JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I can here them from several streets over. Seems like no matter where you go they are all over. It's bad enough in town, but even at home it's annoying AF to hear boooom boom boom BOOOOOOM from these loud sound systems in cars. It's like people have no consideration for others. And apparently imposing your music and disturbing the quiet enjoyment of others homes is perfectly legal or at least if there is a law (some cities like Tacoma have laws against this) it is not enforced.

I can't WAIT to move to the country, though people always tell me there are loud aholes all over the place there too.

:D:mad::D:mad:
I hear you :D
It is a form of aggression of course, to drive around like that especially when they park outside others homes blasting that crap. Some go to amazing expense to make the car sound like that. Often they end up with no trunk space as the entire thing is a giant speaker system. If you get out away from other people you will of course hear less of it. Does not mean there will be none. Years ago they used to cite people for this with some REALLY heavy fines. I have not heard of this for many years now. Some may have claimed it was the Cops "profiling" certain people or something, don't know for sure.

I also find them annoying. I only find them offensive when they are blasting loud rap music with disgusting lyrics in public with small children around.

There are laws against them but we are witnessing the Broken Windows Theory becoming reality. Cops in many jurisdictions either simply don't have time to enforce minor laws, or lack the will. The result is an increase in crime and severity.

Broken Windows Theory
The broken windows theory is a criminological theory that states that visible signs of crime, anti-social behavior, and civil disorder create an urban environment that encourages further crime and disorder, including serious crimes. The theory suggests that policing methods that target minor crimes, such as vandalism, loitering, public drinking, jaywalking and fare evasion, help to create an atmosphere of order and lawfulness, thereby preventing more serious crimes.
Broken windows theory - Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broken_windows_theory

If I turned up the sound system in my F350 past 30% the sound monitor on my apple watch goes crazy. If I had this sucker in high school I'd be deaf right now.

If I turned up the sound system in my F350 past 30% the sound monitor on my apple watch goes crazy. If I had this sucker in high school I'd be deaf right now.
I thought the pinnacle of sound systems was when I installed two Infinity 6x9 speakers in the doors of my 1966 F100 and an Alpine cassette player.

I had a Mustang a few years ago with the factory Mach 500 sound system and it was absolutely amazing to an audio neophyte like me.

did not the brain trust in black robes rule that the thumping crap was considered freedom of speech?

regardfless, its disrespectful to everyone around them and they should all be beaten and their ride set a fire.

You ever notice that it's always the people with the loudest stereos that have the worst taste in music? :rolleyes:

And what is with the motor cycles driving around with the volume cranked up to 11? I understand out on the open road. That's fine, go crazy. But when you're riding through a residential neighborhood at 5 a.m? WTF?

Bluesmobile_at_House_of_Blues_Dallas_-_3-4_view.jpg

I also find them annoying. I only find them offensive when they are blasting loud rap music with disgusting lyrics in public with small children around.
So, you've met my new neighbors, too, eh? A charming lot, aren't they...?? o_O

This is done by young men as part of a ritual to get the attention of girls. In my day it was loud exhaust pipes and a V-8 engine. It says that the fellow is "edgy" and on the prowl. I hate it too.

Portland is outta control on this and I've lived in a few much bigger cities. I hate these punks. The new thing is the crackle tune. I did have a diesel truck with straight pipes but tried to keep it cool in neighborhoods. It's not going to get better unless a few things happen.

Last Edited:
Not only "sound systems". But also "mufflers" (or the lack of effective ones).

Rrrrright.....the cops need a decibel meter before something really can be done. Too many lawyers out there.

Aloha, Mark

Not only "sound systems". But also "mufflers" (or the lack of effective ones).

Rrrrright.....the cops need a decibel meter before something really can be done. Too many lawyers out there.

Aloha, Mark
I much prefer straight pipes from a decently strong 6 to 8 cylinder engine in either gasoline or diesel or even methanol flavor, to the "sound systems" and 4 cylinder engines.... although, there are surely some 4 cylinders that make sweet sweet sounds... like the Offy 4 cyl Indy/Midget engines... and the Pontiac Iron Duke amazingly lol. But then again... those engines made loads of torque and horses without needing sky high RPMs like the mower engines of the Hondas and their ilk ;)

I love a nice-sounding exhaust. I believe my 2019 4Runner is the first vehicle I've owned that I haven't modified the exhaust of.

My favorite exhaust was my 1966 F100 with a 352, headers, and glasspacks. Amazingly good sound!

I'm getting perilously close to the half century mark and I still have very good hearing. I attribute it to a couple things:
1. Always using hearing protection at work and at the range.
2. My lifelong dislike of loud music.

I know a lot of you all are judging me right now for the latter. I can't help it, it's just who I am. I think I've been to three concerts in my life, and absolutely hated them- WAY too loud and crowded, couldn't wait to leave. At times I feel like I'm missing out on something in life that everyone else seems to enjoy.

I always wonder about the people the turn up the bass to the point that their cars rattle all over. The music by itself is one thing but a rattling car is one of those most irritating things on the planet... do they actually enjoy that?

I'm getting perilously close to the half century mark and I still have very good hearing. I attribute it to a couple things:
1. Always using hearing protection at work and at the range.
2. My lifelong dislike of loud music.

I know a lot of you all are judging me right now for the latter. I can't help it, it's just who I am. I think I've been to three concerts in my life, and absolutely hated them- WAY too loud and crowded, couldn't wait to leave. At times I feel like I'm missing out on something in life that everyone else seems to enjoy.
No, you're not.

Felt the same way in my concert-going days. And the acts that I did see were far tamer than those to which my contemporaries went.

They went to AC/DC, Van Halen, KISS, etc., while I went to The Moody Blues, ELO, Pink Floyd, Bruce Springsteen, and Elton John. And even those were too loud for me...

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top