JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I love shooting my little Ruger MkIII. It's so light and easy to shoot with super cheap ammo. It's just a really fun little gun to shoot.

But, man, I HATE to disassemble and reassemble it for cleaning. There's just something wrong with having to use a hammer to disassemble and reassemble a pistol! The barrel and frame are so friggin' tight, there's no other way to get it apart. Thankfully, I have enough practice now that I can get the mainspring pin back in with only a couple of swear words instead of an endless string of profanity.

Why, oh why, did they design the pistol this way?! And why the heck did they add that stupid magazine safety to it?! It's just one extra unnecessary step of annoyance...

Sorry for the rant...but I just finished cleaning it and had to vent with a group of folks who might understand.

Why go thru all that when all you really have to do is brush the barrel and the slide?
Oh and the chamber.
Then spray the PEE tadlers out of the rest.
No reason to take the gun down every time

Heck my Buckmark has to have the barrel removed and then the slide mechanism.
Why take this down? I brush the head?/chamber end of the barrel,the face of the slide,and the bore.
Wipe everything I can get to with a rag and those long,wooden swabs .
My Buckmark shoots everything I feed it and does it very accurately.

No reason in the world to completely disassemble a MK III or a buckmark for cleaning.

Thanks for the suggestion on the Speed Strip kit. I've seen that site before and wondered how well it worked. Sounds like you guys are pretty happy with it. Does it also remove the magazine safety? I know that Volquartsen makes some accurizing kits that do that too, but they're pretty spendy (~$125).

What's with the bushing? Where does that go?

As for the barrel/frame tightness, I may just stop taking that apart or do it infrequently. Even with a non-marring plastic hammer, the finish has gotten pretty scuffed up. Funny, though, that my dad's stainless MkII goes together and comes apart much more easily. And it hasn't been used or disassembled much more than mine has...

Thanks for the suggestion on the Speed Strip kit. I've seen that site before and wondered how well it worked. Sounds like you guys are pretty happy with it. Does it also remove the magazine safety? I know that Volquartsen makes some accurizing kits that do that too, but they're pretty spendy (~$125).

What's with the bushing? Where does that go?

As for the barrel/frame tightness, I may just stop taking that apart or do it infrequently. Even with a non-marring plastic hammer, the finish has gotten pretty scuffed up. Funny, though, that my dad's stainless MkII goes together and comes apart much more easily. And it hasn't been used or disassembled much more than mine has...

The bushing replaces the parts that make up the magazine safety. If you get the Majestic kit with the 3.2 bushing then it will remove the mag safety and mags will now drop nicely from the magwell.

I have both MK II and MK III 22/45s. The MK III is tougher to take apart than the MK II, but doing it a few times it gets easier. I did the mag safety removal on the MK III and put in a VQ Target Sear, and now the trigger is lighter and smoother than stock. I used 2 washers rather than the bushing you can buy, and the gun shoots great. I plan to install a VQ Target Sear in the MK II down the line, but am in less of a hurry, as the MK II trigger is pretty good already.

You can get a lot of great info for the Rugers at RimfireCentral.com - Rimfire Community!

I have found a ton of useful info there including getting some grips for my MK III 22/45(mine is the regular model, not the Replaceable Grip model). I also found the info for the mag safety delete process that I used the 2 washers instead of the bushing.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Capitalism is BO$$!!!