JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Isn't MR. Leatherman ANTI - GUN? Yes, as a matter of fact he his!

First off, thanks (sarcastically) for the thread crap.

Second, there is nothing in the letter you posted that addresses firearms or gun rights.

Third, you forgot to include the clarification letter (or "back peddal" [your spelling, not mine] as you call it):

"I have received lots of e-mails because of my endorsement of the Kerry/Edwards ticket. Some of you merely made an inquiry as to whether it was true. Some of you supported my position. Some of you opposed, but were polite, and offered well reasoned arguments as why I should not have done what I did – interesting food for thought.

Far more of you stated very, very emphatically that you were no longer going to buy LEATHERMAN products and were going to tell family, friends, co-workers, and everyone else with whom you come in contact to no longer do so either. Some used unbelievably crude and vulgar language. Some made accusations, that if proven, would get me executed. At least one of you stated you hope I'll rot in the place the opposite of heaven. Most of you, merely because I publicly stated how I was going to vote, jumped to a lot of unjustified and untrue conclusions about my positions on the issues.

I did endorse Kerry/Edwards. However, the endorsement was personal. No corporate money (or personal either, for that matter), was contributed to any candidate, any party, PAC, or any political entity what-so-ever. In the endorsement I did include my job title and the company I work for, and since my name and the company name are the same, many of you said the endorsement was by the company. Some of you say claiming after the fact that the endorsement was personal isn't good enough to escape your wrath. If you were one of them, I don't think anything I can say will change your mind. If you were not one of them, you'll have to decide for yourself.

For many of you, gun control was your one and only issue. Some of you saw Kerry (and still see – I am still getting e-mails written as if the election had not yet occurred) quite literally as an enemy (or worse) for one thing and only one thing – because of how you feel he feels about gun control. One person went so far as to tell me that I am his enemy because being a friend of his enemy makes me his enemy. Amazingly, all those people decided to boycott my company and called me all those names without a single one asking me my position on gun control. My position is, assuming you are a law abiding citizen and own weapons that are legal to own, that no one should be able to take your guns away from you. I own a rifle and shotgun myself.

Some of you have jumped to the conclusion that I don't want hunters and fishermen (and women) to have access to public lands for hunting and fishing. That is incorrect. I too am a hunter and fisherman.

Some of you have jumped to the conclusion that I am anti-military. I am not. I think some wars need to be fought. Some of you think I am anti Vietnam era veterans. I am not. I have never been in the military, but I lived in Vietnam for over two years (Aug. '72 – April '75). I am probably one of the few Americans of my generation to pay his own way to get there.

Just because I said I was going to vote for Kerry didn't mean that I supported every position Kerry took. And I acknowledge, there were times when it was tough to figure out what his position was. I did (and do) believe that some of the things George W. Bush did during his first term in office were not good for the country. Overall, I felt we needed a change of leadership, but a majority of the country thought otherwise.

Almost all of you said I have a right to my opinion, but having stated my opinion, you have a right to try to punish me economically by not buying LEATHERMAN tools. I agree. You do. With your personal money. (Not government money. See below.) Some of you were concerned that by buying LEATHERMAN tools company funds would go to support political candidates in which you did not believe. I have already assured you that neither company funds nor personal funds went to any candidate, party, PAC, or other political entity. It also seems to me you are being highly selective in only going after those of us who were willing to stand up and state our opinion and not require someone from every company from which you buy anything to state a politically correct opinion or risk a boycott. Also, it seems unfair to me to penalize all the employees of a company when one of the employees states an opinion you oppose. Over 300 people work at Leatherman Tool Group, Inc. Many employees do not share my opinions. U.S. manufacturing jobs are already disappearing fast enough without taking a hit from those of you who undoubtedly consider yourselves to be patriotic Americans.

Most of you are worried about encroachments on your rights. I'm worried too. Some of you say you work for government agencies, and have control over purchases for your agency, and that you will no longer buy LEATHERMAN tools because of how I voted. I would think that is illegal. How would you feel if it comes to the point that individual government employees make decisions on government purchases or providing government services based on the public positions you are taking? How would you feel if a fire fighter refused to come to your home to put out a fire because he or she didn't like something you said in public?

It seems to me more reasonable to consider whether to buy a product on the merits of the product itself, not on how one of the employees of the company said he was going to vote.

I have to admit I was surprised by the outpouring of response. Some of you pointed out it's Business 101 to not offend your customers. Now that I am looking back, I agree with you. I guess my problem is that I never took Business 101. I graduated in Engineering. And I never realized that merely publicly stating how I was going to vote would bring such virulent responses. I would have thought that if you didn't agree with how I was going to vote, but knowing I had already decided, you would have put your efforts into convincing the undecided to vote your way, rather than try to convince me to change my mind, but I guess you didn't see it that way.

I hope I have given enough information so that those of you who still have open minds can decide how you feel about LEATHERMAN. If not, I'd be happy to answer any questions you might have.

Tim Leatherman
President, Leatherman Tool Group, Inc.
Now then... Just because someone supports or has supported a Democratic candidate doesn't automatically mean that they are anti-gun. Mr. Leatherman may not be as rabidly pro-gun as I am (in fact I'm almost certain of it), but he's not actively campaigning for restrictions of our rights. Leatherman is a local, Oregon-based company that has kept it's manufacturing in the United States. In my world that far outweighs which candidate he supported in an election 10 years ago.

I believe you can easily find his responses to criticism in 2004 with a quick google search. They indicate he is/was aware what he was donating towards. He flat out asked that consumers don't punish the company for his "personal" opinions.

I'm sorry about the thread crap... overzealous I guess.

I believe you can easily find his responses to criticism in 2004 with a quick google search. They indicate he is/was aware what he was donating towards. He flat out asked that consumers don't punish the company for his "personal" opinions.

I'm sorry about the thread crap... overzealous I guess.

I did find his response; in fact I just posted it. Did you take a chance to read it?

Since we're all hung up on owners and their politics, at the very least Tim Leatherman is American. Remember Gerber is owned by by Fiskars, a Finnish company and Kershaw is owed by KAI Group, a Japaneses company. While I doubt I'd by another Gerber knife, simply because it seems their quality gone down. I have no problems buying Kershaw's made here in Oregon, because I choose to support my local businesses.

"Now then... Just because someone supports or has supported a Democratic candidate doesn't automatically mean that they are anti-gun."

Actually, it pretty much does regardless of intension.
And someone that that would monetarily support the Kerry/Edwards ticket in a substantial way and thinks that by pretending the company he owns, and controls is somehow separated from him by it being incorporated, is not showing a lot of respect for the intelligence of the public.
Has he or the "Company" donated to anyone he opposed? Have they also donated to the NRA or other shooting organizations? Probably not. Did he "convince" the other board members or top management to donate to Dems? Probably.

That being said, it is a free country (until his pal Kerry's Party is done with it) and anyone should donate to anyone/anything they want to without repercussion or fear of reprisal. Boycotts from either end of the political spectrum make me uneasy for several reasons, not the least of which is they tend to create a climate that can stifle speech. If the product is good and backed with integrity buy it. If there is another version made by some else that is as good or good enough for you, buy it.
If you want to piss off tree huggers, stretch pants cyclists and PETA types, tell every one that you know or meet that you use your Leatherman for HUNTING because it makes a good GUN tool.

If you want to boycott someone...don't by Russian ammo or weapons Or anything from China.

Try American first ... Buy American if possible ...
Quality remains long after the price (and questionable political choices) are forgotten.

Last Edited:
So, this was 11years ago? Personally, I have all the Leathermans I'll need for the rest of my life, as they stand behind their products 100%. My guess is most on this forum do as well, so screaming about his political choice a decade ago seems a bit trite.

Since we're all hung up on owners and their politics, at the very least Tim Leatherman is American. Remember Gerber is owned by by Fiskars, a Finnish company and Kershaw is owed by KAI Group, a Japaneses company. While I doubt I'd by another Gerber knife, simply because it seems their quality gone down. I have no problems buying Kershaw's made here in Oregon, because I choose to support my local businesses.

Yeah sad. Gerber began in Willamette/West Linn and made some nice products for many years.
I still have one of their fillet knives new in the box from the 60's. The new stuff. I don't like at all.
I broke the center pin on 5 pair of Leatherman tools, and they just kept giving me bigger better ones, and now they have a solid hardcore wire cutter. I broke them cutting fencing out of a flail mower while doing lots of fields. Never had them even flinch at replacing them and trying to improve them.

I would hate to find out they were supporting anti gun causes, because that would make me never buy their product again. Regardless of how good the product may be.
I had not heard any of this before.

I have owned there products from day one. Have been through probably at least 6 different products. I know for a fact there are at least 2 that will become a time capsule in the Portland area..... lost while working and could not get them back:( enclosed in a wall to be opened up later.... hell welded one up and got it back but it did take a while.... I will say this a product that you can not have a issue with! Plain and simple you break it they give you a new one or the next generation......

As long as you break it before 25 years is up. And really who wont do that might as well be lifetime warranty. If you look inside the handles there is a date stamped in there.

I tried to ask last time my leatherman if I can use the credit towards another model and the lady told me you can but it's only about a $10 credit. So I would assume the cost of making it is really low and they can replace an item a few times before even losing money.
And most people probably just throw thrm away or in a drawer when they break.
The one I returned last time one of our techs at work, when he quit he just left it in the trash. So I took it in and got a new one!

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top