip thank you! Four bucks is enough to buy one box of Wolf 7.62x39! :)

that is great to hear. i had my 5 year old daughter out for the first time this summer. she loved it. All my kids have learned to shoot at a very young age as did I. Truly believe starting this tradition early is the best. Have fun, shoot often.

Great to hear it. Good to see you are starting him young--and with a henry.

I bought my son a spankin new henry 22LR lever action for his 10th bday, which just happened to coincide with the day he graduated his Oregon Hunters Safety course. He was so happy. He loves that gun and loved hunting this last year with me and his grandpa and his uncles. Good family activity, to be sure.

I've lived here most of my life though. It's great to see someone that has moved here from somewhere else having the same family experiences.

Enjoy!

Yes, I can't think of many other places I'd rather live.
Where did you shoot? I have couple places I go - one on Wolf Creek and the other on Fisk Rd.
I'm a member at the Baron's Den so if you haven't checked it out, I could meet you there one day and maybe put a few rounds down range together.

I'm trying to figure out how to get my 5 year old son started too, so I may check out one of the Henry youth rifles too.

Yes, I can't think of many other places I'd rather live.
Where did you shoot? I have couple places I go - one on Wolf Creek and the other on Fisk Rd.
I'm a member at the Baron's Den so if you haven't checked it out, I could meet you there one day and maybe put a few rounds down range together.

I'm trying to figure out how to get my 5 year old son started too, so I may check out one of the Henry youth rifles too.

You know, I can't think of any where else I'd want to live ORBrit. My wife and I are both members at the Barons Den actually. I think I mentioned it before but I got her a S&W TRR8 for her birthday last year and she shot my AK for the first time when we took my son shooting and she loved it.

We went to a place up past Leaburg. I'm not familiar with Wolf Creek or Fisk road though - probably be good to know where to go on both accounts.

PM me and we can figure out something. I'll bring my son's Henry and you can look at it - guarantee you'll buy one. It's the most adorable little rifle I've ever seen.

Thank you all for the kind responses you've provided. I feel more at home here than I ever did in California (and I was born in Sac and raised in Vallejo [east SF bay area]). Moved out just shy of my 40th birthday and I'll never move back. Oregon provides a sense of freedom I've not known for decades.

Again, thank you all for the kindness you've shown me.

Prepare yourself now for the impending "talk" with his teacher and or principal the first time he emntions it at school. My son now almost 8 has had his chipmunk since he was 5, every year usually within the first week or two of school and subsequently almost everytime we go shooting I get a call to come in for a conference.

And everytime it's the same ole story.
* Teach/principal - Hello again Mr. Gunner
* Me - Are we going to have the same old tired conversation again?
* Teach/principal - Little Gunner has been constantly talking aobut "his" gun and it really makes his teacher and myself nervous.
* Me - Guess that's a yes so let's just cut to the chase. My son owns his own rifle. It's currently locked unloaded in my safe with the rest of the firearms that I own. He does not have access to them unless under the direct supervision of myself or my wife.
* Teach/principal - We understand that but we really need for Little Gunner to not talk about such things at school because as I said it makes us nervous.
*Me - Is he making threats to anybody? Is he saying that he is planning something? Is he acting suicidal? etc etc...
* Teach/principal - No his grades are actually coming up and he is truly a good student.
* Me - So even though there is no hint of potential violence or anti-social behavior you are asking me to infringe on my sons 1st and 2nd amendment rights? Does that about sum it up? Because if that is correct this meeting is done and the district will be contacted by my lawyer.

At which point the teacher / principal generally gets flustered and appologises alot saying that that is not their intention and that they are just trying to find a way to make everybody happy.

I've had this conversation 3 times this year already.. same principal with 2 different teachers... Stupid tools

I've had this conversation 3 times this year already.. same principal with 2 different teachers... Stupid tools

I think "stupid tools" sums them up perfectly. What a waste of your time Gunner. It sounds like your son is doing really well, they had no basis for what they've done (keep doing). Idiots. I'm from CA so I'm generally kinda cagey about advertising that I own firearms. My son (in K) told his teacher that his Daddy told him he'd take him shooting. I didn't expect him not to say anything but I've told him not to talk about what we have with other people (again, that GD CA thing still poking through). I didn't honestly expect him not to say anything - he's five!

At any rate, the teacher mentioned that he'd been a good boy, obeyed her, etc. and that he mentioned that I was going to take him shooting. Her reaction? "Oh, I'm from Montana. I don't have a problem with guns, my family hunts and shoots, my fiance hunts...". It was no problem at all. In fact she's reminded him that he has to work for rewards like going shooting with me. We've seriously lucked out I suppose.

I appreciate the heads-up though. It'll come at some point I'm sure.

Thanks Gunner, take care man it sounds like you're doing a great job with him.

I dunno I've made a few sales at my kids school! Well not there, but meeting other parents. Even in Eugene there's some good ones out there!! Maybe I'm lucky cuz I had the time to talk with their teachers ahead of time. I'm def looking forward to some nicer weather, and would love a trip back east for some fun shooting!

I dunno I've made a few sales at my kids school! Well not there, but meeting other parents. Even in Eugene there's some good ones out there!! Maybe I'm lucky cuz I had the time to talk with their teachers ahead of time. I'm def looking forward to some nicer weather, and would love a trip back east for some fun shooting!

Agreed! When it clears up lets go man!

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top