JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I prefer my 30 over my 14, but then again I'm a big fan of the x39 round.
We have a 12x steel set up across the draw in the front yard @ 350 yards and yesterday some friends and I were doing a little shooting, I had to smile when two them were shocked when I wacked it 40 out of 40 shots.

They were just poor uninformed victims of all the "mini's ain't accurate" hype, and I do believe they have changed their minds:D

To be fair, you can thank the older ones for the hype. A lot of my older relatives bought the mini-14s back then, few of the ones they got were okay, most weren't . The newer ones they got were good to go though.

A mini-14 is one of the rifles I need to add to my collection, on top of many others. Variety is the spice of life. Plus if I don't, I'm going to catch the black gun bug.

I prefer my 30 over my 14, but then again I'm a big fan of the x39 round.
We have a 12x steel set up across the draw in the front yard @ 350 yards and yesterday some friends and I were doing a little shooting, I had to smile when two them were shocked when I wacked it 40 out of 40 shots.

They were just poor uninformed victims of all the "mini's ain't accurate" hype, and I do believe they have changed their minds:D
If Ruger figured out why it doesn't like the cheap steel cased ammo I would have acquired a mini30 by now. Seems like they could solve that issue easy enough.

Mine flys steel cased ammo just fine.
I've read and heard of issues, but (knock wood) none of those horror stories have haunted it.
Maybe they have quietly figured it out. Is yours newer?

Ruger often makes subtle changes without telling the public.

The LCP I just bought used has a different slide hold open cutout than the first ones and the newest ones have different sights.

My older SR9 mag release is different than now.

I think they don't advertise some of these changes as it draws attention to the fact that there may have been something not ideal in the first place.

I'm gonna look into it. Maybe they figured it out. If so that's a damned handy rifle to have and now cheap to shoot!

I've owned two of the 582-series Mini Thirties. The first one would shoot any and all steel-cased commie ammo. The second would not. I know I could install a heavier hammer spring, but it was just not that important. So I shot brass-cased, boxer-primed ammo, exclusively.

WAYNO.

I've owned two of the 582-series Mini Thirties. The first one would shoot any and all steel-cased commie ammo. The second would not. I know I could install a heavier hammer spring, but it was just not that important. So I shot brass-cased, boxer-primed ammo, exclusively.

WAYNO.
Looks like hit and miss still with cheap ammo in the Mini 30 and the heavier spring might mess up the firing pin according to some.
The mini-14 does good with steel cased as long as you use a factory mag. I haven't shot a lot of it though myself in recent years.

Never tried but the polymer mags hang up on painted steel cased ammo according to various youtube reviews.

Looks like hit and miss still with cheap ammo in the Mini 30 and the heavier spring might mess up the firing pin according to some.
The mini-14 does good with steel cased as long as you use a factory mag. I haven't shot a lot of it though myself in recent years.

Never tried but the polymer mags hang up on painted steel cased ammo according to various youtube reviews.

Although I seldom use steel cased ammo in any of my Mini 14's, I have tried it for function, and in every case it's worked perfectly.

Magazines? I've tried multiple after-market magazines, and I give every one of them a failing grade. Mini 14's are really picky about their magazines. I will now only use genuine factory Ruger mags.

WAYNO.

Oh god... Everyone I hear that is pro-mini is just making excuses! I've had two of them, sold them both. One had an extractor snap (steel cased .223) and the other was just not a reliable shooter. Ruger factory mags (the only ones that work) are stupid expensive, and it just doesn't have the ergonomics or the aftermarket support that the AR has. Sorry Bill, but a semi-automatic rifle should go bang every time the trigger is pulled, regardless of whatever kind of magazine is feeding whatever kind of ammo. I hope your AR works better than your Mini does...

My mini .30 runs perfectly no matter what I run through it,
I just bought 1k's worth of cheap steel Russian ammo with confidence yesterday and I'd put it up against either of my DPMS's and Bushmasters in a run and gun competition.

The ammo price is about 1/2-2/3 that of the .223, so I could buy four 20 round "factory" mags with the savings for every thousand rounds if wish.

It's at least as accurate, stainless, self cleaning, harder hitting than the "little" .556/.223 and I never, ever have to use a forward assist.

You ever wonder why Ruger never installed a forward assist?
It doesn't need one!

The only excuse I've asked myself was the when I tried to rationalize why I thought I ever needed another AR.

If and when anybody could ever figure out how to produce an AR platform to reliably perform with the .762x39 round I would give them a second look.
So far that's just a pipe dream.
I have several AR's and Mini's
And I enjoy them all.

Yes they do have a .308 platforms and offer other caliber options that are sweet but the rifles, mags and ammunition are "stupid expensive" and some of the ammo is almost non existant in good factory offerings, not so with .763x39.

Many deer, bear and Elk have fallen to the .30-30 of which to x39 is slightly superior, though I personally wouldn't choose the 30-30 or x39 for Elk, I have no issue using it for Deer, cat or Black bear.
The little .223 (in my opinion) is the bare minimum one should ever use for Deer, and then with only well constructed bullets.
In fact in many states it's illegal to use for Deer, just saying.

You'll get no argument from me that .223 is a great coyote-man getter round, but to each their own. A human is about as fragile as a rabbit.

I'm sorry this has turned into an AR vs. Mini issue, both have their fans and detractors, but it was only a matter of time before it did I guess. But choices! Thank God for choices!
Both are good rifles and both have their uses.

My mini .30 runs perfectly no matter what I run through it,
I just bought 1k's worth of cheap steel Russian ammo with confidence yesterday and I'd put it up against either of my DPMS's and Bushmasters in a run and gun competition.

The ammo price is about 1/2-2/3 that of the .223, so I could buy four 20 round "factory" mags with the savings for every thousand rounds if wish.

It's at least as accurate, stainless, self cleaning, harder hitting than the "little" .556/.223 and I never, ever have to use a forward assist.

You ever wonder why Ruger never installed a forward assist?
It doesn't need one!

The only excuse I've asked myself was the when I tried to rationalize why I thought I ever needed another AR.

No offense, but that's a rather irrational rationalization about the AR and the forward assist.

I've NEVER had to use the forward assist because a round wouldn't chamber. I did use a forward assist when I'm hunting so the deer don't hear me from 10 miles away and say "OH CRAP! there's Bobo, let's go to the other woods so he doesn't get any of us with his AR." The one time I didn't use a forward assist to chamber a round when hunting, they probably did say that. :D

Reason for the forward assist on an AR: Non-reciprocating charging handle. Not all firearms without a reciprocating charging handle has a forward assist, but if its there in the design there's no point in forgoing it. Quietly chambering a round has its uses.

Reason for no forward assist on the Mini-14: You can push the charging handle forward. There's your forward assist. A forward assist on ANY rifle with a reciprocating charging handle is a waste, why? Because the reciprocating charging handle is BOTH a charging handle AND forward assist. So there, in way you actually do have a forward assist on the Mini-14.

Just food for thought: The Israeli FAL has a forward assist.

If and when anybody could ever figure out how to produce an AR platform to reliably perform with the .762x39 round I would give them a second look.

The little .223 (in my opinion) is the bare minimum one should ever use for Deer, and then with only well constructed bullets.
In fact in many states it's illegal to use for Deer, just saying.

Few things: Meh, never cared for 7.62x39 in an AR, but gas, magazine, and feed ramps come to mind when it comes to the issues... But no personal experience so my word is worth what you pay for it: free, with free S&H.

That being said, legal to use .223 on deer here. My little (little being .223/5.56) ARs I have are for deer, hog, varmints, and home defense. .223 is hardly a minimum for that here, should see the deer. They're like dogs with antlers. :) My .308? Black bear, and whenever I get to hunt in a state with bigger game.

Wasn't trying to do a AR vs. Mini-14 in this post if it comes across as that. I'll get a Mini-14 eventually, but even then my preference goes to the AR.

The only thing I don't like about the new mini is the price of factory mags (not that I own any guns) But they are steel mags BTW the mini-tactical has a forged barrel and there is a 762X39 Tactical

The only thing I don't like about the new mini is the price of factory mags (not that I own any guns) But they are steel mags BTW the mini-tactical has a forged barrel and there is a 762X39 Tactical
ALL new Mini's have cold forged barrels according to the new Ruger website

I had a good friend who was a Resident Deputy with San Bernardino SO for over a decade. Most of his roll area meant that his closest backup was 1-2 hours away (San Bernardino is the largest county in the US and is larger than several states).

Department issued a sidearm (Glock 9mm) with 2 mags and a Rem 870 with 12 rounds of ammo. They would not (for some reason) issue rifles to patrol officers.

He was "allowed" to carry his personal long gun as long as it was a Mini-14. So, he carried it (as well as ~200 rounds of ammo in loaded magazines).

If your choice is handgun/shotgun and you are pinned down by some dirt-bag who has moved to the desert to avoid being found or getting caught, I'd still take a Mini over nothing no matter how much it sucked.

This was 10+ years ago so I have no idea if it's still the case but, in the recent incident, you had both PD and SO on scene so who knows who had what.