JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Driving out Lousignont today for the first time in many years I noticed every side road for the 1st 2 or so miles had a sign of NO target shooting threatening with prosecution.

This went on until I came upon the one depicted. First time for me but probably familiar to many members here. It had sign saying it had bben cleared by NWF members. The sign was shot up, there was a fire still smoldering, almost 14.5 lbs brass left on the ground and a bunch of other garbage.

The pic doesn't do the damage justice, I literally couldn't walk around without stepping on brass. Let alone find my own.

I totally understand the NO target shooting signs now :-(

LouSignont.jpg

That was April 2nd our clean-up group split up and cleaned that site. Got to wonder what these idiots think will be in the future for these sites?

All I can say is pick up what ever brass you can as there is a storm coming after this next election and brass will be $$. Of course I bet a LOT of that is not brass but steel case?

14.5 lbs brass it was that I picked up there. Most of it 5.56, plus some trash & put the fire out. I didn't get many steel cases since they are hard to see when the start to rust.

14.5 lbs brass it was that I picked up there. Most of it 5.56, plus some trash & put the fire out. I didn't get many steel cases since they are hard to see when the start to rust.

Good for you! Funny how 3-4 years ago you were hard pressed to find ANY brass at these sights. Dumbasses have no use for brass now that ammo is readily available? I'll NEVER stop scrounging brass! It's like stumbling on a place in the forest where the ground covered in nickles and dimes!!

I know this thread is a few months old but I just realized this is where I parked to hunt grouse up in the hills a few weeks ago. This site was completely trashed. Worst shooting site I've ever seen. I would definetly nominated it for a future cleanup day.

It was trashed and deserved to be closed. Wolf Creek lanes are a short drive away.
This, but the main reason was the trees were the back stop. Which is not a backstop.

We are actively logging in dispersed shooting lanes like these were a tree line is essentially the backstop.

We are looking to stop this type of behavior and promote areas with earthen backstops.

It was trashed and deserved to be closed. Wolf Creek lanes are a short drive away.

Problem is, the lanes at Wolf Creek are packed that day, most likely.

I've seen a couple good places to shoot around Beaver Damn road blocked with rock so there hardly a place to park. Decent clearcut and back stop. Easy to clean up too. My fear is that TSF will close many areas that people have been shooting at which will make Wolf Creek constantly packed. People blocking the road, (with a canoe was it?), or poly cones and keeping it for the day. We still need more places than Wolf Creek for people to shoot. The problem is to get the people to shoot smart and with respect to the forest. Not closing of all other places.

Problem is, the lanes at Wolf Creek are packed that day, most likely.

I've seen a couple good places to shoot around Beaver Damn road blocked with rock so there hardly a place to park. Decent clearcut and back stop. Easy to clean up too. My fear is that TSF will close many areas that people have been shooting at which will make Wolf Creek constantly packed. People blocking the road, (with a canoe was it?), or poly cones and keeping it for the day. We still need more places than Wolf Creek for people to shoot. The problem is to get the people to shoot smart and with respect to the forest. Not closing of all other places.

Big reason I don't like Wolf Creek (besides zero tree cover and crap parking). It's always crowded. I love shooting, but I prefer some solitude. Trees, and birds. Dispersed will always be my preference.

Big reason I don't like Wolf Creek (besides zero tree cover and crap parking). It's always crowded. I love shooting, but I prefer some solitude. Trees, and birds. Dispersed will always be my preference.

I follow you. This time of year I would fear shooting where there's any brush, or dry needle/leaves. Worst nightmare, having a fire start where a person had been shooting earlier. The Wolf Creek lanes, and the Beaver Dam Pit are a pretty safe bet. Some of the other dispersed areas in The Tillamook that I've checked out would be pretty scary at this time.

Trust us, we know that the Wolf Creek lanes are popular and we need more opportunities built like them.

In the mean time, we are blessed to have tons of acres of land and miles of logging roads to explore.

There are lots of safe spots with earthen berms throughout the forest that are not Wolf Creek or Louisignot.

@CombatMechanic I knew going into the closure it would not sit well with everyone, but I hope at least you can see the flaws with these two lanes and that there was simply no proper backstop?

And with that, I hope the next best place you do find, has a good backstop.

I knew going into the closure it would not sit well with everyone, but I hope at least you can see the flaws with these two lanes and that there was simply no proper backstop?

And with that, I hope the next best place you do find, has a good backstop.

We went and did a little exploring on Louisignot and I did see there were some pretty poor places where people had been shooting. So, yeah.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top